Yet another RSR 350 thread.

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's our build. I've posted this elsewhere but I want the badge! :)

What we started with:
Red Sea Reefer 350
Simplicity 240 DC Protein Skimmer with DC Pump
Simplicity DC-1600 Return Pump
Neptune Apex System with 2 WAV Pumps
Neptune MPR Magnetic Probe Holder
Neptune ATK - Auto Top Off Kit
Neptune SV1 Solenoid Valve
Neptune IO Breakout Box
Neptune LD2 Leak Detector
Neptune AFS
Neptune screen top
2 - Aquatic Life Halo M80 Basic's
2 - Aquatic Life 24" Mounting Arms
Aquatic Life Neptune Apex Control Cable
BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor - Dual with Pump
2 - 300 watt Finnex Titanium Heaters
3 - CaribSea Ocean Direct - Original Grade Live Sand, 20 lb.
50 pounds Reed Saver Dry Live Rock
Ace Roto Mold 40 Gallon Vertical Dome Top Tank VT0040-18 for RODI storage, NSF with gallon indicators.
Float Valve
Vertical Mount Float Switch

After setting it up we made some changes:

First I could not get the Halo's to work with the Apex correctly and the fans were a bit noisy so I returned them and the mounts. We ran up to BRS and picked up a pair of Kessil 360 Tuna Blue wides and A mount. I had no problem getting them to work with the Apex.

Second, the Simplicity DC-1600 moved water fine but was noisier than I expected for a DC pump running at 50%. I pulled it and will keep it as a backup. I replaced it with an Octo Varios 6 with the Apex control cable. I can't here it run now.

Third, the bubble plate on the Simplicity DC 240 was broken on arrival however I had no problem getting it replaced by Simplicity.

Fourth, the Neptune screen top was missing parts needed to assemble the top. I have reached out to the re-seller but have not received a response so far.

For anyone interested in the 40 gallon tank Rural King has the best price with shipping I found. Just about all of the on-line retailers I found that carried the item want $80+ for shipping. Rural King shipped it UPS for about $13 and was less expensive for the item as well.

We are going to have RODI plumbed to the 40 gallon storage tank using the float valve to shut it off when full. The tank will be placed so that the overflow can go directly in a drain.

The solenoid valve is used with the ATK. The RODI system and water storage are on a different floor than the aquarium it will be easier to tie right into the RODI output. The leak detector is behind the aquarium.

As I am running the ATO to from a separate source I may look at a way to convert the included 2.8 gallon ATO tank into a refugium if one is needed but I don't know if it is worth the effort.

Besides the live sand and the Reef Saver dry live rock we used Dr. Tim's One and Only and added 2 clowns and a yellow tail damsel to the tank. So far so good.

RSR350_1.jpg
20180303_221459.jpg
20180303_221520.jpg
20180305_075100.jpg

OP
OP
T

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added our corals from the other tank. Also replaced the Simplicity DC-1600 with a Octo Varios 6, the Octo is dead silent and I can control it with the Apex.
20180308_175731.jpg

OP
OP
T

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so an update. We've added some corals, a cleanup crew recommended for our tank size, two Clowns, a Rose Tip Anenome, a Yellowtail Damsel, a Lawnmower Blenny, a Neon Dottyback, a Six Line Wrasse, a Purple Firefish, a Hawiian Feather, and a Bristletooth Tomini Tang. We did not add them all at once. :)

We're still battling diatomes a bit but it's getting better.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back