Yellow tangs bickering

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Yellow tangs for about 4 years with no issues. (Pair as in two just tolerating each other peacefully). Recently added a new copperband butterfly and ever since, bigger Yellow tang has been very territorial toward the smaller Yellow tang. It doesn't nip fins but always chase it away to a cave everytime the smaller one tries to come out.

What's my best route at this point? Would adding a 3rd bigger Yellow Tang help restructure the power hierarchy or would that make the aggression worse?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, thank you for the link.

I won't add a 3rd one in that case - Besides feeding more heavily, I'm not sure what else I can do at this point as removing the larger YT or rearranging the rockwork is not going to be easy.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, thank you for the link.

I won't add a 3rd one in that case - Besides feeding more heavily, I'm not sure what else I can do at this point as removing the larger YT or rearranging the rockwork is not going to be easy.
No problem you're welcome. How long ago did you add the butterfly? I'm just thinking about this and if it's been a couple of weeks or something it may not simmer down but if it's only been 24 to 48 hours you could give it a little more time.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aggression continues,can You trap the larger tang & place it in the refugium for a while ?see how the other tang & copperband get along ? I'm surprised the tangs didn't go after the butterfly. I personally would find another home for the larger tang.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the butterfly about 2 weeks ago and started noticing change of behavior between the two tangs this week. Maybe not related at all but that's the only thing that changed recently. I was surprised that nobody was bothering the butterfly as well, went completely ignored by everyone. I'll give it a couple of weeks before doing anything drastic.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

Also, adding other tangs can spread aggression but two of a species is dangerous in that they can more easily single each other out.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

Also, adding other tangs can spread aggression but two of a species is dangerous in that they can more easily single each other out.

150 Gallons; initially started off as a trio but went down to a pair after first 6 months and been together since. Should I try adding one or two new species of tangs?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 Gallons; initially started off as a trio but went down to a pair after first 6 months and been together since. Should I try adding one or two new species of tangs?
That could work but it’s a gamble, they can still easily single each other out because they’re the same species. It probably wouldn’t hurt, if you had the space and filtration necessary! :)

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of adding 3 small yellow tangs to my 265 gal reef later this week.. have a 5 “ Powder Blue, Flame Angel and 4 Lyrtail Anthias.. any thoughts?? Yes or no? I figured 3 Yellows would hopefully keep the Powder Blue from attacking.. thoughts?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of adding 3 small yellow tangs to my 265 gal reef later this week.. have a 5 “ Powder Blue, Flame Angel and 4 Lyrtail Anthias.. any thoughts?? Yes or no? I figured 3 Yellows would hopefully keep the Powder Blue from attacking.. thoughts?
Any reason for three yellows? I'd recommend going with three zebrasoma tangs but separate species. I have yellow, purple, and desjardini. My desjardini is biggest out of all my tangs (on purpose), including my Acanthurus tangs. I have a very nasty powder brown, and desjardini keeps him in check big time!

Fishbob50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go!
Any reason for three yellows? I'd recommend going with three zebrasoma tangs but separate species. I have yellow, purple, and desjardini. My desjardini is biggest out of all my tangs (on purpose), including my Acanthurus tangs. I have a very nasty powder brown, and desjardini keeps him in check big time!
I tried 4 purples once as recommended by LFS.
The 3 killed the 4th before I could save it. The 2 beat on the 3rd and I was able to move it. The 2 now fight each other.

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taping a mirror to the side of your tank for a week or so, i have done that works great

W@tchm@n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aggression continues,can You trap the larger tang & place it in the refugium for a while ?see how the other tang & copperband get along ? I'm surprised the tangs didn't go after the butterfly. I personally would find another home for the larger tang.
Or maybe try an acclimatising box for one of them. Might work.

Tanglover11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have only Two Tangs the agression is equal and they will be territorial. If you have three or more yellow Tangs they will form a Shole or school. A hiarchy will then be established and a leader will become noticeable. The tangs will tend to follow the “leader” . My advise is to buy an additional 2 or more yellow tangs

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe try an acclimatising box for one of them. Might work.
Yeah, I would suggest this. I did this with a Solorensis Wrasse that would bully any new flasher wrasse I put in the tank....I put in the acclimation box with the release slats opened up, put food in the box until the Solorensis Wrasse went into it, and then put back on the release slats and kept it in there for a week. When I released it after adding a new Wrasse, no bullying.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back