Xenia takeover

HereFishyFishy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any for sure way to get rid of Xenia? It’s budding all over my aquarium and I can’t take my rocks out. There are little stalks EVERYWHERE, no matter the amount of scraping the rocks has helped, they keep growing back faster. Please help!

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are going to have to get new rock. Xenia,GSP etc. are best kept on a rock away from the main rock structure to prevent this from happening.

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep cutting them once they get big and put other corals over them. You can win eventually. I used to have alot in my nano. How big is the tank?
20201202_184755.jpg
20211120_171612.jpg

OP
OP
H

HereFishyFishy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are going to have to get new rock. Xenia,GSP etc. are best kept on a rock away from the main rock structure to prevent this from happening.
Believe it or not I did have it on it’s very own rock and it became huge! Eventually it started stretching towards the other rocks, I probably should have fragged when I had the chance

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy yourself a cheap galaxea frag. A small 1x1 can take out a baseball size of xenia in less than a week. I keep one for just that reason not xenia but other invaders. When Im done I throw him back in his home far away till needed again.

OP
OP
H

HereFishyFishy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy yourself a cheap galaxea frag. A small 1x1 can take out a baseball size of xenia in less than a week. I keep one for just that reason not xenia but other invaders. When Im done I throw him back in his home far away till needed again.
Will it sting any other corals? The Xenia is growing between my ricordias, palys, zoas, blasto and Duncan

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it sting any other corals? The Xenia is growing between my ricordias, palys, zoas, blasto and Duncan

Yes galaxea is mean and good at murdering other corals.

If you can remove the rock and do surgery and get it all… scrape it all off the rock. I find it doesn’t come back.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen a video @Timfish shared using a metal straw and some hose and put elastic band around straw before insert to hose to seal it and scrape/syphon them up,will try find video or maybe Tim can share

Here's the link! I can't say It's an original idea or at least others have thought of it. I started using small diameter rigid eheim tubing back in the 90s, talking with a friend of mine he started using the same about the same time, didn't know him then so it was kinda an interesting cuincedence.

Steel Straws

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha, true! the meanest coral on the planet.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back