Your thoughts on this Duncan

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago I used a Dremel and cut this Duncan off the frag plug and put it on a piece of dry rock then glued it on the rock work where you see it.

Since then it hasn’t opened much and the last couple days it looked like you see in the picture.
I’ve included a picture of my light schedule and a picture of my current water parameters. The Duncan is about 14 inches from the light and the light (Prime 16HD). I have a diffuser on the light that according to the manufacturer decreases the intensity by 10% - 15%.

Everything else in the tank is doing well, so I don’t think it’s the water. I’ve included a picture of the whole tank for comparison as well.

I don’t know what’s up the Duncan. Could it be too much light, could it still be stressed from cutting it from the frag plug? I’m kinda lost on what to do or if I need to do anything. Any info or suggestions you may have is appreciate.
Thanks for your help.

592BDEC0-EE1D-4B00-A3A4-A525218A5267.jpeg 2252EC14-916B-43DF-829E-886231290712.png 0FF79CFD-1C52-4C7D-86B2-15B04BD0FD36.jpeg E044CA4E-0B0F-48D6-967C-4AE9BB4DAE96.png

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. My plan has been to wait it out. But since its been a couple weeks I though I’d ask for help. It’s certainly possible that I damaged it when I cut it but I was pretty careful and cut it very close to the frag plug.

if I cut into live tissue would there be some sign of damage in this amount of time? I‘m pretty new to this (newly returned after a multi-decade break) but I do t see any visible tissue damage.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have not mentioned flow. How much flow and have you fed or do you feed? Flow is recommended to be moderate to moderately high flow with feeding 2 to 3 times a week.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Clownfish are bothering the Duncan? I've had this happen in one of my tanks before. The constant interaction between the two just became too much. You might want to check the tank at night and see if the Duncan expands at all and if the Clownfish seem interested in it.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using the return for flow. The return pump is a IM Mighty Jet. It’s at San little more than 300gph. I have it turned about half way up. I also have a random flow generator on the return line.

I can turn the pump up and see if that helps if you think it might be flow.

i feed spot Reef Roids once a week. I can increase to twice a week. The only reason for once a week is to help keep nutrients under control.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Clownfish are bothering the Duncan? I've had this happen in one of my tanks before. The constant interaction between the two just became too much. You might want to check the tank at night and see if the Duncan expands at all and if the Clownfish seem interested in it.
Good point. I didn’t think of that. Tge tank is my office, I’ll keep a eye on them. There’s really no difference with the Duncan at night. It has been a little more open than this, no real extension, and not a lot more open just a little. But the last couple days it’s looked like this.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using the return for flow. The return pump is a IM Mighty Jet. It’s at San little more than 300gph. I have it turned about half way up. I also have a random flow generator on the return line.

I can turn the pump up and see if that helps if you think it might be flow.

i feed spot Reef Roids once a week. I can increase to twice a week. The only reason for once a week is to help keep nutrients under control.
Certainly cant hurt. As an option, if you do not want to have a greater sump turnover, you can place a small power head in the tank. Flow is important for all corals and the Duncan's are no exception.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back