Wwc coral gluing recommendation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3ffe74b0d34bd56fc99a63025ab1c4a7.jpg

I received some frags from wwc this past week and it came with the recommendation to use glue and epoxy. I was wondering what the benefits of using both epoxy and glue instead of using just glue or just epoxy?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One benefit to using the epoxy is so you can form it to the rock and give the coral a smooth even surface to encrust on without competing with coralline algae.

blkhawk10

Big U G baby!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefit of using the epoxy/super glue combo to me is (especially if you cut the frag off the plug) that usually the bottom of the frag isn't a flat surface. So I put the frag in the epoxy ball and it molds to the uneven surface and since it takes a while to fully harden I use the super glue around where the epoxy and frag meet to get a quicker hold. It makes it easier for me than holding a frag with an uneven surface and waiting for super glue to harden or putting it in epoxy alone.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question! As was mentioned previously, the epoxy works amazing at filling in the nooks and crannies that you would have to use half a bottle of glue just to get in there if it worked at all. And yes, the super glue sets quicker to hold it in place until the putty completely hardens.

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question! As was mentioned previously, the epoxy works amazing at filling in the nooks and crannies that you would have to use half a bottle of glue just to get in there if it worked at all. And yes, the super glue sets quicker to hold it in place until the putty completely hardens.

Do you use the same practice when gluing fresh cut frags to frag plugs?

cgonser9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting and seems like a good idea, something I may give a try. I have had good success just using the glue, but from time to time there is a tricky location or coral. Anyone have a good way to attack larger mini colonies without using a full tube of glue?

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting and seems like a good idea, something I may give a try. I have had good success just using the glue, but from time to time there is a tricky location or coral. Anyone have a good way to attack larger mini colonies without using a full tube of glue?

Use the same techniques, just use a larger amount of puddy (size of a golf ball) and you're good to go!

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply but any gel super glue like IC Gel and reef safe epoxy like TLF AquaStik will work great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back