Yellow Tangs - less and less available

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last couple times I been to my local fish stores, (have 4 local to me), I haven’t seen any yellow tangs. I ask the shop owners and they said they just aren’t available anymore.

Any idea what’s going on with the population of them? I was told the flame angel was in the same boat.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last couple times I been to my local fish stores, (have 4 local to me), I haven’t seen any yellow tangs. I ask the shop owners and they said they just aren’t available anymore.

Any idea what’s going on with the population of them? I was told the flame angel was in the same boat.
Hawaiian Flames are less common, other regions aren't any less common. In fact, Hawiaan angels weren't as common as other regions previous to the collection woes in Hawaii.

Yellow tangs are less common, and more expensive. "Citrus" yellow tangs are becoming more common. I believe they are collected from Guam, not Hawaii.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaiian Flames are less common, other regions aren't any less common. In fact, Hawiaan angels weren't as common as other regions previous to the collection woes in Hawaii.

Yellow tangs are less common, and more expensive. "Citrus" yellow tangs are becoming more common. I believe they are collected from Guam, not Hawaii.

I have noticed the price increase quite a bit over the last few years. Which would back up the post by @4FordFamily .

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed the price increase quite a bit over the last few years. Which would back up the post by @4FordFamily .
They've gone up the most in the last 12-18 months, but Hawaii turmoil has been increasing prices on their fish for a few years as you mentioned :)

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've gone up the most in the last 12-18 months, but Hawaii turmoil has been increasing prices on their fish for a few years as you mentioned :)

I was quite shocked after being away from 2017 to late 2018 in the price. Was getting them $20-$30... and now seeing them in the $60-$80

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few LFS in Baltimore md and they always carry them. I would think in the next few years yellow tangs will become abundant due to the fact of them being successfully tank bred and raised. They're was a big project about about sustainability in the wild and relying more on captive bred.

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in GA and this is across 4 different fish stores from all different owners. I use to see them all the time for about $30 for one that is about 2-3”. Now, I rarely see them.

I didn’t know if the hobby or something else was affecting this.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii is in the process of trying to ban aquarium fishing for a couple of years and that is what is affecting prices and availability.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed a problem, especially with the Biota tangs coming to the market.
CB yellow tangs are terrible in body shape and coloration. Breeder will need to do a better job on these before I buy them. I hope they will eventually. I am willing to pay more for CB fish that is as nice or nearly as nice as wild caught. Coloration can improve with better care, but permanent deformed body shape fish will not find way into my tank, unless it happened under my care. I do have Fairy wrasse that have fin rot and now with permanent fins damage in my tank. He is otherwise healthy and fat now, just doesn't look very nice.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CB yellow tangs are terrible in body shape and coloration. Breeder will need to do a better job on these before I buy them. I hope they will eventually. I am willing to pay more for CB fish that is as nice or nearly as nice as wild caught. Coloration can improve with better care, but permanent deformed body shape fish will not find way into my tank, unless it happened under my care. I do have Fairy wrasse that have fin rot and now with permanent fins damage in my tank. He is otherwise healthy and fat now, just doesn't look very nice.
I have one of the Biota and his shape is fine. He was very dull in color but I think a lot of that was the fact he was about the size of a quarter when I got him. I have had him for about 6 weeks now and he has put on some size and the yellow is coming in nicely.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the Biota and his shape is fine. He was very dull in color but I think a lot of that was the fact he was about the size of a quarter when I got him. I have had him for about 6 weeks now and he has put on some size and the yellow is coming in nicely.
Agree, they are pale as small fish. Angels can have differing appearance when captive bred, tangs tend to be more static (less of these issues).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen about 20 CB yellow tangs in person. None was defective free. The light color, much lighter than the WC small tangs of about the same size, can improve but the defective fins are deal killer for me.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen about 20 CB yellow tangs in person. None was defective free. The light color, much lighter than the WC small tangs of about the same size, can improve but the defective fins are deal killer for me.
I haven't seen the deformities, but also haven't been paying much attention. I imagine this would have to do with poor nutrition as "larvae". I am not an "early adopter" for much.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of the CB yellow tangs I saw were from the same source, whoever supply Petco. None of the LFS here is Corpus Christi is what one would call progressive. It is easy for me to say, since I don't have to make a living selling fish. If I have to sale fish to put food on the table, I would tend not to be very adventurous in taken risk with my money.

I would love to buy several CB Purple tangs. I always like to keep several same species tangs in my larger tanks. With CB tangs, I think I can do this.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time commenting on the look of mine vs WC. This is my first yellow tang, my only other one is a scoppis. I do know that he's eating well and has been putting on size quick so he's healthy so I'm happy with him. Plus he's goofy and fun to watch.

Back