ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pretzels are making me thirsty....LOL

Welcome and you sold me with the opening line.

I literally just laughed out loud at yours in my office. That was an epic episode!

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I need some help here...

I read that if you have high nitrate that is makes sense to test the water source and that makes sense to me...so I did. The good news is there is no nitrate in my water as per the below yellow vial. So I decided to do another test of the aquarium water just to be sure...so I did. The bad news is that I still have high nitrate.

Still nothing in the aquarium except live rock from previous owner. Has been set up since last Friday...so ALMOST a week using previous owners live rock, water, substrate...

Where do I go from here? Water changes? Wait because it has only been a week? Everything else tested fine (I think) as seen in previous pictures in this thread. (Confirmation would be helpful!). Thoughts?
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems it’s cycling. That’s pretty high for an established tank so maybe there was some die off in the rocks of some bacteria. It may take another week or so to get it back on par with normal levels.

I suggest you mix some water and do a waterchange. It will help lower that level.

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems it’s cycling. That’s pretty high for an established tank so maybe there was some die off in the rocks of some bacteria. It may take another week or so to get it back on par with normal levels.

I suggest you mix some water and do a waterchange. It will help lower that level.

Ok that was going to be my next move. If I am going to drill the live rock and do some aquascaping, does it make sense to wait after the dust settles (so to speak) from that before I worry about the levels or will that affect it at all?

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that was going to be my next move. If I am going to drill the live rock and do some aquascaping, does it make sense to wait after the dust settles (so to speak) from that before I worry about the levels or will that affect it at all?

Taking the rock our for drilling and 'playing' will certainly lead to more die off so wait till you done and then do a nice big water change. I would think you will at best be having a mini-cycle which may clear quickly but like I said before, patience is the key...

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Keep in mind if you used existing sand, a lot of the detritus was stirred up in the process. Just start water changes till the level drops to your desired range.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Nice rock, thanks for sharing!

PS it’s great to have someone appreciate what a stud I am! :D

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds like what I am experiencing is pretty normal considering the acquisition of the aquarium so I will play around with it, followed by some water changes and see what happens from there.

Pic below is how it stands when we picked it up from the seller - will be trading whatever live rock I don't use (probably at least half) for some goods with a reef friend. At my place, rocks are piled similar to keep them submerged until I'm done drilling (likely next weekend) and get rid of what I don't want.

From what I've been reading, I need to keep it simple stupid and stay away from the sides and bottom leaving lots of room for the fish, cleaning and future growth while still replicating the real ocean with caves and ledges and overhangs.

Challenge accepted. :cool:

1.PNG

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds like what I am experiencing is pretty normal considering the acquisition of the aquarium so I will play around with it, followed by some water changes and see what happens from there.

Pic below is how it stands when we picked it up from the seller - will be trading whatever live rock I don't use (probably at least half) for some goods with a reef friend. At my place, rocks are piled similar to keep them submerged until I'm done drilling (likely next weekend) and get rid of what I don't want.

From what I've been reading, I need to keep it simple stupid and stay away from the sides and bottom leaving lots of room for the fish, cleaning and future growth while still replicating the real ocean with caves and ledges and overhangs.

Challenge accepted. :cool:

1.PNG
I like it! Lots of rock packed in there! :)

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big build weekend coming up with my husband. We normally do not work well together but I know he will bring lots of build and tool knowledge to the table...so I sort of need him. ;Shifty

Can anyone suggest some ideas for the build in terms of equipment I will need or advice you wish you had before you did yours? From what I have read, I believe I need some sort of diamond drill bit and either fiberglass or acrylic rods (there seems to be a split on which is better)...do I need some glue of some kind or zip ties?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
ABopp

ABopp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about driveway markers or coat hangers? I have seen a lot of people suggest those (minus the reflector) but something about that just seems a bit fishy to me. How could that support such heavy LR?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back