OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ycnibrc . I'm just starting out. Fishless cycle with ammonia. 2.5 weeks so far. What should I do to start off with Zeovit? Would like to do hybrid approach. I have RSR650, Bubble mangus curve 7, caribsea life rock and sand. No lights yet as. Looking at Reefi, red sea and other led options. Do i need zeo reactor to start or at all? Should I get lighting setup before starting? Can stones be ran passively in sump? Been reading all the threads, lots to absorb so thanks for your time in helping us out.
U can start zeobak and zeostart3 for the first 3 months 50% dosage. The zeolite rock is not necessary. After 3 months u can increase 10% and start spongepower. If u can get some real live Rock then it will help speed up the cycle process.

Tallshawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can start zeobak and zeostart3 for the first 3 months 50% dosage. The zeolite rock is not necessary. After 3 months u can increase 10% and start spongepower. If u can get some real live Rock then it will help speed up the cycle process.
Should I wait till after 3 months to add fish? Corals? Should I be doing water changes thoughtout the process? Should i get led lights before start dosing? Thanks again

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should I wait till after 3 months to add fish? Corals? Should I be doing water changes thoughtout the process? Should i get led lights before start dosing? Thanks again
No water change needed. You can add fish as soon as nitrite is 0. Corals u can add slowly after 3 months.

Tallshawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water change needed. You can add fish as soon as nitrite is 0. Corals u can add slowly after 3 months.
Last question
Last questions then I'll leave you alone. Lol. How many lbs. of real live rock should be added? And when do I start to run carbon? Thanks again.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last question

Last questions then I'll leave you alone. Lol. How many lbs. of real live rock should be added? And when do I start to run carbon? Thanks again.
5-10lbs is good since all you need is to introduce a bacteria culture so they can multiple. Your tank has sand which have more surface for bacteria to grow and it's very good. The minimalist aquascape might look nice but it reduce a lot of surface area for the bacteria to grow. Remember we use to add 1lb per gallon before and have 3" sand bed.

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a zeovit hybrid which I design for my own tank. I don't use the zeolite rock as much because I don't see it add anymore advantage to my system. Zeo recommend no UV but I have UV in my system to help clear the water and prevent a little fish parasite. So at the end of the day I don't follow 100% how the zeovit guide tell u what to do but that's a beauty of this system.
6DCFB286-D42F-422B-8617-58C36885E8F3.jpeg

This is very encouraging! I would like to run the zeovit system but don't want to run the rocks reactor and I also run UV!

Do you run a fuge? I love this post!

Tallshawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-10lbs is good since all you need is to introduce a bacteria culture so they can multiple. Your tank has sand which have more surface for bacteria to grow and it's very good. The minimalist aquascape might look nice but it reduce a lot of surface area for the bacteria to grow. Remember we use to add 1lb per gallon before and have 3" sand bed.
Is lighting needed to start out? still haven't decided yet. I will not be adding coral until a few months anyway. Thanks.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is lighting needed to start out? still haven't decided yet. I will not be adding coral until a few months anyway. Thanks.
No need for light when you are cycling the tank. Actually its better because it can reduce excess algae growth

Tallshawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to clarify your recommendation. My tank/sump volume is 175 gal. So 50% dose for 3 months is 35ml zeo start and 17.5ml Zeobak. Everyday for 3 months. Then dose 10% more going forward? And add sponge power at 21ml/ day. All of these products are done daily? Or is there a set schedule with days off in between?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just want to clarify your recommendation. My tank/sump volume is 175 gal. So 50% dose for 3 months is 35ml zeo start and 17.5ml Zeobak. Everyday for 3 months. Then dose 10% more going forward? And add sponge power at 21ml/ day. All of these products are done daily? Or is there a set schedule with days off in between?
I calculated the dosage and divide to either 5 or 7 depends on u. I like to dose daily so my routine is repeating. After 3 months then base on observation you can increase 10% each month until reaching full dose.
the key to zeovit is u need to observe your tank and adjust the dosage to it. Full dose recommend by zeovit doesn’t apply to every tank

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc

Ok I'd like to start dosing Zeovit to my tank!

To start I'll describe my system. I have a 200g DT with approximately 250g total system volume including the sump and filtration system.

Current Parameters
Alk 9.6
Cal 453
Mag 1432
NO3 15
PO4 0.04
PH 8.23

I've had the tank running for nearly a year now, but the first 4 months of that was rock only with no livestock and lights out... just bottled bacteria. About 8mo ago I began adding livestock, fish first, then test corals. I now have a full on mixed reef with many corals including lots of SPS frags... the tank will eventually be mostly SPS. I don't plan to run a shaker reactor or the zeovit stones... currently I maintain nutrient levels with Phosphat-E and very light vodka dosing. I run a refugium as well to help with nutrient uptake as well as a very large skimmer.

With all that said, how should I start my switch to Zeovit? What do you suggest I dose? How much? I have 4 for sure, possibly 5 channels of dosers that I can dedicate to KZ products. Which can/should I automate the dosing of? Are there any I can mix together and or with RODI to make a combo solution of several?

Your tank is beautiful! thanks for all your help!

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
U can calculate dosage for 250g and dose 50% for the first 3 months then increase 10% each month after until full dose. Example zeobak is recommended 2 drops per 25g per week so u will need 20 drops per week. 50% is 10 drops so u can do 2 drops M-F. Observe your tank to see if algae is more or less also test nitrate and phosphate to keep a base line so u can tell when your tank bacteria is starting to populate. If u dose zeostart3 bak, zeostart3 and sponge power then your nutrients should start to slowly lower as long as u keep feeding and exporting the same.

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can calculate dosage for 250g and dose 50% for the first 3 months then increase 10% each month after until full dose. Example zeobak is recommended 2 drops per 25g per week so u will need 20 drops per week. 50% is 10 drops so u can do 2 drops M-F. Observe your tank to see if algae is more or less also test nitrate and phosphate to keep a base line so u can tell when your tank bacteria is starting to populate. If u dose zeostart3 bak, zeostart3 and sponge power then your nutrients should start to slowly lower as long as u keep feeding and exporting the same.

Awesome!

So you recommend I start with only:

ZeoBak
ZeoStart3
Sponge Power

Run these 3 at 50% dose for 3 months then increase and possibly add other KZ products? I was thinking of Flatworm Stop etc to help acro base out and health...? What would you auto dose or should I just hand dose everything for now?

I appreciate your insight!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back