Yellow Tangs - less and less available

U

User1

View Badges
Catching restrictions in Hawaii and no flights due to covit is making the prices go higher.

We sell them Quarantined for $99.99 and most other places are also in general price range. Hippo tangs go for 119.99 with us.

But I expect the prices to stay near that range even if things go back to normal.
Wholesalers are going to try to hold the price to make up the loss of income over this year.

I would pay 100 bucks for a properly quarantined yellow tang without hesitation. Of course I know QT means different things to different people but on the surface I would say that is a reasonable price. Even for the otherwise traditional used to be 15 dollar tang :)

I do think you are on the right track though is that prices are not going to drop be it for a fish or a 2x4 / lumber. If anyone hasn't checked prices have increased across the board and I do not see it falling back to normal. It will be interesting to see what comes of it post vaccine and economy recover. Not to get into that here but it does tie back to our hobby and hobby industry be it living or material.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you get this tank raise yellow tang for 120.00?
The color is not what cause concern for me. It is the deformed especially the small pelvic fins
D25C5E41-667F-4114-B83C-B6D24745D8B8.jpeg

My wild caught Yellow tang for comparison. Not fair since I had my YT for much longer. Larger and more mature. I provided the best of care for him.
15B7B193-46BA-4A58-B2A6-A06355F90D0C.jpeg

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The captive yellows were messed up and kinda looked like rejects. We all might just have to live with it someday, or, more likely, they will be wild collected from other areas since their range is beyond just Hawaii, IIRC.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you get this tank raise yellow tang for 120.00?
The color is not what cause concern for me. It is the deformed especially the small pelvic fins
D25C5E41-667F-4114-B83C-B6D24745D8B8.jpeg

My wild caught Yellow tang for comparison. Not fair since I had my YT for much longer. Larger and more mature. I provided the best of care for him.
15B7B193-46BA-4A58-B2A6-A06355F90D0C.jpeg
Below is a photo of our yellow tang at our facility from our 300G after just 3 months out of our holding tanks. When they arrive at stores and in reef tanks they're very young and still growing and developing their coloration but grow into perfect fish more than suitable than wild-caught specimens. The pelvic fins are tucked in the photo but are full and normal, clear of any deformities.
yellowtang_1_720x.jpg

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a photo of our yellow tang at our facility from our 300G after just 3 months out of our holding tanks. When they arrive at stores and in reef tanks they're very young and still growing and developing their coloration but grow into perfect fish more than suitable than wild-caught specimens. The pelvic fins are tucked in the photo but are full and normal, clear of any deformities.
yellowtang_1_720x.jpg

Thats not just a sellers BS, like you get from some lighting manufacturers. The juveniles look a little funky, but they grow up just like the wild ones

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellowtang_1_720x.jpg
How are his paired fins? Any deformities?
Sorry I reply too quickly and did not read the full post.
that is great to know. I would buy TR yellow tang without any reservation in the future.
But I hope to keep this one for a long long loooooong time

Last edited:

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are his paired fins? Any deformities?
Sorry I reply too quickly and did not read the full post.
that is great to know. I would buy TR yellow tang without any reservation in the future.
But I hope to keep this one for a long long loooooong time
No deformities at all, once established they're exactly like their wild counterparts. We have gotten a few color morphs like an all white one and splotchy orange one but no other color variations either.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back