Yellowish stuff all over sand and rock

UsernameByMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to salt water tanks and forums so I apologize if I’m asking this for the 1000th time, set up this tank two weeks ago using live sand and rock. This yellow stuff showed up practically overnight. I just got the test strips but my alkalinity and hardness are too high, everything else is fine. Questions are what is this and how can I get rid of it? If it’s caused by the two above things, can anyone recommend anything to fix it?
It’s on that very rusty looking rock and that clean circle is where I removed a rock from for the photo.

C9F49433-9A74-4F67-89BB-C7B65AF40197.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like diatoms which is a normal part of the process of cycling a tank . Let them do there thing . Keep parameters stable during cycling period and throughout . As far as your using live sand and rock it does help reduce the time to cycle but it still has to do its thing . The high alk you didn’t say how high . Could you please list the individual parameters that were tested and there results . Imo keep in mind that alk ,cal, mag , phosphates , nitrates ,salinity , temp, and ammonia are the most important tests to have starting out .

OP
OP
UsernameByMatt

UsernameByMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like diatoms which is a normal part of the process of cycling a tank . Let them do there thing . Keep parameters stable during cycling period and throughout . As far as your using live sand and rock it does help reduce the time to cycle but it still has to do its thing . The high alk you didn’t say how high . Could you please list the individual parameters that were tested and there results . Imo keep in mind that alk ,cal, mag , phosphates , nitrates ,salinity , temp, and ammonia are the most important tests to have starting out .
Iron 0
Copper 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Chlorine 0
Hardness between 75-150
Alk 120-180
Carbonate 40
Ph 8-8.4
Temp 78
Salinity 1.04
Looks like I need more test stuff to check phos, ammonia, cal and mag

If they’re diatoms, will it clear up as it finishes cycling?

Attachments

• 33E6104E-8E39-4625-A890-AE75230DAC9F.jpeg
    33E6104E-8E39-4625-A890-AE75230DAC9F.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 27

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron 0
Copper 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Chlorine 0
Hardness between 75-150
Alk 120-180
Carbonate 40
Ph 8-8.4
Temp 78
Salinity 1.04
Looks like I need more test stuff to check phos, ammonia, cal and mag

If they’re diatoms, will it clear up as it finishes cycling?
I’m sorry but in my opinion I wouldn’t trust my tank to test strips . And I can’t offer you any suggestions based on them . Your salinity is off , your nitrates are zero which they should never be zero , I can go on . My opinion would be to go to you lfs store and have them test your water and not with test strips . If it were me I would invest in better test kits like salifvert , Hanna , etc .no api but that’s my opinion . Then maybe we could find out a little better of what’s going on .

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate , nitrates , salinity , magnesium , calcium , alkalinity , and temperature would be a good start and are you using RODI water to make your saltwater up with ??

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is most likely diatoms and as stated they will eventually go away. It will likely become far worse before that happens. They will turn a rusty brown color.

Also as stated above those test strips are not going to be the most accurate.

Salinity is pretty low if you are measuring via specific gravity IE with a refractometer most people shoot between 1.023 and 1.026 depending.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed to 1.040 salinity, how is that measured?
Thats really high if accurate.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to salt water tanks and forums so I apologize if I’m asking this for the 1000th time, set up this tank two weeks ago using live sand and rock. This yellow stuff showed up practically overnight. I just got the test strips but my alkalinity and hardness are too high, everything else is fine. Questions are what is this and how can I get rid of it? If it’s caused by the two above things, can anyone recommend anything to fix it?
It’s on that very rusty looking rock and that clean circle is where I removed a rock from for the photo.

C9F49433-9A74-4F67-89BB-C7B65AF40197.jpeg
It’s the uglies…diatoms and normal

OP
OP
UsernameByMatt

UsernameByMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the info. I went back to where I got the water from and they had a sign saying people have been reporting high salinity. Mine (1.04) was measured with a refractometer. They tested the water for nitrate, nitrites and ammonia. All were 0 so I did get some seachem stuff to get the cycle going. I’ll have to order some better test kits and add some fresh water to try to bring down the salinity. I got a RODI filter and reef salt so I’ll do it myself now, shoulda tested first but hindsight’s something else when you don’t know what you’re doing lol.

Attachments

• 08096E20-ECFE-42FD-B6A7-B45B629A0A7E.jpeg
    08096E20-ECFE-42FD-B6A7-B45B629A0A7E.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
UsernameByMatt

UsernameByMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but in my opinion I wouldn’t trust my tank to test strips . And I can’t offer you any suggestions based on them . Your salinity is off , your nitrates are zero which they should never be zero , I can go on . My opinion would be to go to you lfs store and have them test your water and not with test strips . If it were me I would invest in better test kits like salifvert , Hanna , etc .no api but that’s my opinion . Then maybe we could find out a little better of what’s going on .
I’ll get some better test kits and I’ll check out salifvert and Hanna. Thanks for the recommendations. Once I get accurate readings I’ll post them.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are those test strips? They are ok to get you through a cycle, but going forward in the hobby you will want to invest in quality test kits (not API), especially if you want corals or inverts, you will need more accurate readings than what a test strip can provide.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back