Zoas and feather duster

Luke B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Zoa frag in my nano that was thriving until a couple weeks ago. Noticed the colour became dull and they weren’t opening as full as normal. Been away for a week and when I got back yesterday they we’re really not looking in good condition. I noticed a feather duster worm or 2 on the zoas. Could this be the cause for the issues theyve had and if so how do I remove it?
my other zoa frag is right next to this one and is still doing really well. The feather duster is all I can think of that could be causing the issue.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard for me to beleive that a feather duster is bothering it, feather dusters are harmless. Usually I try to leave unhappy corals alone for months before deciding to move them.

I would suggest to try to get a pic of the feather duster so that people can ID it for you, and also a pic of the zoa's so that people might have idea's of whats happening.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
could be a nutrient issue. zoa's are generally very hardy but do sometimes "melt".

OP
OP
L

Luke B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard for me to beleive that a feather duster is bothering it, feather dusters are harmless. Usually I try to leave unhappy corals alone for months before deciding to move them.

I would suggest to try to get a pic of the feather duster so that people can ID it for you, and also a pic of the zoa's so that people might have idea's of whats happening.
Thanks I’ll try get one in the morning

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely not an issue with the feather duster. This zoa colony used to have one feather duster smack in the middle and now i've just noticed two. This colony has doubled in size since. I only see the small feather duster when the zoa polyps are slightly closed so not very often are they seen.
I think it's a captain hook zoa but could be wrong if anyone can correct me.
captain hook zoa.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back