Your favourite fish

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1673014368922.png

I wish i could find another one in my area in canada. They're hard to find for sure but I already have a variety of dartfish and they usually come in small so it's off the table for me. Helfrichi's are still awesome and a great combination of colours

Reeftanktraveler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Face Angel. Unfortunately, I'm not ready to do the water changes necessary to get a tank big enough to house one properly. Maybe someday. :)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish, without question, are angels. I really think Pomacanthids are the most beautiful fish in the sea, not that other families aren’t beautiful. From Centropyge to the medium and larger species, I just think they are the focal point of a tank for me.

Butterflies can be nice too, but their colors and patterns overall are still somewhat lacking compared to angels, plus the fact that many are corallivores and impossible / almost impossible to keep alive in captivity. Having said this, from Copperbands to Pyramids, to the deepwater Roaps sub genus, Prognathodes, Forcipiger and a few others, butterflies can be attractive to me as well if only more were captive bred. To my knowledge they aren’t hermaphrodites like angels, many species are monogamous and form pairs at a very young age, or they only come together to spawn.

I’m also a fan of basslets, the Marine Betta, Hawkfish, and some wrasses. Unlike many, my favorite wrasses aren’t the Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinius (Fairy and Flasher Wrasses). I find Halichoeres, the “M” genus (Leopards), Hogfishes (Bodianus), and a few of the more obscure genera to be more interesting. Even the much reviled Pseudocheilinius mostly because of the Mystery Wrasse.

I’m even a fan of some damsels, the relatively less aggressive ones. Commonly available and inexpensive, my choice will have to be C. Hemicyanea (Azure). Slightly more expensive would be C. Starcki. Not a big Chromis fan.

Not a big Anthias fan apart from the larger / more solitary or pair / small harem forming species. This means genus Odontanthias, the Sunburst, and a few others that are extremely rare and need to be collected from extremely deep waters or even by submersibles.

Angels have a special place in my heart and in any tank that’s 40G breeder or larger I’ll always have at least one. Also, rare and expensive doesn’t always mean better for me. Centropyge Abei, appearance wise, is “dwarved” (pun not intended) by a Flame or Coral Beauty. I love the Majestic, Gold Flake, Regal, Bandit, Blue Line / “Maze” hybrids, and Asfur as my top picks for larger angels.

This leaves Tangs. I’m not a “must have a Tang” person and I’d rather have 2 at most while focusing more on Angels and some other families. I do like some Tangs, but they’re not as much of a priority to me compared to Angels.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a cool and interesting fish. I raised one from a tiny juvi with the eyespot. One day, it decided my pair of diamond gobies had to go, so he harassed them to death. After two months, he is just now starting to enter my fish trap to grab a bite to eat. Very fast fish and seems pretty smart. It was a tough choice but I'm looking for a peaceful tank. Other than that, he's been good.

My favorite fish would be my pair of blue ring angels, lovely creatures!
When I pulled mine it took me 3 days for him to enter the fish trap. Everybody else went in instantly. Its almost like he knew.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! How long have you had your Blue Ring pair, how big are they and in how big of a tank?
I got them as little juvis about the size of a half dollar or a quarter in march 2021. The tank is 8'x4' and 37" deep.
Since you are a fellow angel lover, I have to tell you my blue ring story. The smaller one was the dominant one and after a couple months got really nasty biting pieces of fin and tail and would not let the other blue ring eat, would not even let it come out. The poor thing was wasting away. It got so skinny that it was translucent. I tried to catch it with no luck. One night me wife says, hey, Eva is out I think she's looking for food. I dropped in a mussel and she barely nibbled at it but after a few nights she was chowing down. Within a month or two, she regained her health and the big mean one accepted her!!! I could hardly believe it. Gomez is 6-7 inches and meaty, Eva is maybe 4". They hang together and both look great.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I pulled mine it took me 3 days for him to enter the fish trap. Everybody else went in instantly. Its almost like he knew.
My copperband butterfly went in right away and the blue ring angels too. They take their sweet time and chow down. Even after a couple months when the checkerboard wrasse goes into the trap for food, he grabs a bite and makes a mad dash out. At least he's catchable.

The Natural Coral Depot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know what your favourite fish as of now is! Obviously you can have several (We all know that there is never just one you would die for). And I would also love to know why.

Here’s mine (I’m sure many of you have probably guessed what it will be already);
It’s a Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens now, the first reason is rather obvious (The colouring) but actually the other reason I love this fish so much is because it seems to have a hobby of ‘spitting water’. No, honestly before I fed it he was spitting water at me like there was no tomorrow, as soon as he was fed he stopped.
89650AB3-67CE-435C-B7D1-72A4A4EA2448.jpeg

1A3CC2F5-A67C-40FE-91E5-83EC66C43E31.jpeg

So, what are your favourites?
My favorite is going to have to be the stoplight parrotfish. Between how beautiful they are and the schooling with other is amazing.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
goldflake angel or PBT can't decide between them
That looks like an awesome combination.
My favorite is going to have to be the stoplight parrotfish. Between how beautiful they are and the schooling with other is amazing.
This is such a cool fish to watch in the ocean. Might agree with this one being one of my favorites.

elm03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know what your favourite fish as of now is! Obviously you can have several (We all know that there is never just one you would die for). And I would also love to know why.

Here’s mine (I’m sure many of you have probably guessed what it will be already);
It’s a Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens now, the first reason is rather obvious (The colouring) but actually the other reason I love this fish so much is because it seems to have a hobby of ‘spitting water’. No, honestly before I fed it he was spitting water at me like there was no tomorrow, as soon as he was fed he stopped.
89650AB3-67CE-435C-B7D1-72A4A4EA2448.jpeg

1A3CC2F5-A67C-40FE-91E5-83EC66C43E31.jpeg

So, what are your favourites?
Definitely clownfish (specifically my 2 lol)
Reef triggerfish for sure, they so goofy looking and I love it
Gobies are also kinda cute

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-Angels / Butterflies I like:
1. Grammas (Royal, Black Cap, Dejongi, the deeper water Linki isn’t all that appealing)

2. Reef Basslets (Liopropoma)

3. Hawkfish (except the larger, more predatory ones)

4. Chrysiptera Damsels (Azure, Starcki, Annulata- hard to find, Flavipinnis- hard to find, Rapanui- impossible to find)

5. True Percula Clownfish

6. Shrimp Gobies

7. Halichoeres Wrasses

8. Leopard Wrasses

9. Hogfishes (Bimaculatus, the candy cane striped ones, a few of the deepwater ones)

10. Larger / more unique Anthias (Odontanthias, Sunburst)

11. Roundheads (Marine Betta, Assessors, Calleplesiops)

12. Harlequin Tusk

13. Serranus Basslets and Hamlets

14. A FEW Tangs I don’t outright dislike (Purple, Gem, Yellow-well, it’s a classic fish, Flavicauda and some of the Bristletooths, Zebra Tang)

15. Plectranthias

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxymonacanthus longirostris, aka orange spotted filefish. They are beautiful, unusual to see in an aquarium, and the way they swim and eat is interesting and different from most of the fish we keep.
311B3233-AA3B-4168-9952-9DA78228E8CC.jpeg
1F4414B5-651E-4343-9540-EA05BA26B56D.jpeg
3F5CF3ED-4A37-482B-B368-05F07AA6CE4E.jpeg
Would love to own one but very hard to raise

Back