Yet Another Stocking Thread.....Again, 150g

ReeferCPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all new guy to R2R but not to reefing. Been in the hobby about 9 years. From Louisiana. Various tank sizes over the years, (46g, 32g, 10g, 32g) with only about a 1-2 year gap with nothing.

I have a newish 150g (60x24x24) that I wanted to get an opinion on livestock, just to see what the general opinion/consensus is since this is my first tank that I've had more than like 4 fish.

Current Livestock:
- 2x Oci. Clowns
- 2x Purple Firefish
- Stripe Fang Blenny
- Auriga Butterfly
- Powder Brown Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- 6x Green Chromis

-Various snails and 3 peppermint shrimp,

Potential (and final) Adds:
-Blue Hippo Tang
-Yellow Tang
-Powder Blue Tang
-Foxface

My preference is buying them as small as possible, so I can enjoy watching them grow. The Powder Blue isn't a hard desire, the Foxface would be really nice because I've always wanted one but I'm willing to wait until the "forever tank" happens which is probably only 4 or 5 years away. The Blue Hippo and Yellow, I've kind of determined that they're happening for sure.

Other Info:
I run a Skimz Monster SM203 skimmer. 40 gallon sump.
All fish (including the older clowns) were treated with CP prior to going into this tank. I have a 20g QT that all fish go through for a minimum of 3 weeks. I also have a separate 20g coral/invert QT that everything else goes into prior to going into the DT. (I had an ich/velvet outbreak about 2 years ago that ended very poorly so not ever going through that again)

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!
My next (last?) build will be a 5x2x2 150. I have a 6x1.5 125, and I hate it. Anyway...

Adding 3 tangs and a foxface will be a lot of big/aggressive fish for a 150. My biggest concern would be mixing powder blue and brown in a 5 foot tank. If the sailfin is getting big, it probably won't like the yellow either.

I would say add the foxface and maybe the regal. Any tangs in the Ctenochaetus genus (kole, tomini, white tail, etc) would be worth looking at.

OP
OP
R

ReeferCPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 33 fish in my 160-gallon display, so just from a bio load standpoint I think it's pretty reasonable.
Are any of these larger fish? Does it feel crowded/ or cluttered from an aesthetics point of view. I like the idea of a busy reef, but was concerned about whether or not I had the space for such a thing. Any pics would appreciated.

Adding 3 tangs and a foxface will be a lot of big/aggressive fish for a 150. My biggest concern would be mixing powder blue and brown in a 5 foot tank. If the sailfin is getting big, it probably won't like the yellow either.
The powders were a concern I already had. The sailfin and the yellow is something I had not thought of, thank you for your input. I will look more into this.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these larger fish? Does it feel crowded/ or cluttered from an aesthetics point of view. I like the idea of a busy reef, but was concerned about whether or not I had the space for such a thing. Any pics would appreciated.
Yes. I have a Quoy's parrotfish, adult marine betta, Lamarck's angel and sailfin tang all in the 5-6" size range. Quite a few others are in the 3-4" range with many in the 2-3" range.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all new guy to R2R but not to reefing. Been in the hobby about 9 years. From Louisiana. Various tank sizes over the years, (46g, 32g, 10g, 32g) with only about a 1-2 year gap with nothing.

I have a newish 150g (60x24x24) that I wanted to get an opinion on livestock, just to see what the general opinion/consensus is since this is my first tank that I've had more than like 4 fish.

Current Livestock:
- 2x Oci. Clowns
- 2x Purple Firefish
- Stripe Fang Blenny
- Auriga Butterfly
- Powder Brown Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- 6x Green Chromis

-Various snails and 3 peppermint shrimp,

Potential (and final) Adds:
-Blue Hippo Tang
-Yellow Tang
-Powder Blue Tang
-Foxface

My preference is buying them as small as possible, so I can enjoy watching them grow. The Powder Blue isn't a hard desire, the Foxface would be really nice because I've always wanted one but I'm willing to wait until the "forever tank" happens which is probably only 4 or 5 years away. The Blue Hippo and Yellow, I've kind of determined that they're happening for sure.

Other Info:
I run a Skimz Monster SM203 skimmer. 40 gallon sump.
All fish (including the older clowns) were treated with CP prior to going into this tank. I have a 20g QT that all fish go through for a minimum of 3 weeks. I also have a separate 20g coral/invert QT that everything else goes into prior to going into the DT. (I had an ich/velvet outbreak about 2 years ago that ended very poorly so not ever going through that again)

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?
I personally would only add one tang (Yellow or a bristletooth), and the foxface. As said above, your biggest concern would be the two powder tangs in a 5’ tank. Whereas if you add a bristletooth or a yellow, you won’t have much aggression due to the body shapes being different either way. A 1’ hippo will be cramped in a 5’ tank, I wouldn’t risk it personally unless it’s temporary and you’re willing to rehome. Hippos get aggressive though, sometimes similar agression to the ones in Acanthurus.
Foxfaces just mind their own business and completely ignore the other guys unless it’s aggression against them. Even then, a tang would be stupid if they have even half a brain to figure out their close relatives have venom in their spines.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back