Yellow Tang - Need Advice

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been 2 days he is still getting used to the new tank. As long as he is eating a lot it will be fine even if its in a 55gallon tank. I have 3 yellow tangs and they pace back and forth all the time and will become extremely aggressive after a few months.

Agreed on the aggression. Mine tried to claim my entire 90 gallon after a month that it was in there and caused physical harm to my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, even though they were in the same holding tank at the LFS for a couple of weeks, acclimated at the same time and added to the Display Tank at the same time. They also shared a cave together for the first month. After that the Tang ripped it's lower fin, shadowed it through the rocks and hit it repeatedly with it's tail scalpel causing visible damage to the CB. Thank goodness my CB was a quick healer and I gave my Yellow Tang the boot. I won't attempt another Yellow unless I have a 5-6 foot long tank with another fish or two that can keep it's attitude in check. Once they hit around 4 inches in length they start displaying adult territorial attitudes.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in Australia and imported fish are very expensive and in very limited supply.

You also didn’t state what other fish you have in the tank with the tang. A 55 is plenty big enough for a yellow tang. I have 4 in a 80 rimless 4x2 feet.

Tangs are big swimmers and very shy fish at first, but don’t worry after a couple more days he will be the new king of your tank.
As stated above try nori. Also i always feed my fish something when I walk to the tank. Trains them to see me as food not predator.

A 55 gallon is big enough for a single small yellow tang (ie under 4 inches) but it will outgrow that tank at some point and without other fish to keep it's attitude in check it will likely become aggressive and bully his tank mates. Your Yellow Tangs are keeping each other in check for now, but they will outgrow your 80 gallon at some point.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger tank will help some. Most tangs want as much space as you can afford to give them. Yellow is one of the smaller ones...but it will still appreciate you doubling the size of his house. Also once he learns you mean food he will be happy to see you.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 55 gallon is big enough for a single small yellow tang (ie under 4 inches) but it will outgrow that tank at some point and without other fish to keep it's attitude in check it will likely become aggressive and bully his tank mates. Your Yellow Tangs are keeping each other in check for now, but they will outgrow your 80 gallon at some point.

They will keep each other in check in any size tank when you have 3

My 4 in my 265 fight all day long

Not serious though

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will keep each other in check in any size tank when you have 3

My 4 in my 265 fight all day long

Not serious though

3 Yellow Tangs in a 55 gallon? That is a massive Bioload and cramped space for 3 Tangs (it's only 12 inches wide).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200 for a yellow tang? Ouch.....
Yellow tang is a very beautiful fish. If Black tang and Yellow tang was switch in how common or rare they are, we would pay 2000.00 for the yellow tang and no one would buy a black tang (at least very few people). There is no other fish would give the color, size, activity and usefulness of a Yellow tang.
YellowTang2019052802.jpg

YellowTang2019052801.jpg

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang is a very beautiful fish. If Black tang and Yellow tang was switch in how common or rare they are, we would pay 2000.00 for the yellow tang and no one would buy a black tang (at least very few people). There is no other fish would give the color, size, activity and usefulness of a Yellow tang.
YellowTang2019052802.jpg

YellowTang2019052801.jpg

Couldn’t argee more

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did I state 3 yellows in a 55

Stated that 3 yellows will constantly bicker in almost any size tank

It’s a half joke

"They will keep each other in check in any size tank when you have 3" Given that my post mentioned the OP is inquiring about them in a 55 gallon, I assumed you were talking about in this case. Just a case of miscommunication though. I agree though that keeping the Yellow Tangs focused on each other is good (provided the tank is big enough to house them). When one YT starts focusing on other fish with nothing to keep it in check, bad things happen.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back