Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Question: I am trying to find the best way to connect the ground wires from float sensors and water sensors to my Break Out Box single ground port.

I purchased the below; please help me know which is safest/best, or neither

20180317_153413.jpg
I prefer the terminal strip, but that could be because of my industrial background.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the one on the left? I plug all the grounds on one side, then the single ground from the other side? Like the pic?
20180317_181836.jpg

You will need to do it like this.
upload_2018-3-17_18-42-49.png

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ended up with this until the other sensors get put on. Before I hook up the wires, is this a safe location or do i need it in some sort of electical box?
20180317_221254.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ended up with this until the other sensors get put on. Before I hook up the wires, is this a safe location or do i need it in some sort of electical box?
20180317_221254.jpg
Since this is only being used for ground connections, this is a safe location.

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a new house and need to let my contractor know what to do with the electrical setup in my fish room. I'm putting in a 300gal DD and have told him I need 1 20amp circuit for the fish room.

Is that right or do I need more than one. I'll also have a frag tank if not two and now I'm thinking I need another 20amp.

Any thoughts?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might look at the cost to run a sub Panel into that room/ area.. Be sure the wire can handle say a 40 amp main , Then you can add circuits to that panel as you need them. You could have some Arc fault some gfci depending on your equipment and needs..

Yes VERY Over kill.. But it will make it easier down the road if you ever Expand BIG ....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a new house and need to let my contractor know what to do with the electrical setup in my fish room. I'm putting in a 300gal DD and have told him I need 1 20amp circuit for the fish room.

Is that right or do I need more than one. I'll also have a frag tank if not two and now I'm thinking I need another 20amp.

Any thoughts?
I would run at least 2 x 20A circuits.

You might look at the cost to run a sub Panel into that room/ area.. Be sure the wire can handle say a 40 amp main , Then you can add circuits to that panel as you need them.
This is also an excellent idea but I would run wiring that could handle at least 60A with the main. Not because you will need it, but you could run into some electrical code issues at 40A.

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about outlets, I will be relocating and semi re-booting my tank soon. I will have a sump and equipment room and will be running a dedicated circuit (possibly 2) to this area. How many outlets would you or can you put on a 20amp circuit? FWIW I will be running a MH/T5 light on this circuit and uses 7 outlets alone and runs around 660w. If I remember correctly a 20a circuit is rated for somewhere around 2400w. Thanks for any input.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about outlets, I will be relocating and semi re-booting my tank soon. I will have a sump and equipment room and will be running a dedicated circuit (possibly 2) to this area. How many outlets would you or can you put on a 20amp circuit? FWIW I will be running a MH/T5 light on this circuit and uses 7 outlets alone and runs around 660w. If I remember correctly a 20a circuit is rated for somewhere around 2400w. Thanks for any input.
National electric code does not provide a maximum number or receptacles connected on a branch circuit. I am aware of some local electrical codes limiting you to 12 duplex receptacles on a 20A breaker. Your area may be different but 12 is the lowest number I am aware of.

A 20A circuit is supposed to be limited to 16A by design so roughly 2000w.

Hope that helps!

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
National electric code does not provide a maximum number or receptacles connected on a branch circuit. I am aware of some local electrical codes limiting you to 12 duplex receptacles on a 20A breaker. Your area may be different but 12 is the lowest number I am aware of.

A 20A circuit is supposed to be limited to 16A by design so roughly 2000w.

Hope that helps!
I put roughly 12 as stated above. It roughly allows 180va per location. This is unless i know of the ratings for the equipment that will use the circuit. [emoji5] hope that helps too

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a 15A have a similar limit? Can it support 1800W? Thanks
A 15A breaker does have a similar restriction. It isn't really a limit, since it can support 1800w. The NEC only requires that planned loads not exceed 12A on a 15A breaker.

This doesn't come into play much with receptacles since there are rarely planned loads but the NEC doesn't exclude them. It is also a good practice.

Where this comes into play is if a builder is going to install an electric heater or similar device. They may be allowed to also put lights on the same circuit depending on the rating. The combined ratings of the heaters and the lighting cannot exceed 80% of the breaker rating.

Does that make sense?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15A breaker does have a similar restriction. It isn't really a limit, since it can support 1800w. The NEC only requires that planned loads not exceed 12A on a 15A breaker.

This doesn't come into play much with receptacles since there are rarely planned loads but the NEC doesn't exclude them. It is also a good practice.

Where this comes into play is if a builder is going to install an electric heater or similar device. They may be allowed to also put lights on the same circuit depending on the rating. The combined ratings of the heaters and the lighting cannot exceed 80% of the breaker rating.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely makes sense. Thanks. My new setup will only max at around 4 Amps, but there will be another outlet on that circuit in the same family room. Just want to let the wife know what to avoid (like a hair dryer for instance).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back