Zoa fragging question

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m preparing to frag some plays that are growing pretty quickly. My question is: can I cut the long stalks off or do I still have to cut them towards the bottom? I personally don’t like the long stalks, but if they stay on they stay on.
EE773834-E0B4-4654-A76E-3B79B209BDAB.jpeg
ng

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are getting this long is usually means they are reaching for the light, so you might want to place them a bit higher.

Other than that, cut them at the bottom. If you can scrape a bit of stone of the better. They hold a lot of water inside so it will be much easier to glue them that way. (With expensive zoa I don't even risk the cut, take the stone of and cut that in smaller pieces. No cuts in the zoa's = less stress = more better)

Reefsupreme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
zoas are reaching for more light. Turn lights up or move them. Cut as close as you can to the rock if you can’t get some rock with it.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to add that when I got them, they already had long stalks. The new polyps they’re putting out don’t have the long stalks, and all my other zoas don’t have stalks. Anyways, I will definitely cut low and not high. Thank you!

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Update! I wasn’t able to cut any polyps off of the main part of the colony, but I found some growing way under the rock. It had to be pitch black under there Some had fallen off when I first got them and always wondered where they went. I guess they set up shop in my pistol shrimp’s cave

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back