Yellow Tangs - less and less available

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii put a ban on collecting them....If you find one, the price will be higher than before, and eventually all of naturals will be replaced with all tank breed and raised.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii put a ban on collecting them....If you find one, the price will be higher than before, and eventually all of naturals will be replaced with all tank breed and raised.

Um, no. That’s not correct. Please educate yourself before spreading misinformation.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not entirely true. You can still catch them with a commercial fishing license and larger nets out of Hawaii. Small net fishing is banned, which does not really affect most fish outside of the smaller ones like Potter's Wrasses. :(

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, no. That’s not correct. Please educate yourself before spreading misinformation.

Check before you respond...some Hawaiians don't want the ban, the fish is heavily harvested, and some say the numbers are reducing to fast....this is the same thing that happened with rock and corals in the best areas of Fiji...It is not the government they don't care.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not entirely true. You can still catch them with a commercial fishing license and larger nets out of Hawaii. Small net fishing is banned, which does not really affect most fish outside of the smaller ones like Potter's Wrasses. :(
You are correct...it is just like the Fiji rock and coral situation

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw my first captive bred specien yesterday was the size of a quarter for $89.99 My lfs has a thing against pictures otherwise would have snapped one.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check before you respond...some Hawaiians don't want the ban, the fish is heavily harvested, and some say the numbers are reducing to fast....this is the same thing that happened with rock and corals in the best areas of Fiji...It is not the government they don't care.
Check what before I respond? What are you saying? Your comment was wrong dude. Now you're throwing in more misinformation? The Hawaiian fisheries are some of the best regulated and most sustainable on the planet. The yellow Tangs were not, and are not, in any danger from collection from the hobby.

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed a problem, especially with the Biota tangs coming to the market.
I have one. He's a great fish
20190223_174056.jpg

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check what before I respond? What are you saying? Your comment was wrong dude. Now you're throwing in more misinformation? The Hawaiian fisheries are some of the best regulated and most sustainable on the planet. The yellow Tangs were not, and are not, in any danger from collection from the hobby.

No one said they are in danger...there is an ongoing legal battle to control or stop their export...so people are buying them like crazy, and price is being driven up because of it...a 4" is going for about $75, and close to 5" is about $100

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are still plenty Yellow Tang coming our of Hawaii so obviously "Hawaii put a ban on collecting them..." is wrong. Maybe certain ways that they harvest was ban, but there is not a ban on collection Yellow Tang from Hawaii.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are potters wrasse’s worth now then? I have one, I love him lol.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are still plenty Yellow Tang coming our of Hawaii so obviously "Hawaii put a ban on collecting them..." is wrong. Maybe certain ways that they harvest was ban, but there is not a ban on collection Yellow Tang from Hawaii.

You want be able to tell if they are from Hawaii or grown in a tank down the street in the mainland...There is another thread on getting scammed

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want be able to tell if they are from Hawaii or grown in a tank down the street in the mainland...There is another thread on getting scammed
Come on Nokiaec11. You are wrong. Just admit it and move on. Keep on trying to get the last word when you are obviously wrong just cause you to loose all credibility.
It is likely not easy to raise Yellow Tang, but doable. Cost still high and tank raise Yellow Tang is still a bit more expensive than wild caught. No one, at this time, will scam other people by selling tank raise Yellow Tang as wild caught.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in GA and this is across 4 different fish stores from all different owners. I use to see them all the time for about $30 for one that is about 2-3”. Now, I rarely see them.

I didn’t know if the hobby or something else was affecting this.
I'm in N Fl and my closest LFS is in Gainesville. He always has YT in stock. Gets them from a wholesaler in Tampa.
Yellow Tangs are overrated. Bullies and a pain in the rear. One Spot Foxfaces are way cooler looking and mellow.
And far more likely to munch on your coral. I need to catch and remove mine this weekend as he has destroyed one of my biggest LPS pieces.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tangs are overrated. Bullies and a pain in the rear. One Spot Foxfaces are way cooler looking and mellow.

Agreed. I don't miss my Yellow Tang and it's butthead attitude. My One Spot Foxface was lazy on GHA but it did wipe out Bubble Algae that started growing in my tank.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone who lives in the states and insist they know what going on in Hawaii...here is the recent email sales ad from "That Fish Place" online, so you can go check for yourselves:
Screenshot_20190317-203306_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190317-203313_Chrome.jpg

Sorry to be to tell all of you who spent your money thinking your Yellow Tangs came from Hawaii, but chances are you didn't ask the seller, so technically you were not scammed, but now I see how someone can sale over price fish to others that don't do their homework...This is a big money making business for some...Think, most of you buy fish and just because the species originate from a place, does not mean it came from that place. Hawaii is not the only place that exported Yellow Tangs...this has been going on since 2017, so most of you doolrd yourself

Back