WWC 4 MONTH CYCLE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see more information on this as well! What do they use to start/feed the cycle, lighting, water changes, etc?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind seeing this either but didn't they recommend using established live rock? It's my understanding that they are referring to live rock rich in organisms. Allowing a 4 month "cycle" would allow organisms to multiply and clean up any die off. This in turn would allow the tank to stabilize before adding coral additions. Just my take.

Thinking about it more would also allow the tank to be fallow for a set period to eliminate any diseases that fish could get. Also, giving time to eradicate any pest organisms like Aiptasia, bubble algae, bryopsis, etc etc

OP
OP
P

Peter Petronis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind seeing this either but didn't they recommend using established live rock? It's my understanding that they are referring to live rock rich in organisms. Allowing a 4 month "cycle" would allow organisms to multiply and clean up any die off. This in turn would allow the tank to stabilize before adding coral additions. Just my take.

Thinking about it more would also allow the tank to be fallow for a set period to eliminate any diseases that fish could get. Also, giving time to eradicate any pest organisms like Aiptasia, bubble algae, bryopsis, etc etc

I am planning on cycling a tank in January, I was planning on a (1) month dark period with a daily pitch of food. I was also going to add some pods. After a month turn on the light maybe start the refugium and add a small CUC for algae growth. But if WWC does (4) months, I would be willing to go with that.

tas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning a build and would also like to hear details on how they do their cycle

KhahnOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are soooo man by different way to interpret their 4 month cycle, it would be great to have more info.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they said the information is on the way as part of a more in depth series with BRS. They also said the cycle wasn't just the ammonia cycle @reeferfoxx I recall they said well established live rock as well - what that exactly means is ???

They also said the bare bottom tanks, while better in the long run, take 8 months to stabilize equivalent to a sand bed tank

Interesting stuff and looking forward to the follow up videos

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if this assumes starting with dry rock or live rock?
They're starting with live rock that has been 'wet for many years before it was put into this tank and kept wet' (paraphrasing). So some of that rock was probably near a decade old before it went into that tank. He states multiple times well established rock is very important.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but most people start with dry rock. It'd be more interesting to follow using what majority of people use...which is reef saver/dry rock.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the biggest questions we've received from Ryan's video and let me assure you..... all of this info will be covered by him in great detail in the upcoming episodes of this WWC/BRS System series. Much like the BRS160, this one will build on multiple episodes to bring us to a fully up and running tank. :)

Here's a response Ryan posted in another thread that hints at this point, but again he'll dive WAY deep into it in the upcoming episodes.

"We will dive into this deeper in the future but "the cycle" is going beyond just making sure ammonia isn't an issue. To some degree just letting the tank run for a few months will dramatically increase success rates. Not just mortalities but also things as simple as reducing the chances algae or other pests takes over a new tank. I think the logic here is this isn't the first rodeo for people attempting a wall to wall SPS tank so being patient is just part of good practice :)" -Ryan

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance there's an ETA for this?

He's got lighting queued up for this Friday, so I'm guessing in the next 2-3wks we should be seeing the episode on this. Ryan writes these on the weekend then comes in Monday to film, so we don't get a ton of heads up, but I know he mentioned it was soon. :)

JoeyDiesel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's got lighting queued up for this Friday, so I'm guessing in the next 2-3wks we should be seeing the episode on this. Ryan writes these on the weekend then comes in Monday to film, so we don't get a ton of heads up, but I know he mentioned it was soon. :)
Thanks Randy! The BRS team are such nice guys, gotta love the reefing community.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering about the 4 month cycle too. Sure hope they give lots of details. After seeing the WWC display tanks in person, I believe we should copy them......EXACTLY.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering about the 4 month cycle too. Sure hope they give lots of details. After seeing the WWC display tanks in person, I believe we should copy them......EXACTLY.

Only problem is it's a lot of work if your doing it yourself as a hobby. Not that we don't enjoy doing some or most of the tasks required, but WWC has a paid staff that cleans, monitors, tests, etc. These tanks like clockwork. Cleaning sand every week, glass every day, feeding every hour, etc... Hard to replicate that consistency at home, but not impossible.

I want to see the WWC employees home tanks, if any of them have one! Would be nice to see a real world application of these principals. Which I guess is what the BRS/WWC method will be! I'm following along and hope to see great success, but under normal hobbyist conditions!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back