WWC pricing is going through the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys can put a much of brown corals in a box call it a platinum Maroon frag pack and charge $600 for it will still sell. Just look up all the recent stories of ticked off customers, I don’t see any of that happening from the better sellers.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very mixed feelings about this. This hobby is getting ruined by ridiculous prices, I even got to the point where I was selling my HW for $50 just to try to ruin the market since it grew too fast for me. Ofc one person is not enough lol and other people still selling it for over $200 even tho stuff grows like weed smh.

But then again, unfortunately people are willing to pay stupid money for items such as Ecotech, WWC, and someone even bought one frag of my super rare awesome acan that you should totally buy using the link here because it's the only one in the world (no joke, one more frag still left). Companies that have something unique are gonna take advantage and control the market to make themselves bigger.

I heard that WWC bought Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 4s for only $250 each and Ecotech was still making profit.

Social media is power, and all the top companies are very innovative, all started with Victor, Lou, and Tony. The dynamic trio that KILLED the market. All because of the media. Then everyone hopped onto the trend.

Many people don't do the research and just buy whatever just because they have the money for it, thinking that it is normal prices. When in reality, the company they bought stuff from is just very well advertised. Dam media. Companies still take advantage of them regardless. Like a shepard with a bunch of sheeps. Also bans REALLY screwed the market.

Btw, the claims I made for my acan is mostly from Nic from Ultra Corals Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Mixed Up

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices are subjective.

If people are willing to pay $400 for a 1/2" tall stick, then the price will stay $400. If they sit on inventory for 6 months at $400 and no one is buying it, they will either lower the price, or continue to use real estate to keep it.

The best way to fight the ever growing prices of coral, is to stop paying ridiculous prices for the super duper ultra rare mega crush royal flush aussie gold whosawhatsit...

If people continue to pay these extortion level prices, then the prices will continue to rise.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices are subjective.

If people are willing to pay $400 for a 1/2" tall stick, then the price will stay $400. If they sit on inventory for 6 months at $400 and no one is buying it, they will either lower the price, or continue to use real estate to keep it.

The best way to fight the ever growing prices of coral, is to stop paying ridiculous prices for the super duper ultra rare mega crush royal flush aussie gold whosawhatsit...

If people continue to pay these extortion level prices, then the prices will continue to rise.
Not that easy to do. People ALWAYS wants something special if they have the money. It's like everything in life.

You don't have to buy the nicest stuff, there are always stuff you can get for dirt cheap.

Unfortunately, people want the things they can't have.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hawk the ebay auctions and grab whatever I can score cheap and do in store pickup . Frags are always healthy and clean but the smallest things I've ever seen. I don't even bother looking at anything in the store because they are literally 1/3 more than everyone else. Sometimes double.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there is no solution to this mess. This world is so small, but so big. People outside of forums are clueless. People getting into the hobby are clueless. It's not like we can tell people to stop, there is only so many people who can hear us. We just got to appreciate the things we can have, not everything in this hobby is $750.

This is the worst time of the hobby, and it is only getting worst, because people want things they can't have.

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sad that a person that loves this hobby has to take out All kinds of loans to be in this hobby. The prices on coral and fish has gotten ridiculous. The shipping is also starting to get out of hand. It’s sad that WWC, JF, and others are getting rich taking advantage of hobbies. The live sales are a joke. Price are raised for the sales. I wish someone would or could drop the prices to at least be far. Paying hundreds to thousands of dollars for a coral the size of a pea makes me sick. It seems that the prices as time goes is going up. I do want to say if we find LFS like the one in Duluth Ga. you can get all of the WWC, JF etc. corals for a good price. They bought all of the named corals and grew them out. They only order corals if something new comes out. Check them out, they have a lot of stock, and good prices. Shame on the crooks that robs hobbies.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sad that a person that loves this hobby has to take out All kinds of loans to be in this hobby. The prices on coral and fish has gotten ridiculous. The shipping is also starting to get out of hand. It’s sad that WWC, JF, and others are getting rich taking advantage of hobbies. The live sales are a joke. Price are raised for the sales. I wish someone would or could drop the prices to at least be far. Paying hundreds to thousands of dollars for a coral the size of a pea makes me sick. It seems that the prices as time goes is going up. I do want to say if we find LFS like the one in Duluth Ga. you can get all of the WWC, JF etc. corals for a good price. They bought all of the named corals and grew them out. They only order corals if something new comes out. Check them out, they have a lot of stock, and good prices. Shame on the crooks that robs hobbies.
Unfortunately, this type of stuff just doesn't happen in this hobby. Things like this happens everywhere in the world like shoes/clothing, cars, houses, etc. Everyone wants a Mercedes, but it doesn't mean you have to buy it. Same with corals like JF Homewrecker, or WWC Allstar, or whatever. Yeah, they're nice, but you don't have to buy it. Especially directly from them, there is always someone who's selling it cheaper than direct.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never bought anything from WWC simply because they do not convey value to me. My 450 is stuffed full of corals, the vast majority of which were acquired in trades with local reefers or from local frag swaps. I have bought a few colonies from divers den, but all but one were under $100 for good sized colonies. If folks want to spend $500 on a frag more power to them; I won’t. The most I have ever spent on a coral was $250 for a quarter sized rainbow chalice.

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a small dream of creating a co op. Without going into too much detail, doing a crowd sourced fundraiser to purchase / rent a warehouse and turning it into a grow out facility.

then folks can send in all their names coral frags, receive credit for corals, and even recognition amongst members.

then grow stuff out to be given back to Co op members at a reasonable price / point system.

even thought of using volunteer hours as points to buy things.

you get the gist of what I’m saying. We the hobbyist could make a grab at it.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say.. their frags are super healthy. I got some acros and nice palys over the summer in a live sale on here; they have outgrown all my preexisting frags in my tank, it’s truly impressive.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small dream of creating a co op. Without going into too much detail, doing a crowd sourced fundraiser to purchase / rent a warehouse and turning it into a grow out facility.

then folks can send in all their names coral frags, receive credit for corals, and even recognition amongst members.

then grow stuff out to be given back to Co op members at a reasonable price / point system.

Getting qt done correctly would be a huge issue. You would collect all the new and unknown diseases from peoples tanks unfortunately.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The problem is, corals can only grow so fast. ACI Aquaculture has a huge facility like this, running for 12 years, only can grow so much however. Within those 12 years, EVERYTHING changed. Aquaculture is a VERY rough business, countless of sleepless nights, especially the first few days. Also NO ONE is going to volunteer, you have to pay them or you get thieves and it is very hard work not to get paid.

I would say if you're only doing acros, MAYBE it's possible, but you really gotta know what you're doing. For example, if you don't see pH as a big importance, forget it. Your corals aren't gonna grow and you would be losing money than gaining. Many more examples like this.

For a big picture, you can't have a small dream.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I had a very similar idea actually. It's just so hard to find that many dedicated reefers willing to fund and house that type of set up.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a very similar idea actually. It's just so hard to find that many dedicated reefers willing to fund and house that type of set up.
Only way reefers would fund it if they see results. However you can't show results if you haven't even started. It's a very long process.

At least social media makes things easier now, but people don't utilize it as they should, unlike the big name companies ripping everyone off.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price have been up before the New store... I have no issue with their prices given they have 50+ employees, are OCD coral addicts, and clearly make sure corals are pest free to the best of their ability. With that said I could never afford to buy all frags from them but if I see something I really want and not gonna QT then I'd make the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back