JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My yellow tang (I've had for 7 months or more) has recently stopped eating, scratching, and has been hiding under rocks in the shadow areas. I caught it tonight, and put it into qt in 1.00 copper power.

I am attaching a video of it in QT, and I'm wondering what the red is in its bottom fin. Could this whole thing be a bacterial infection? Is it worse? I added the tang to a copper power qt tank because it was hiding and not eating, which I've read could be a case of velvet. Please help.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1582984165.mp4
    34.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Increase copper power and redness can be bacterial or even a vitamin deficiency.
what foods are you feeding it?
Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase copper power and redness can be bacterial or even a vitamin deficiency.
Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health
I feed reef frenzy in the morning, with nori on a clip, and then pellets at night. It just suddenly stopped eating and was hiding / scratching. Is that a parasite?

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning the tang seems "better". My QT has some PVC in there, but no rocks or places it can hide under. I will be feeding shortly, and I'm going to try metroplex/focus on pellets tonight (second feeding).

It doesn't appear to be hiding at all, still no sign of white spots. I truly don't know what it is. I'm feeding my DT selcon soaked foods as well to help them just be healthy. Will monitor them to see if I need to add them to my QT tank.

I'm hoping it's just a bacterial infection or something. IDK.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This morning the tang seems "better". My QT has some PVC in there, but no rocks or places it can hide under. I will be feeding shortly, and I'm going to try metroplex/focus on pellets tonight (second feeding).

It doesn't appear to be hiding at all, still no sign of white spots. I truly don't know what it is. I'm feeding my DT selcon soaked foods as well to help them just be healthy. Will monitor them to see if I need to add them to my QT tank.

I'm hoping it's just a bacterial infection or something. IDK.
Pellets wont cut it or meet nutritional needs as they are herbivores. Some foods best for tangs are:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets wont cut it or meet nutritional needs as they are herbivores. Some foods best for tangs are:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
Ok, I have only ever fed pellets (I can't recall the brand, but it's a pretty common one at LFSs), reef frenzy, and nori. I can look into getting some LRS herbivore.

I'm going to try the pellets tonight (which it likes) with metroplex and focus.

Can you "over do" selcon?

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure its bacteria . mine had red all over a one point . I left in reef as to not destroy entire reef trying to catch him. Did a couple of good water changes ran some carbon and purigen as well. Then soaked all fish food in selecon figured it would be good for all fish . After 3 days he was completely clear bright yellow and well . He is now thick and healthy . I still soak foods in selecon once in a while .

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure its bacteria . mine had red all over a one point . I left in reef as to not destroy entire reef trying to catch him. Did a couple of good water changes ran some carbon and purigen as well. Then soaked all fish food in selecon figured it would be good for all fish . After 3 days he was completely clear bright yellow and well . He is now thick and healthy . I still soak foods in selecon once in a while .
When this happened to you, did you notice other symptoms? Scratching, swimming weird, not eating, hiding under a rock / a shaded area?

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also they have frozen brine shrimp mixed with spirulina I usually get with petco and soak a cube in a little selcon for about 10 minutes before feeding - all fish love it

Attachments

• brine.jpg
    brine.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 42

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this happened to you, did you notice other symptoms? Scratching, swimming weird, not eating, hiding under a rock / a shaded area?
yes all of the above it was when I upgraded my aquarium I had been dosing bacteria and put off water changes the hippo even got ick at this time - again - I didnt want to destroy the tank so fed the selcon with the hopes that the vitamins and over feeding would help them both to fight their sickness and it absolutely worked . I eventually added a UV sterilizer to my system and have not seen any ick or sickness since. still use selcon twice a week . Its been about 6 months and all is well.

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also a tip get nori cheap at walmart for 2 bucks in international section

Attachments

• Nori.jpeg
    Nori.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after seeing your video mine was in much worse condition alot more red patches. Get the selcon its worth it
The fish looks so insanely healthy. But has a little red around the tail and kinda on the sides of the body, but nothing crazy like I have seen in other forums. I am unable to get the fish eating at the moment, so the selcon doesn't appear to be doing anything. But I will continue to use it. I never saw spots. Just a lot of hiding and not eating. I don't know what could be causing it lol, I'm at a loss.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everything repeated several times. OP is aware of contributors and required diet needs. It is mentioned that bacteria is a contributor as is dietary deficiency. I mention as he has seen improvement and does not need to be further confused.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything repeated several times. OP is aware of contributors and required diet needs. It is mentioned that bacteria is a contributor as is dietary deficiency. I mention as he has seen improvement and does not need to be further confused.
I really appreciate all your help. It's really hard to determine the cause for me, given what I have mentioned before. No spots and not swimming in the gyre flow, but avoids the light, won't eat, and seems to be scratching. I'm trying to not drop all of the balls it feels like I'm juggling. If I could just determine what it is, then I'd be fine to continue, but so far I truly don't know what is happening.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red fins like that is called septicemia. You can look it up in relation to tangs.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back