OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is someone going to be breaking down a tank and just trying to get rid of their fish. I'd keep an eye out for break down threads.
We just finished cycling out first saltwater tank and the one and only fish my wife wanted was a yellow tang. When I spent over $5000 for her new tank 8 weeks ago I had no idea the prices for yellow tangs went from 50-100 to 400-800 bucks. This sucks...she wants a yellow tang.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has them right now for $150 or 200 size depending. In Michigan if close

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I saw, Hawaii is opening up to a few collectors. Not sure if the price will drop down or if they'll charge a premium now because they know they can.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just finished cycling out first saltwater tank and the one and only fish my wife wanted was a yellow tang. When I spent over $5000 for her new tank 8 weeks ago I had no idea the prices for yellow tangs went from 50-100 to 400-800 bucks. This sucks...she wants a yellow tang.
they can be jerks at times, and now they can be $$$ jerks. LA has Biota ones

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They skyrocketed because of Hawaii's closure to collected corals and fish.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I “heard” (take with a grain of salt) Hawaii never actually “closed”. Collectors with current licenses we’re still able to collect but they stopped giving new licenses. But it looks like they will allow renewals and possible new licenses just much stricter collection policies. (Non verified source- do with it what you will lol)

I think the price increase is two things: one is yes they are becoming harder to get (but not as hard as people make it out to be). I was in the whole sale place near me last week and he had maybe 100 yellows. “Just came in” and he said his price went up some but from his point of view the availability is about the same. But demand went up over all the hype of the possibility they won’t be available. (Yet they still are!)

I think many sellers jumped on the high price train- and if so many people keep paying these prices then they won’t come down. And if I had something worth x amount of dollars, I would ask the market price too- so I can’t blame the sell. But they made the yellow tang too pricy for me lol. I have two old yellows, and got offers for $250 and up each. I declined.

I believe biota was selling captive bread yellows for $150 pre Hawaii ban. My local LSF sells them for $190 last I checked. Many local reefers are asking about $200-$250 and they are selling!

I do hope prices come down, but it’s unlikely in my opinion.
Happy reefing!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I “heard” (take with a grain of salt) Hawaii never actually “closed”. Collectors with current licenses we’re still able to collect but they stopped giving new licenses. But it looks like they will allow renewals and possible new licenses just much stricter collection policies. (Non verified source- do with it what you will lol)

I think the price increase is two things: one is yes they are becoming harder to get (but not as hard as people make it out to be). I was in the whole sale place near me last week and he had maybe 100 yellows. “Just came in” and he said his price went up some but from his point of view the availability is about the same. But demand went up over all the hype of the possibility they won’t be available. (Yet they still are!)

I think many sellers jumped on the high price train- and if so many people keep paying these prices then they won’t come down. And if I had something worth x amount of dollars, I would ask the market price too- so I can’t blame the sell. But they made the yellow tang too pricy for me lol. I have two old yellows, and got offers for $250 and up each. I declined.

I believe biota was selling captive bread yellows for $150 pre Hawaii ban. My local LSF sells them for $190 last I checked. Many local reefers are asking about $200-$250 and they are selling!

I do hope prices come down, but it’s unlikely in my opinion.
Happy reefing!
250 I would decline too, these are my 'our' fish, 'Deuce' the Yellow has become a fixture in my case....he is 18 years old this week. How old yours?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 I would decline too, these are my 'our' fish, 'Deuce' the Yellow has become a fixture in my case....he is 18 years old this week. How old yours?
Both of mine came from fellow reefers, “used fish” lol. so I don’t know exact age- I believe one is about 6 and the other about 5.

18! that’s amazing! I’ve heard they can get up there in age, you must be an awesome fish parent to have him that long! Impressive, I hope mine get to that age too!

yeah I declined- the enjoyment of seeing them everyday, is way more valuable to me then $250 that would be spend and gone . And I can’t sell a family member anyway lol.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is a shame cause there are 137 islands and not all of them are in the U.S. I always had the feeling fish keepers and fishermen and the like are being ripped off with this "ban". As well as fish breeders jumping in on the money train. What is stopping theses sellers from going X amount of miles more to collect make a killing? Also a lot of species are invasive, or just plain over populated but still cant collect. I lament.

Back