Zoas shrinking / disappearing!!!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The zoa colony on the right has been slowly decreasing in numbers since January, when I moved my tank. Before, this particular colony went from just a few polyps to 80+ in just six months. Now, as my other zoas continue to grow, this colony just gets smaller. I did notice asterinias in my tank a couple months back and tried to banish the ones I could to the sump...I know there are still some in the dt, I just never see them. I would think if it were asterinas eating my zoas, it wouldn't just be one particular colony! Then again, maybe they're super-delicious. Any other ideas what the problem could be, besides asterinas?

20210407_160207.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoa colony on the right has been slowly decreasing in numbers since January, when I moved my tank. Before, this particular colony went from just a few polyps to 80+ in just six months. Now, as my other zoas continue to grow, this colony just gets smaller. I did notice asterinias in my tank a couple months back and tried to banish the ones I could to the sump...I know there are still some in the dt, I just never see them. I would think if it were asterinas eating my zoas, it wouldn't just be one particular colony! Then again, maybe they're super-delicious. Any other ideas what the problem could be, besides asterinas?

20210407_160207.jpg
What kind of fish, inverts do you have?

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
got any pics from when you first got it?
These are the best I have. But they were full, fast growing...now there's mostly just nubs left. Can't decide if they're self-disentigrating or being eaten.

Attachments

• 20200910_163003.jpg
    20200910_163003.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210408_165243.jpg
    20210408_165243.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 75

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
early on I lost a lot of zoas to a nudi infestation.
after lights out look for them.
if you find any, use a turkey baster to remove them.

do you have a sump? if so are you using any marinepure or brightwell ceramics?

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yeah I have overkill amount of marine pure... really been considering switching to pond matrix but I'm worried about losing denitrifying capabilities. I haven't done a icp yet.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any others those that may have introduced a pest? It looks like they’re growing on a huge rock but it may be a good idea to try and dip them if it’s possible

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you added any others those that may have introduced a pest? It looks like they’re growing on a huge rock but it may be a good idea to try and dip them if it’s possible
Unfortunately I wasn't so careful with my first few additions of coral and in the process introduced asterinas, micro brittles, hydroids, and God knows what else! Honestly I don't really like the way these zoas look in my tank so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they all disappeared! But the reality is if something is munching on this colony, they will probably move along to the next when these are gone...so maybe I need to save these to save the others.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing them can also be parameters or lighting related.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Looks like I'm going to be doing some late night tank watching this weekend!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you cut a few off, put them on rocks/ frag plugs and put them lower down? Good idea whether it turns out to be the light or not

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you cut a few off, put them on rocks/ frag plugs and put them lower down? Good idea whether it turns out to be the light or not
U know, I could just rip the old plug off the rock and move it. Its an eyesore anyways! So just cut the tissue with a razor, try not to cut directly through any polyps? I've yet to frag any zoas. I'm aware of the safety concerns.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can easily remove the plug, yes, do that. Cut between the zoas, preferably only the mat that connects them, not the zoas themselves

But is the plug the part on the upper right, so the healthy looking ones? I wouldn't touch those, try for some of the ones that are already isolated

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back