Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how would i make it turn on if say the power goes out in the middle of the night?
You would need to set it up and turn it on.
If you spent more money and bought an 11kw gen with an automatic tranfer switch and had an electrician install it. You would not have to do anything at all. At loss of power the gen would start and transfer the load to the gen. Once power is restored it would automatically tranfer the load back to the grid.
This gen while in standby mode would also exercise once a week meaning start and transfer your load to it. Which would keep it clean and ready to use when needed. You would need to do maintaince once a year. Deffinitely the way to go. You could probably get it done for under 5 grand.

But when you lose power, your tank is not going to crash immediately so you have some time to get it set up if needed when using a regular generator.

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to set it up and turn it on.
If you spent more money and bought an 11kw gen with an automatic tranfer switch and had an electrician install it. You would not have to do anything at all. At loss of power the gen would start and transfer the load to the gen. Once power is restored it would automatically tranfer the load back to the grid.
This gen while in standby mode would also exercise once a week meaning start and transfer your load to it. Which would keep it clean and ready to use when needed. You would need to do maintaince once a year. Deffinitely the way to go. You could probably get it done for under 5 grand.

But when you lose power, your tank is not going to crash immediately so you have some time to get it set up if needed when using a regular generator.
ill have to stick with the standard generator i work a couple hours a night as a janitor my car isnt even worth 5 grand!

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill have to stick with the standard generator i work a couple hours a night as a janitor my car isnt even worth 5 grand!
Buy a decent generator, get a generator mechanical lock out for your type of electrical panel, some 10/3 romex, a pb30 " receptacle that gets installed on the side of your home" so you can plug in your generator, male 30amp twist lock cord end, female 30amp cord end, some sjo cord so you can make a cord fir the connection between the pb30 and your gen, you should be good to go.

This will not run your whole home but will run your important circuits in the home in an emergency. Well pump, furnace, frig, tank and so on

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a decent generator, get a generator mechanical lock out for your type of electrical panel, some 10/3 romex, a pb30 " receptacle that gets installed on the side of your home" so you can plug in your generator, male 30amp twist lock cord end, female 30amp cord end, some sjo cord so you can make a cord fir the connection between the pb30 and your gen, you should be good to go.

This will not run your whole home but will run your important circuits in the home in an emergency. Well pump, furnace, frig, tank and so on
And a couple lights too

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of an odd situation. Before I closed on my house we had to have an electrician come and move the breaker box (house had been without power for a year, so we had to bring it up to 'code' to get power on). I dont have any knowledge on how it was wired up beforehand as obviously, there was no power. Doing work on the kitchen this weekend I could NOT find which breaker shut off the kitchen lights by flipping breakers 1 by 1. Lots of trial and error later, I find I have to have 3 different breakers flipped just to kill the 1 circuit. 2 are adjacent, one is not. What is the deal?? With seemingly the same circuit going through 3 breakers, is the circuit protected @ 15 amps or would it take 45 to pop the breaker? Is this safe? Is the electrician a moron? And of course all the breakers are mislabeled because the electrician came back 2 days later to label them from memory....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of an odd situation. Before I closed on my house we had to have an electrician come and move the breaker box (house had been without power for a year, so we had to bring it up to 'code' to get power on). I dont have any knowledge on how it was wired up beforehand as obviously, there was no power. Doing work on the kitchen this weekend I could NOT find which breaker shut off the kitchen lights by flipping breakers 1 by 1. Lots of trial and error later, I find I have to have 3 different breakers flipped just to kill the 1 circuit. 2 are adjacent, one is not. What is the deal?? With seemingly the same circuit going through 3 breakers, is the circuit protected @ 15 amps or would it take 45 to pop the breaker? Is this safe? Is the electrician a moron? And of course all the breakers are mislabeled because the electrician came back 2 days later to label them from memory....
And this was a licensed electrical contractor?

Without knowing exactly how it is wired I can't say how much current it will take but it isn't a good situation.

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would research that more. It should trip all three if they are indeed connected together. Are all the breakers on the same phase? If they are on different phases they would be tripping eachother or at least should be

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not the electricians fault if he did not wire it. He just moved the electrical panel and did not wire the home. He would not have control over your situation at all

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was definitely a licensed electrician, had to be to get the electrical inspection done by the city.

Followup: I plan to have a different company come do some work to run a dedicated line for my new aquarium build. How much power should I run for a 300 gallon with a fish room. Should I install a bank of wall plugs, or is some sort of power center a better option?

I guess what would the ideal situation be for electrical

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was definitely a licensed electrician, had to be to get the electrical inspection done by the city.

Followup: I plan to have a different company come do some work to run a dedicated line for my new aquarium build. How much power should I run for a 300 gallon with a fish room. Should I install a bank of wall plugs, or is some sort of power center a better option?

I would run (2) 20A circuits with outlets laid out in a manner to reflect your installation. For instance, if you plan on using LED's you may want one or two receptacles directly over the tank.

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your 20 amp circuit is designed to trip at 80 percent of the amperage, so you can effectively put upto 16 amps on a 20 amp breaker. It all depends on the name plate ratings of your equipment that you are using.

JRA8688

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be an estimated cost for an electrician to run a dedicated outlet and 20amp breaker. Maybe 30 ft distance from breaker in garage to living room. I have a friend who is willing to help but his schedule is quite conflicting with mine.

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be an estimated cost for an electrician to run a dedicated outlet and 20amp breaker. Maybe 30 ft distance from breaker in garage to living room. I have a friend who is willing to help but his schedule is quite conflicting with mine.
Around 500 maybe

JROD79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a dedicated line i would go with a gfci breaker so you can hide the outlet behind your tank and should not have to access it again.
I would use an in-use cover for the outlet behind the tank, it may keep some of the salt out of it

Sent from my SM-G935V using REEF2REEF mobile app

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back