Yellow Tang - Need Advice

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently splurged and dropped over $200 on a beautiful yellow tang! He's currently in a 55 gallon, but hes small, and will be transferred to a 105g + when large enough. He was in a QT tank with Ich at the LFS about a month before I bought him, so they treated him and QT'd for me and I saw him eat like a horse and swim. He's clearly very healthy and is disease free!

The issue is, since dropped him in the tank, approximately 2 days now, he constantly paces along the back wall of the tank along the live rock, He rarely stops, and comes to the front where I can appreciate him. Its really bothering me because here in Sydney they cost over $200 and I didnt buy him to have him out of sight all the time. He does the same loop basically in between the rocks at the back of the tank.. When the lights go out he calms down and finds a spot at the back to rest. I should add hes also very afraid of me, extremely skittish and shy whenever my hand is in the water etc.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this behaviour normal? Does it wear off? If so how long does it take? Are they normally pacers or do they ever just cruise around?

Appreciate any help!

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to play the smart aleck card - Welcome to the hobby that takes wild animals with vast ocena to explore and puts them in a tiny box ...

With time, it may get better. However, don't count on it. Just enjoy what you can enjoy about this amazing new yellow Tang and I hope the new tank comes along sooner rather than later

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a tang in constant motion. The song dory sings in finding Nemo just keep swimming it is a tang song. They never stop swimming.

The bigger the tank the better off they are.

To help pull it out more try putting algea on the front glass in a couple different spots. See if that helps

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang should calm down after a while, The best thing i can think of is to distract the fish.. Take some pieces of Nuri Attach them to small rocks on rubber bands . and place them around the tank. 3-5 pieces kinda small.. Maybe the fish will start grazing and calm down....

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs IMO are pretty resistant to ich aslong as they are eating well. In the wild they eat all day so feeding them multiple times per day will only help. Mine doubled in size and IME they are one of the most hardiest of tangs. Even after they are used to your tank they still tend to be timid and shy, constantly running back to a hiding spot.

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I will try Noori!
Sorry to play the smart aleck card - Welcome to the hobby that takes wild animals with vast ocena to explore and puts them in a tiny box ...

With time, it may get better. However, don't count on it. Just enjoy what you can enjoy about this amazing new yellow Tang and I hope the new tank comes along sooner rather than later

True, you definitely did play that card haha!
I just got this tank and have been reefing for 2 months or so. The 105g will be set up in at least a couple of years! I really like this 55g build so hopefully tang sticks around for his 105g retirement home

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 tangs in my Display tank., A Giant yellow tang about 5 inches . a scopes tank of the same size a Cole tang ,Lavender tang (The TANK BOSS) . I am not sure on the dimensions of you tank If its a Cube type You could run into troubles.. My Tank is Custom built 7 foot long 26 inches tall and 3o inches deep. My Rock work allows them to swim in a oval track all the way around. They Love to Swim and . The Lavender tank will splash water out....

Short version.. What are the detentions of your tank , The yellow tang might not be the best choice for that tank Trying to not sound like the "TANG POLICE" Anyway Good Luck...

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 tangs in my Display tank., A Giant yellow tang about 5 inches . a scopes tank of the same size a Cole tang ,Lavender tang (The TANK BOSS) . I am not sure on the dimensions of you tank If its a Cube type You could run into troubles.. My Tank is Custom built 7 foot long 26 inches tall and 3o inches deep. My Rock work allows them to swim in a oval track all the way around. They Love to Swim and . The Lavender tank will splash water out....

Short version.. What are the detentions of your tank , The yellow tang might not be the best choice for that tank Trying to not sound like the "TANG POLICE" Anyway Good Luck...

100cm long
60cm height
47cm depth or width

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E2DA5E3F-BB93-4A15-AEEF-E97B8F3CA026.gif
@Erica-Renee ;) you saying tang police reminded me of South Park cartman.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can I would get that larger tank up and running sooner than later.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a few days, it will settle down. The 55 will be ok for a long while. In the mean time plan for a bigger tank! You know you want it ! ;)

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two yellow tangs hand together fro the most part and rummage around the rockwork picking the live rock. Love Nori and are the 1st to the clip along with my purple tang they otherwise get along. Started out with 3 of them but one died. $200 each wow...got mine for $29.99 w/10% discount last summer from my LFS.

Anthonykp17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in Australia and imported fish are very expensive and in very limited supply.

You also didn’t state what other fish you have in the tank with the tang. A 55 is plenty big enough for a yellow tang. I have 4 in a 80 rimless 4x2 feet.

Tangs are big swimmers and very shy fish at first, but don’t worry after a couple more days he will be the new king of your tank.
As stated above try nori. Also i always feed my fish something when I walk to the tank. Trains them to see me as food not predator.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anthonykp17 yep my fish look to me as the food god who drops food in the tank about 2140 very night. I walk up to the tank and there they all are begging. Except for the coral beauty. That one marches to a different beat.

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nuts my yellow tang only cost me $14 but it’s probably because I live in Hawaii. Achilles tangs are also only $40 here.

Back