Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your response! I guess that is something I forgot to add... I do dose vinegar, 50ml/day, as a carbon source. I have used the BRS ROX carbon in a filter bag, two of them(generously filled), and still struggled with high numbers. I do have an extremely large bio load with the following fish: Tangs: Powder, purple, freckle face, blue, chocolate (still yellow); 6 anthias, five chalk bass, two striped gobies, yellow gobies, fox face, magnificent fox, and maybe two to three others. So almost 30 fish. I knew I was going to have quite the bio load. I do like to feed heavy as well. My fish are fat and happy.

I ordered the whole system of products yesterday:

000 mL ZEOmix Media - Aquaforest
AF Power Elixir (200 mL) - Aquaforest
5000 mL Phosphate Minus - Aquaforest
5000 mL Carbon - Aquaforest
Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor - XL - Aquamaxx
50 mL AF Vitality Coral Vitamins - Aquaforest
50 mL AF Energy Growth Acceleration Food - Aquaforest
50 mL AF Build Coral Growth Enhancement - Aquaforest
50 mL Pro Bio S Probiotic Bacteria - Aquaforest
50 mL -NP Pro Liquid Polymer - Aquaforest
Replacement Foam Sponges for FR-SE Filter Media Reactor - Aquamaxx
AF Growth Boost Amino Acids - Aquaforest
AF Pure Food - Aquaforest

All in ;)
The system as a whole, is great for colors. The carbon is excellent, I still use it too, as well as salt. I would use a sponge ring, in the reactor, to separate carbon and phosphate minus, Perhaps introduce these at 50-75% of recommendations in building your stack, obviously zeolites, then carbon, sponge, phosphate minus on top. Set reactor to a gentle tumble on phosphate minus, as to not escape the reactor, or over fluidize.
As with the all supps, 1/2 to start, best of luck :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like aquaforests product that uses the copper sulphate which is how you get the pastel look in both systems for the most part. More options to “tweak” colors with zeo but I haven’t seen anyone really do a good job with it for years. It’s lots of work. The aqua forest stuff is much much milder and easier to not bleach your corals when trying to get the light natural coloration ime.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I travel a lot, any suggestions on setting this up as automated as possible?

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone’s advice. I started the reactor and dosing of the above as suggested except for the reactor. I decide to start with 25 percent on the zeo, 50 percent on the carbon and geo. It has been almost a week. My nitrates have remained around 35-40 with phosphorus dropping from .25 to .15 over about 4 days. I also did a probably 15 percent water change during that time.

At what point would you recommend moving up the percentage? I have also been home and feeding heavy. 2-3x per day with several sheet of nori.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4410.jpeg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I travel a lot, any suggestions on setting this up as automated as possible?

There are ways to automation, but typically, a full system seems to favor the user who prefers hand dosing. I have means to automate k, and trace, but feel more connected through my daily regiment. Having a keen eye, to see slight color shifts and other visual indicators also helps these additives make sense. Arbitrary dosing, without observation, could lead to issues down the line. That said, most who are frequent travelers have more considerations than the standard reefing ones, which are already daunting. So, yes and no... Probiotic, might need a tank sitter. Balling, automate on 3 channel doser, no worries. Coral foods, best to hand dose. Bacteria and AF Energy need to be refrigerated, so not easy to automate. The carbon source can be mixed with RODI and dosed, but again, not my thing. Vitamins, aminos, being in doser, hmmm, not easily automated. I suspect, your getting the picture by now...

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I came to that conclusion and my wife helps when I travel. I decided to start when I know my travel will be limited. Do you see anything I would add to the package? How long would you recommend waiting on increases to the media?

Thanks again for your help and Happy Thanksgiving!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back