Zoa not growing

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've had a Rasta zoanthid frag with 1 polyp for about 3 months now, for some reason it just won't grow new polyps, all the other zoas on the same rock look great and have been growing like crazy.
All parameters are good, and there are no real algae problems in the tank. Is there anything I can do to help it grow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys, I've had a Rasta zoanthid frag with 1 polyp for about 3 months now, for some reason it just won't grow new polyps, all the other zoas on the same rock look great and have been growing like crazy.
All parameters are good, and there are no real algae problems in the tank. Is there anything I can do to help it grow?
Assure :
Moderate light and water flow
Iodide added to water periodically
Feed 2-3x per week
Phosphate/nitrate not elevated

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my rastas on a frag rack on the side of my tank under probably 175 PAR with moderate flow. I've had them for just over two months and the polyps have more than doubled. (I started with two small polyps and now have 4 and another little baby polyp.) I recently started the reef moonshiners method so I've been dosing daily amounts of various elements, one of them being Seachem Iodide. I believe that has helped with the growth and health of all of my zoas. As far as feeding, I don't currently target feed my corals but I broadcast feed Oyster Feast, ROE, and phyto pretty regularly.

The other thing to keep in mind is that in my experience starting with a single polyp is usually slow going at first. You'll usually get quicker growth starting with multiple polyps. Once you get that second or third polyp, I think you'll see the growth rate pick up quite a bit.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just leave it to adjust and develop on its own, you will be trying to sell these on reef2reef when it explodes in growth

OP
OP
SaltySam09

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the reply’s! Do you think Red Sea reef energy+ would be helpful? Also I’m going to start dosing phyto so would this be over kill for a 32 gallon?

OP
OP
SaltySam09

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the reply’s! Do you think Red Sea reef energy+ would be helpful? Also I’m going to start dosing phyto

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose reef energy and find it helpful, I don’t see a problem why you can’t dose reef energy unless your nitrates are already high

CanadianReeferGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zoas are spreading but not getting very large. They look nice and healthy but not very large. I’m not sure what I should do to make them get larger? My other coral look great and are doing very well. My coralline is coming in really nicely for a tank that’s only been up and running for 7 months.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back