Zoas just not growing.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an eagles eye for months. Four polyps. No new ones. I got a couple new zoas about two weeks ago, and while they seem ok, I don’t see any new growth. While I’m sure they are still acclimating to my setup, I wonder if it’s just that the eagles eye doesn’t grow well or something with my system? I’ll edit the post with the rest of my params but here’s the basic setup.

40 gallon breeder
15 gallon sump
Current USA orbit marine light,24”(the zoas are right under it and all open nicely save one)
Ammo-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph-8.2
Ca-400
Alk-12
Mg-( test kits out of date so dunno how accurate but I’ll test and share)
Temp-78-82

I can raise the calcium but alk seems high. All tested with api test kits.

I do still have hair algae issues, even though the water used is from my RODI unit, and my tap is close to RO as it is. The tds of my tap is around 8. I’ve noticed that the palythoa has no hair algae growing on it but there’s some growing between some of the zoa polyps. Could this be my issue? If so how can I get the hair algae off the zoas?

Thanks in advance for listening to my rambling lol.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an eagles eye for months. Four polyps. No new ones. I got a couple new zoas about two weeks ago, and while they seem ok, I don’t see any new growth. While I’m sure they are still acclimating to my setup, I wonder if it’s just that the eagles eye doesn’t grow well or something with my system? I’ll edit the post with the rest of my params but here’s the basic setup.

40 gallon breeder
15 gallon sump
Current USA orbit marine light,24”(the zoas are right under it and all open nicely save one)
Ammo-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph-8.2
Ca-400
Alk-12
Mg-( test kits out of date so dunno how accurate but I’ll test and share)
Temp-78-82

I can raise the calcium but alk seems high. All tested with api test kits.

I do still have hair algae issues, even though the water used is from my RODI unit, and my tap is close to RO as it is. The tds of my tap is around 8. I’ve noticed that the palythoa has no hair algae growing on it but there’s some growing between some of the zoa polyps. Could this be my issue? If so how can I get the hair algae off the zoas?

Thanks in advance for listening to my rambling lol.
As long as they're opening up I wouldn't be to concerned. It's when they close up and don't open that you should be alarmed. I would do a series of water changes to bring alk down a little around 8 t 9, however I don't believe that is your issue. What percentages do you have your Orbit set to and is it the Pro or the Standard?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics-
588EEDB1-835E-4C32-BE40-05FB369C8D8E.jpeg

This one does open more, but it’s recovering from me plucking algae from the rocks close by.

018CE8EB-FD2B-4DCB-9E41-ABC9EB4AF7F6.jpeg

The Paly doesn’t really mind too much when the crabs are close. Opens right back when they move.

14A92705-A6B2-4330-B25C-F04C4FC17887.jpeg

This is the eagles eye. Hair algae all around; usually more open but I’ve been messing in the tank. You can easily see the algae between the polyps.

7E52EE87-0C71-4F50-A41A-0274D40AF18C.jpeg

This one only opens a few heads, has since I’ve gotten it. Seems happier since it’s on its own rock directly under the light with the powerhead quite close.

D92E3CA5-EB31-4ED3-820E-3151656C0C5F.jpeg

This one is just two polyps. Both open but one looks to be shrinking.

Ignore the colors, the lights not quite on the actinic setting right now. I couldn’t share pics if it was. At night the colors all look great while the blue is on and white is off.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water? and if so I know you said the TDS of your tap was 8, do you know what the TDS of your unit is?

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they're opening up I wouldn't be to concerned. It's when they close up and don't open that you should be alarmed. I would do a series of water changes to bring alk down a little around 8 t 9, however I don't believe that is your issue. What percentages do you have your Orbit set to and is it the Pro or the Standard?

It’s the standard. I have it on the preset,
SL-1 which is from 8am to 6pm both channels 100%

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water? and if so I know you said the TDS of your tap was 8, do you know what the TDS of your unit is?
I don’t, a neighbor tested his tap. Mine should be zero or close as the rodi unit is new, I’ve had it about a month and a half.

Before I used this I was getting the distilled water from Walmart and before that the purified drinking which is RO. Once I added the distilled the hair algae exploded. I’ve been fighting it ever since.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t, a neighbor tested his tap. Mine should be zero or close as the rodi unit is new, I’ve had it about a month and a half.

Before I used this I was getting the distilled water from Walmart and before that the purified drinking which is RO. Once I added the distilled the hair algae exploded. I’ve been fighting it ever since.
Possible there is something in the water they don't like. Try doing a series of small water changes with your new RO/DI unit, and see if that helps. Once the excess nutrients are out of there your hair algae should subside as well :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! I’m hoping it goes away soon, it’s annoying. Think the hair algae could be irritating them though?
It's possible. I had a colony of pink panthers that wern't opening up because of some hair algae inbetween them. Now that that's gone they're wide open and beautiful :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO.
It looks like a young tank. I think the alk is high compared to the zoa gods I know.
The nutrients are also low in comparison.
Def try spot feeding the zoas. I kinda laughed at the pimply faced kid on you tube. Darned if he wasn’t right about it though.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some hair algae bothering a little colony I have. I gave it a peroxide dip and all the algae was gone the next day. 50/50 peroxide and clean salt water for about ten minutes. Just gotta make sure the polyps all close before you put em in.
I will definitely give this a shot here tomorrow. I’ve some peroxide laying around and have to mix some sw for my land hermits so it’ll be the perfect opportunity to do both.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrate isnt the best environment for zoas. I would raise it a bit. my blue leg hermit crabs ate all my green hair algae.
My blue legs comb it and talk smack about the clowns. I’ve been overfeeding in the hoes of raising it but with such little stock and the hair algae it jut doesn’t rise. Could be the calurpa longefolia I have in the sump too, you think? Maybe if I pull it it’ll raise a hair?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
As pointed out above working in some feedings will probably go a long way to fostering growth. Reef Roids, PE Calanus, freeze dried cyclop-eeze and juice from Rod's Food (or similar) will help. Its also been my experience (having moved twice in the last 3 years) that it takes a system a few months to get to the 'sweet spot' for zoas. You want water with some dissolved organics for zoas but not so much that you're fostering nuisance algae growth.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As pointed out above working in some feedings will probably go a long way to fostering growth. Reef Roids, PE Calanus, freeze dried cyclop-eeze and juice from Rod's Food (or similar) will help. Its also been my experience (having moved twice in the last 3 years) that it takes a system a few months to get to the 'sweet spot' for zoas. You want water with some dissolved organics for zoas but not so much that you're fostering nuisance algae growth.
i agree with this..it's definitely a balancing act. at first i thought Acros are easier than this!! because they are so sensitive and close to every little thing that bothers them... i had zoas close for 2 months!!! and finally open up... a lot of it is just acclimation time.. it reminds me of when i first got GSP and it was closed for a week! when now the polyps are out and i don't worry when it's in b ecause i know it will come out eventually
when it feels like it...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back