Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for you. I installed a gfci plug, and have a power strip mounted to the wall plugged into that. It’s one of the big 4’ 12 outlet ones. I got the apex hooked up just to start messing with it and I had it plugged into the strip. The only thing I had plugged into the eb8 we’re my t5’s. I updated firmware the apex reset and my breaker tripped. I plugged the eb8 into a different plug and it was fine. Plugged my lights into the strip, trying to trouble shoot. Everything was fine until I turned of the power strip and the breaker tripped. I unplugged the power strip with the eb8 still plugged into a different outlet and the breaker tripped. I don’t know if it’s the strip or if it’s the eb8 or the plug. I feel like it’s the eb8 has it’s the common denominator but I’m not sure. I bought it used.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned of the power strip and the breaker tripped.
Did the breaker trip or the GFCI outlet?

I feel like it’s the eb8 has it’s the common denominator but I’m not sure. I bought it used.
Very possible. It does sounds like it is possible that the EB8 may have experienced some salt creep.

Its also possible you have a defective GFCI outlet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but I think it’s an arc fault breaker. If the eb8 was damaged from salt creep could it cause the breaker to trip.
It could.

I would try plugging the EB8 into an outlet supplied by a different breaker using an extension cord and seeing if it trips a different breaker.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could.

I would try plugging the EB8 into an outlet supplied by a different breaker using an extension cord and seeing if it trips a different breaker.

I wouldn’t have thought about that, I will give it a shot tomorrow. I’m so aggravated with it tonight I think I’m done lol. My tank isn’t running yet, I’m still in build mode so it’s a good time for this to happen. I’ll do some more trouble shooting tomorrow with an extension cord. Thanks for discussing it with me.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 and anyone else with an educated answer.... picked this up off the sale table at my local hardware store. In event of emergency what could i expect to run if this is atttached to a car battery w/wo running the engine? Goal would be a couple of MP-10’s and two 100 watt heaters should heat be needed. Doable?

871446EE-4768-4E70-9E59-31783FCDB580.jpeg

Mark Bianco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to answer the question correctly you need to know the amperage hour of the battery you will be using. Once this is known we can determine the answer to your question. This very greatly from battery to battery. Below is the definition if you would like.

The Amp Hour (AH) specification provides a measurement of battery capacity. In other words, it is an indication of how much energy can be stored by the battery.
A typical Amp Hour specification might read, “100 AH @ 20HR”.
The specification is saying that the battery will provide 5 amps of current at a useable voltage continuously for 20 hours. The “5 amps” was calculated by dividing 100 by 20.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to answer the question correctly you need to know the amperage hour of the battery you will be using. Once this is known we can determine the answer to your question. This very greatly from battery to battery. Below is the definition if you would like.

The Amp Hour (AH) specification provides a measurement of battery capacity. In other words, it is an indication of how much energy can be stored by the battery.
A typical Amp Hour specification might read, “100 AH @ 20HR”.
The specification is saying that the battery will provide 5 amps of current at a useable voltage continuously for 20 hours. The “5 amps” was calculated by dividing 100 by 20.
+1

exactly this.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I back, I thought I had the problem figured out but apparently I was wrong. Ok so T5 fixture plugged into my EB8 trips my breaker. I don’t have the EB8 plugged into a GFCI but I’m pretty sure my breaker is an AFCI. If you plug the T5 into an outlet on the same circuit but not through the EB8 it seems to do fine. If you plug in a less powerful light into the same outlet on the EB8 it doesn’t trip the breaker. It only does it with T5 fixture into EB8. I have two older T5 fixtures and both do it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I back, I thought I had the problem figured out but apparently I was wrong. Ok so T5 fixture plugged into my EB8 trips my breaker. I don’t have the EB8 plugged into a GFCI but I’m pretty sure my breaker is an AFCI. If you plug the T5 into an outlet on the same circuit but not through the EB8 it seems to do fine. If you plug in a less powerful light into the same outlet on the EB8 it doesn’t trip the breaker. It only does it with T5 fixture into EB8. I have two older T5 fixtures and both do it.
Are you using outlets 4 or 8 for these T5's on the EB8?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I was planning on using those for the heaters. Do I need to switch the light to one of those?
What size heaters do you plan on using? And what is the rating on the T5 unit?

Keep in mind that total load on the EB8 needs to be under 15A (1800 watts). Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 are rated to 5A (600) watts. Outlets 4 an 8 are rated to 10A (1200 watts).

As long as your heaters are under 600 watts, I would move one of them to a different outlet and put the T5 on either 4 or 8. The T5's may react better when not on a solid state relay and outlets 4 and 8 use mechanical relays.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size heaters do you plan on using? And what is the rating on the T5 unit?

Keep in mind that total load on the EB8 needs to be under 15A (1800 watts). Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 are rated to 5A (600) watts. Outlets 4 an 8 are rated to 10A (1200 watts).

As long as your heaters are under 600 watts, I would move one of them to a different outlet and put the T5 on either 4 or 8. The T5's may react better when not on a solid state relay and outlets 4 and 8 use mechanical relays.

Not sure about the rating on the t5 but it’s just a 4 bulb fixture so it shouldn’t be that demanding. I am running two 300 watt heaters so I will move them and give #4 a shot. Worst case I’ll go around the EB8, I was just using it has a fail safe for temperature anyways. The T5 has a built in timer that I can use. I just wanted to be able to shut it down if the tank was getting to hot.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help please...Any body know how to find a wiring diagram for the pan world 100PX-P ? I took the black cover off the plug harness area and I think the two red wires came out of a connector. I am a moron...
Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back