Zebra Lion Fish??? anyone have any?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Aaron H., Oct 27, 2011.

1. Aaron H.

Aaron H. Member

I just set up a FOWLR tank. Its still cycling. dont worry, no fish. but my question is this.. I love lion fish, always have, but my tank is a 55gallon. i want to have alot of colorful fish obviously. but i was looking into adding a zebra dwarf lionfish as well (because obviously a Volitan Lionfish wouldnt work in a 55g). but i dont know how they are as far as eating other fish in the tank or what. I want to add some butterfly fish and a flame angel, im not worried about those being eaten, but im also wanting to add some wrasses or dottybacks or some other smaller fish. would adding a dwarf zebra lion be a bad idea? i guess what im asking is, if i added the zebra lion, would it eat other fish? what do they usualy eat? and i guess shrim would be out of the question to have in there too.

Tags:

2. nixer

nixer Valuable Member

lets make this easy.
    if it can fit in its mouth it can eat it.
    small fish and lion fish are a chance period

3. DJ_in_WV

DJ_in_WV Member R2R Supporter

+1

I had one is my first tank a 55 it was cool any shrimp or little fish are fair game tho my banded coral shrimp seem to be a exception. Mine would eat pellets and frozen foods

4. Murfman

Murfman Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I have a fuzzy Dwarf in my 300. Just can't keep shrimp or baby fish.

5. Aaron H.

Aaron H. Member

So if i were to get one. I need to get it as a baby. Lol. Should it be a first or last fish added? Assuming i buy fish that are already bigger.

6. aquabull

aquabull Active Member

If it is the last fish added, there will be a lesser chance of it predating upon established inhabitants. New fish send out scared signals that attract ambush predators.
    Most shrimp will be smoked! my dwarf lion hangs out with a black ocellaris clown. As long as the clown does not try anything funny, it should work. Although there is always that risk; " if it can fit in it's mouth, it is bound to end up there sometime!"

7. caudill187

caudill187 Valuable Member

I had one for a while and loved him. I made the mistake of thinking because he was a predator and venoumous, he would do OK with aggressive fish. I ended up having to give him away when my polleni group started bullying him. Live and learn, I guess.

FYI, it took me a while to get him eating frozen food. I had to give him live ghost shrimp for a while, then frozen ghost shrimp, then frozen krill and silversides.

8. danielbui23

danielbui23 Active Member

I think the main concern for those fish are getting the proper drip acclimation and keeping them from starving to death.

Draft saved Draft deleted