You're sooooo good lookin'!

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the reference, you have a special place in my heart :).

Well my name is Ashley and I might be over my head. Bought an aquarium from someone getting out of the hobby last Friday. We brought it home and set it up using existing water, live rock and substrate that were in the aquarium from the seller.

So. It was Saturday am (or during the night some time) that the water cleared and I was able to have a good look. I started noticing these white 'worms' of varying sizes on the rock. I know they are dead because they have not moved since I first saw them. Others look like casing of some sort? I have no idea. I'm wondering if I need to take all the rocks out, clean them and start over? I don't want to lose all the good bacteria but I'm just not sure what they are so if anyone can help with an ID?

Also (last pictures), I noticed some red marks on the rock that MAY have been there and I just never noticed because I was too busy trying to figure out if the 'worms' were alive or not. Any ID thoughts or is that just the rock?

The last two sets of pictures are the same, but one with flash, one without. Best I could do...

Currently, I have nothing in the aquarium...wanting to start testing the values tonight for a few weeks until I have reliable consistency before adding anything.

I would appreciate any thoughts and follow up directions lol.

Thanks,
Ashley
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seinfeld

Those white things look like tube worms. They are harmless just more of an eye soar if anything. They are filter feeders.

But they don't move at all? Ever? I feel like all my LR is covered in these....that ok? Proceed as normal?

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will get encrusted with coralline soon and not be as noticeable

(obviously in the newbie section for a reason)....
I agree. Harmless lil things. I wouldn’t worry about trying to clean your rock. Anytime you move a tank there will be a bit of die off. Just let it cycle and be patient. And the red looks like coralline algae to me. Kinda hard to tell tho.

So it would make sense there was tube worms when it was running at the sellers and these have died during transit or for some other reason? But the point is, they are dead with will naturally be dealt with?

Also from what I have read...things encrusted in coralline and coralline algae are....good?

I still (and probably always will) have lots of research to do but I feel better this sounds like it is not an emergency.

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for putting my worries to rest! I appreciate the welcome and the time spent to answer my questions or just pop in to say hello! Excited to begin testing tonight and see where everything is at! I made an excel spread sheet lol. ;Bookworm

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the welcoming advice and kind words!

Just for the sake of never doing it before I did my water tests last night - all looked pretty good except the Nitrate which is pretty much through the roof.

I know not to worry, lots to be done! I don't want to rush anything because I want it to be perfect and not wish I had done something different down the line. Working on a design for the aquarium - mine is more vertical than horizontal (not ideal I know but that was the card I was dealt...now to make it work) so been spending a lot of time lurking through google and the forums for inspiration. Coming to think I will drill a structure together that is bottom heavy so I don't need to worry about it falling over but I can still move or rearrange if I need to clean or assist a man fish who went the wrong direction (just kidding ;)). Something that doesn't touch the glass anywhere and can stand alone. Love the idea of caverns, shelves, tunnels, overhangs (for possible future placement of coral...eeek!) or just diversity in general.

Posting below are my water tests from last night - please let me know if I'm on the right track...I believe all is acceptable except the nitrate...and no idea what to do about that...will be researching a fix on that today. I was experimenting with the Phosphate in terms of how much water the eye dropper thing takes in based on how I squeezed it which is why there are two tests for that. The darker one is the fuller one.

Let me know what you all think!
IMG_0419.jpg IMG_0421.jpg IMG_0424.jpg IMG_0423.jpg IMG_0422.jpg IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Back