agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this zoa in my tank for about 2 or so weeks. Got it as a test coral to see where my tank is at and see if I would be ready for more. However the zoa went square and has stayed this way for a little over a week. Am I doing something wrong? Feed it every other day lights were blue all the time for a while now I have them at 70-80% white and the rest blue. Lights are x2 nicrew 100W (not the sexiest lights but they worked for 2 expensive carpet nems for the previous owner, with other corals too.).

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does "went square" mean? Can you post a picture?

Most zoas do well with higher phosphate and nitrate levels. Keep phosphate at least .03 and nitrate 5ppm.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

sorry forgot

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does ‘went square’ mean? We need more info. What are your parameters? How old is your tank and how big is it? Do you use RODI water? What kind of rock did you use? Two 100watt LEDs at 70-80% intensity could be way too much light for a small/shallow tank (but there are a few variables here to consider). Also pics (under white light) of your tank and what you’re talking about would be helpful.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

sorry forgot
That is not a zoanthid, that is a Palythoa (P. grandis I believe). Having them fold in a little bit isn’t unusual, but need more info to help you trouble shoot. Also, there is no reason to feed them every other day, don’t even need to feed them every other week, you’re just adding excess nutrients to your water.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be checking water parameters tomorrow.
How old is your tank and how big is it? 2 months old and 150 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump.
Do you use RODI water? Yes and I have been getting 0 TDS(from hard well water which is not in the tank)
What kind of rock did you use? I used rock that had come with this turn key set up from a local reefer who had the tank running about 4 years with this rock.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a zoanthid, that is a Palythoa (P. grandis I believe). Having them fold in a little bit isn’t unusual, but need more info to help you trouble shoot. Also, there is no reason to feed them every other day, don’t even need to feed them every other week, you’re just adding excess nutrients to your water.
Lol yeah I thought the guy who sold me it didn’t really know what he was talking about but honestly I don’t know much so I expected that LFS to know their stuff

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a P. grandis, though it did look like one in those first photos. Something in the "we're not sure if this is a zoa or a paly" group. Maybe an Alien Antivenom morph? Doesn't matter for much. The important bit is: some of these corals are toxic. Handle them with tweezers or gloves, don't boil them, and don't touch them and then rub your eye. If you frag them, safety goggles may be a good idea in case they squirt water at you. For that matter, don't touch your rockwork without gloves, it can be sharp and may carry some nasty bacteria.

It's likely trying to retreat from the light. I would place it much lower in the tank, maybe on the sandbed.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a P. grandis, though it did look like one in those first photos. Something in the "we're not sure if this is a zoa or a paly" group. Maybe an Alien Antivenom morph? Doesn't matter for much. The important bit is: some of these corals are toxic. Handle them with tweezers or gloves, don't boil them, and don't touch them and then rub your eye. If you frag them, safety goggles may be a good idea in case they squirt water at you. For that matter, don't touch your rockwork without gloves, it can be sharp and may carry some nasty bacteria.

It's likely trying to retreat from the light. I would place it much lower in the tank, maybe on the sandbed.
Yeah, seeing the second and third photos, and the scale, it isn’t a P. grandis. I would agree that it’s likely the lighting (though parameters would be helpful).

Back