OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of town for back-to-back weekends so regular maintenance and upkeep has been slacking a bit. I'm still dosing one cap-full of Acropower, which is 5mL on the 500mL bottle, per day on my 150g volume system. Still seeing continued PE, good colors and increased growth (will try to take more comparison pictures this week).

The Tahitian maxima was finally removed after a very slow death in my system and some of the chalice frags and a few other LPS weren't looking so hot. Upon really close inspection, I noticed hydroids on some of my high end chalice frags, jawbreaker mushroom, and a few zoa frags. I took those frags out and tried to manually remove all of the hydoids I could see with a toothbrush. We also came home to a little bit of diatom/cyano on the sandbed. Phosphates were at 0.06ppm and Nitrates were at 0.85ppm yesterday . I don't think that the nuisance algae is related to the AP -- I think it's directly tied to me running half of my regular amount of GFO (0.5c instead of my regular 1.0c) and the clam dying. I suspect it will clean up with a WC and a carbon/gfo swap.

We replaced 1.0c of Seachem Matrix carbon with a fresh batch and I replaced 0.5c (again, normally run 1.0c) of BRS GFO with 0.66c of Rowaphos. We also did some rearranging in the tanks because some of the plates, zoas and mushrooms weren't reacting well to certain flow patters.

To add to all of that, I accidentally left the doser in "manual mode" before we left for the weekend and had a mini-alk drop after 30-hrs of being away -- from 8.4 to 7.2 I manually raised it back to 8.2 with two spaced out doses of BRS alk (soda ash).

Here were the other parameters:

Alk: 8.2 (was 7.2 yesterday and manually brought it up)
Cal: 430
Mg: 1480
K+: 390
pH: 8.2-8.4 (day-night)
Temp: 77.0-77.5

We'll be doing a 20% WC tonight and hopefully things will get back in good order rather quickly. Other than all of that, the corals are reacting well to the LED swap over the Envision -- still running the VHOs as we have about 3-more weeks of acclimation mode.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the loss of the clam.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It was a tough one and after the first month or so, it never looked happy. It hung on for about four more months, but finally kicked the bucket. Based on the forums, it seems that others have had similar issues with Tahitian maximas. Needless to say, I won't be trying any more clams in this system.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate reporting this, but it is what it is, I'm losing the JF Sweet Tooth very slowly. Every day it's been retracting a little more and more. No visible pests bothering it and the feeders have been out every morning -- and it ate Nutramar Ova yesterday morning. I'm going to try dipping it in iodine or melafix tonight or tomorrow based on how it looks tonight.

In other "my chalice collection is suffering" news, I individually plucked off hydoids that were stinging the "Sexy Coral's My Sexy" and "JF Bubblicious" last night because the toothbrush scrub I gave them a few days ago didn't get all of the little buggers off. Very tedious but I don't know of another option.

Always something to challenge us along the way in this hobby.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine had a similar problem and he used an antibiotic to stop the receding. I'll try to get you the name

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've had great success using Copperband BF and Aiptasia eating filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) as hydroid controllers. I have two different species of hydroids that pop up from time to time in my office aquarium and they're gone quickly after adding one of the above for a week or so. Obviously you have to watch them with coral once they remove hydroids. If they go after corals you could keep them in sump/fuge/QT until hydroids pop up again, which as you know, they will.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Post # 552:
.... I've read posts from some long-time, very successful, reefers that have used this as a matter of course every 6-8 months to freshen things up. I'm not sure I'll adopt that approach, but I'm enjoying the immediate effect.

It's been about 8-months and we're back to battling cyano (ever since the clam died) so we decided to give the Chemiclean treatment another go since we had good results last time. Following the same procedure as before only this time I'm going to keep the skimmer running with the cup removed.

Nothing else to really update. Levels have been consistent and things are looking pretty good, not great. The new Hydra52 is around 80% in the acclimation mode, with blues peaking around 70% and whites peaking around 30%.

Still dosing AP, though not as consistently since I've been out of town a lot over the last few weeks -- around 4x/week @ 5mL.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new LED is just about done with the 6-week acclimation period so figured I'd post up a new FTS:

Envision FTS by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Honestly, not super happy with how the tank is aquascaped, the corals on the left side all blend together because from afar they're the same color (and appear brown from FTS length), the frag rack in the back of the tank NEEDS to go ASAP and there are a few corals that just don't fit well. Up close the corals on the left side have good color and polyp extension but they lack-luster.

I've been trying to get some shots of a few new corals but I'm having troubles getting the color balance right to show off the pieces. In person, they're awesome and I'm hoping to share them on here in the future.

I don't expect to ever be able to share this piece again...we've been losing it over the past month. Really sucks because it's easily the coolest hammer I've seen in person and the picture doesn't do it justice. In person it has (had) bright teal tips with bright yellow branches.

ASD Teal/Yellow Hammer (RIP) by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Still a slow grower but the Reef Raft Led Zeppelin is doing well:

RR Led Zeppelin by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Same with the Reef Raft Warhammer Hillae:

RR Warhammer Hillae by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Here's a shot of the WWC Red Dragon, great grower for me and has held up during the acclimation:

WWC Red Dragon by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

Still battling issues with the receding chalices and some cyano in the ADA. Frustrating! Have dipped a few things in iodine and just been trying to keep up on regular maintenance. Hoping it's just a bump in the road and we can get through it.

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soooo want that led zeppelin to take off. Fingers crossed.

I have a feeling the existing branches won't grow and it will finally start shooting up branches once it hits the rockwork -- at least that's been my experience when corals grow like this one is. That, of course, is assuming I can keep it alive! :)

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawbreaker mushroom settling in:

DSC_7232.jpg by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

As with the Envision, not happy with where things are at but it's part of "growing pains" -- we're thinking about adding a rock to the left side of the left column and letting zoas cover it. We'll see if we actually go through with it.

ADA FTS 3.17.14 by ..:.. EZ ..:.., on Flickr

OP
OP
zibba

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! All your photos are great. I really like that damsel pic.

Thanks. Something a little different with the black-background. It's a Starki Damsel, great fish.

Eric, still loving all the shots. I picked up a Canon T3 this weekend and I can't wait to start taking shots half as good as yours.

Excellent news! Let me know if I can help. The T3 is a nice versatile camera, you'll enjoy it for both the aquarium and everyday photos of the fam/vacations. Check out Photoshop Elements or Lightroom, or the cloud-based Lightroom for editing. They try to make those programs pretty user friendly and it will go a long way in processing the unique lighting of our aquariums.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Superb shots!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back