Zoa Growout!

Reef Genetics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up my fellow reefers decided to do a zoa growout thread! Will be posting pictures weekly to see how they grow out. Feel free to input any advice or comments looking to see how it turns out. Will definetly be adding more coral frags along the way! Stay tuned and follow along! Reefing one day at a time! Feel free to post pictures of your zoas so we can all follow along as well in your growout journey!
20200116_084501.jpg

Last edited:

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of my favorite zoas! I just took these pictures last night.

flow: medium, gyre flow. (Icecap 1k)
lighting: AI prime HD
Salinity: 1.025-1.026
Nitrates: 5-15ppm (API test kit)
Phosphates: .5 to 1ppm
Temperature: 76F
DKh: 10
PH: 7.8
Calcium: 400-420ppm

Dosing schedule- 2 times a week I dose 2.5ml reef fuel and I dose 10ml live phyto from @AlgaeBarn daily. I feed fish and broadcast feed my corals, giving them 45 minutes with no flow to eat. After water changes or new coral introductions, I dose 5ml of stability.

I recently invested in a RO system and I’m eager to see how that affects my parameters in the long run! :p
CC218D7F-A04A-4FC2-8A89-A982BE149652.jpeg
930DE668-5F8B-4203-A7FB-BD7B720CBA6B.jpeg
06358F2E-4D9B-443D-ADCB-542E3DDE293D.jpeg
D45F07FA-BFD7-423C-BCEE-46D42806B192.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef Genetics

Reef Genetics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some amazing zoas man what are they called!? Hope to see updates of how they grow out really looking forward to it man! I've used AI primes before and have seen that they color up zoas really well. Im sure with the dosing you are doing you will get great results!

OP
OP
Reef Genetics

Reef Genetics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some of the current things going on with the set up I have its a small 30 gallon lagoon about 2ftx1.5ftx12in

Flow: low just using a return pump for flow at the moment
LIghting: Kessil a360we approximetly at 40%
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrates: 5-15ppm
Phosphates: 1ppm
Temperature: 79 F
DKh: 7.1
PH: 7
Calcium: 400 PPM

Will be feeding reef roids with poly lab to trigger feeding response. Will also be doing weekly water changes since I dont have a sump in these set up.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some of the current things going on with the set up I have its a small 30 gallon lagoon about 2ftx1.5ftx12in

Flow: low just using a return pump for flow at the moment
LIghting: Kessil a360we approximetly at 40%
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrates: 5-15ppm
Phosphates: 1ppm
Temperature: 79 F
DKh: 7.1
PH: 7
Calcium: 400 PPM

Will be feeding reef roids with poly lab to trigger feeding response. Will also be doing weekly water changes since I dont have a sump in these set up.
I have a 29 gallon biocube with similar parameters, but find things more comfy at 76 degrees! You should post some pics of your corals! I got those pretty zoas from @Joshua Warne and @The Aquatic Arsenal they’re both amazing sellers. I have also been doing weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) 5 gallon water changes. I feed poly lab reef roids mixed in either phytoplankton, plain tank water, or reef fuel, depending on what I need to dose that day :)

OP
OP
Reef Genetics

Reef Genetics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear good reviews from people that sell corals on here! Currently in the process of obtaining a few more zoas dont have much corals at the moment. But will definetly be posting any new corals I get . Also working up on setting up a main display tank back home this is just a temporary tank since I work far from home but still want to be able to keep on reefing. Just wondering what salt are you using? I was debating between blue coral pro salt and fritz but ended up with fritz lol. Will see how it does with zoas

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear good reviews from people that sell corals on here! Currently in the process of obtaining a few more zoas dont have much corals at the moment. But will definetly be posting any new corals I get . Also working up on setting up a main display tank back home this is just a temporary tank since I work far from home but still want to be able to keep on reefing. Just wondering what salt are you using? I was debating between blue coral pro salt and fritz but ended up with fritz lol. Will see how it does with zoas
I use instant ocean reef crystals and it’s fairly stable! I have no issues with fluctuating parameters, especially since I’ve made the switch to RO water. Over feeding was my biggest contributor to high nitrates and phosphates, but I’ve cut back a little and purchased an awesome Aquamaxx HOB protein skimmer.

OP
OP
Reef Genetics

Reef Genetics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard great reviews of instant ocean I might have to give it a try next! Im kinda in the same boat right now with the feeding and nitrates working on getting a HOB for this set up as well to help keep nitrates low and be able to feed the zoas more.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard great reviews of instant ocean I might have to give it a try next! Im kinda in the same boat right now with the feeding and nitrates working on getting a HOB for this set up as well to help keep nitrates low and be able to feed the zoas more.
I used to do direct feeding, but I feel like the closing response was more defensive than accepting of the food, plus they “pooped” a lot. They were expelling their zooanthalle. I find that broadcast feeding is more gentle and feeds my entire tank. I just make sure to let my solution soak long enough to ensure that the powder is dissolved by the liquids. My feeding is typically half a teaspoon of reefroids, 5ml reef fuel, 10ml phyto, and as much tank water as I feel necessary to dilute it. I turn my flow off for 45 minutes to let them eat.

OP
OP
Reef Genetics

Reef Genetics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do direct feeding, but I feel like the closing response was more defensive than accepting of the food, plus they “pooped” a lot. They were expelling their zooanthalle. I find that broadcast feeding is more gentle and feeds my entire tank. I just make sure to let my solution soak long enough to ensure that the powder is dissolved by the liquids. My feeding is typically half a teaspoon of reefroids, 5ml reef fuel, 10ml phyto, and as much tank water as I feel necessary to dilute it. I turn my flow off for 45 minutes to let them eat.
You make a good point on direct and broadcast feeding I have seen that sometimes when direct feeding they do tend to close up more defensively opposed to broadcadt feeding. Im sure your Can't wait to get more zoas to see how they all do in this grow tank.

Back