Wyoming Clownfish hasn’t ate in a week

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got this clown a little over a week ago. Mind you I already had a clown in my waterbox 20 (smaller than the Wyoming) I brought it home and acclimated and put it in the tank. It was pretty happy, initially when I introduced them they immediately swam to each other swimming happily and fast it was great and a joy to see. So shortly after this spectacle, I fed frozen mysis. And they ate together like hogs. After the second day I noticed it became disinterested in food. And I kept my eye on it throughout the week and it still wouldn’t touch food and luckily one day I was watching it and noticed white stringy poop coming out of it. I kind of took note of that, but had to leave shortly after. so I kept trying to feed it everything all different foods mixing with entice yet no avail. So these last couple of days I’ve noticed it breathing heavily and hanging under the rock scape in the dark. So today I’ve had enough of seeing it like that and placed it into a QT tank and I’m currently dosing metroplex in hopes that it does something any recommendations would help how long should I keep this up? Should I do something else I’ve also noticed it’s tail fin has been getting chewed up as you can see in the video, it’s almost a square chunk missing but I have no idea how this would happen? The other clown in the tank is smaller than it, it’s a real juvenile. I’ve never seen it chasing the Wyoming either. So not a single clue what could of done the damage. I have attached a picture of him hanging under the rock, and a video of its breathing after placing it in the QT, and any opinions about the tailfin?

IMG_2176.png

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent video. I cannot count the rate - but it seems fast. I would consider 2 things - early Brooklynella (only because it's common in clowns - but wild) - and flukes. Was the fish in a general tank at the LFS (i.e potentially exposed?)

OP
OP
titlefight13

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video. I cannot count the rate - but it seems fast. I would consider 2 things - early Brooklynella (only because it's common in clowns - but wild) - and flukes. Was the fish in a general tank at the LFS (i.e potentially exposed?)
Thanks for the reply.
Any idea on which treatment to do first? I’ve been looking at this product called TRIMARIN by eSHa not sure if it’s worth waiting for the shipping or if it’s familiar to anybody.
But yes! He was with two other wyomings, they seemed fine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider ruby rally pro, can't comment on trimarin

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks so much!!! I ordered it the second the page opened. I have high hopes.
I will say - one issue is once a fish is sick - it often gets sicker quickly. So - please update us.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Image is extremely blue making it impossible to see a white fish. When did this behavior begin and how are other occupants behaving?
Not eating can be mucus, flukes, water quality and even aggression from other fish

OP
OP
titlefight13

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week ago. Everyone else is fine all I have is another clownfish that I’ve had for a while. No changes in its behavior. There would be no aggression possible towards it since it’s bigger than my other clown. Parameters are in spec.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just peeked into the tank and there’s some white stringy poop attached again!!

IMG_2209.png

In this case, the stringy poop and rapid breathing are signs of an internal systemic infection. Clownfish get two different types: internal gut protozoans and coccidia. There is no treatment for the latter, but metronidazole can help with the first issue.

There could also be Brooklynella, but that is REALLY difficult to diagnose visually on a white clownfish.

Although I think it is secondary to the main problem, smaller clowns can certainly tag larger ones, especially if the larger one is sick. Ripped fins always come from some physical trauma, and unless you've had to catch the Wyoming in a net or something, the culprit must be the other clown.

Jay

OP
OP
titlefight13

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, the stringy poop and rapid breathing are signs of an internal systemic infection. Clownfish get two different types: internal gut protozoans and coccidia. There is no treatment for the latter, but metronidazole can help with the first issue.

There could also be Brooklynella, but that is REALLY difficult to diagnose visually on a white clownfish.

Although I think it is secondary to the main problem, smaller clowns can certainly tag larger ones, especially if the larger one is sick. Ripped fins always come from some physical trauma, and unless you've had to catch the Wyoming in a net or something, the culprit must be the other clown.

Jay
I really appreciate the comment. What do you think should be the first step I should take? As I mentioned in a previous post, I dosed some Metroplex and Kanaplex in hopes it does something although not sure if that’s the route I should take.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the comment. What do you think should be the first step I should take? As I mentioned in a previous post, I dosed some Metroplex and Kanaplex in hopes it does something although not sure if that’s the route I should take.
Did you dose the metroplex for the full course of treatment? It needs to be a full dose every 48 hours for at least 3 treatments.
Jay

OP
OP
titlefight13

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose the metroplex for the full course of treatment? It needs to be a full dose every 48 hours for at least 3 treatments.
Jay
I preformed the dosing last night. So hopefully I’ll see some improvement by the end of the week (fingers crossed) if I don’t see any I’ll try the Ruby Rally Pro as MnFish1 recommended, it arrives on Thursday.

OP
OP
titlefight13

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a new clip of its state: Update Video
Quick update, no sign in improvement yet. More stringy poop. He just stays in the cup I place in the tank. Although I’ve noticed he does have a little more damage to his tail fin than when I placed him in the tank. Going to dose another round of metro and kanaplex tomorrow. Would it be okay to dose the ruby rally pro with the Seachem meds? Or should I wait until after the 3 doses + a couple days.

IMG_2245.png IMG_2246.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a new clip of its state: Update Video
Quick update, no sign in improvement yet. More stringy poop. He just stays in the cup I place in the tank. Although I’ve noticed he does have a little more damage to his tail fin than when I placed him in the tank. Going to dose another round of metro and kanaplex tomorrow. Would it be okay to dose the ruby rally pro with the Seachem meds? Or should I wait until after the 3 doses + a couple days.

IMG_2245.png IMG_2246.png

Yes, the tail is damaged further. I can only think that the smaller clown has been tagging it, and then it got infected.

The trouble with white clowns is you cannot really see Brooklynella on them. this fish is swimming kind of stiffly, and that is another symptom of Brooklynella. The mucus feces is not though. If that is because of coccidia, there is no treatment.

Is the fish in a treatment tank? If so, I'd say go ahead and mix in the Rally Pro.

Jay

OP
OP
titlefight13

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the tail is damaged further. I can only think that the smaller clown has been tagging it, and then it got infected.

The trouble with white clowns is you cannot really see Brooklynella on them. this fish is swimming kind of stiffly, and that is another symptom of Brooklynella. The mucus feces is not though. If that is because of coccidia, there is no treatment.

Is the fish in a treatment tank? If so, I'd say go ahead and mix in the Rally Pro.
Yes, the fish is in a QT. I also did the Ruby rally pro today. I noticed that he has a very long thin almost clear piece of poop (thinner than a strand of hair) that has the white poop attached to it that I usually see. You can see the difference in both substances. Could he have possibly pooped out a worm!!??? I haven’t seen poop like that. I see him trying to pop out the cup a little bit more and I also saw him trying to nip at some rocks and that’s the first time I seen him trying to attempt to eat anything at all within the last week and a half. Granted, he still wouldn’t eat the flakes and frozen brine I tried giving him.

IMG_2274.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
titlefight13

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming Video: holy mackerel, he’s out of hiding and swimming around the tank!! He hasn’t been this active in a week!! And his fin is up!! I have super high hopes, and this definitely made me happier about my day!!! :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the fish is in a QT. I also did the Ruby rally pro today. I noticed that he has a very long thin almost clear piece of poop (thinner than a strand of hair) that has the white poop attached to it that I usually see. You can see the difference in both substances. Could he have possibly pooped out a worm!!??? I haven’t seen poop like that. I see him trying to pop out the cup a little bit more and I also saw him trying to nip at some rocks and that’s the first time I seen him trying to attempt to eat anything at all within the last week and a half. Granted, he still wouldn’t eat the flakes and frozen brine I tried giving him.

IMG_2274.png
No, that isn’t a worm, when fish don’t eat or if they have internal infections, their feces can look like that.
Internal worms usually have vectors in their life cycle that only live in the wild, and this is a captive raised fish, so it wouldn’t typically get worms.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back