Zombie tank, can it be saved

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clown loves the Duncan, not sure the coral feels the same in return
Trust me you’d know. My 2 idiot clowns have used duncans, Gonis, Frogspawn, and torches. And an anemone or two briefly. That Duncan still looks happy.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres
IMG_6071.jpeg
IMG_6253.jpeg
my idiots

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone able to explain phosphate levels to me in a simple way. Currently my tank is reading .01. I assume it has to be ok since I had all that hair algae I just removed. Should I try to raise phosphate to the typically suggested .03? Or leave it alone since things seem to be growing ok? I’m sure the corals would love a shot of reef roids since they haven’t been target fed in forever.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my lights today. Also cleaned all the salt spray off the reflectors. Excited to fire them up tomorrow. Also scored a deal from a local reefer on a bubble tip. Couldn’t pass up the deal even though I was trying not to add anything.
IMG_1657.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another day of scrubbing and removing aiptasia. Got the visible numbers down to the hundreds rather than the thousands I was at. Fish seem happy and corals seem happy. I‘ve been pulling small sections of the sand bed out and blasting them with fresh water…it’s crazy how much gunk is in a sand bed. @brandon429 you are right, there is no way vacuuming can get it all.

Its kind of a weird feeling seeing the tank now, it looks pretty good again, but it used to be so much better. I know if I remain diligent I can get it back to its former self. It’s kind of like going to the gym. Things were going good and your getting into shape, and then you stop going for whatever reason…two years later you start to wonder how good of shape you could have been in if you just kept at it.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my lights today. Also cleaned all the salt spray off the reflectors. Excited to fire them up tomorrow. Also scored a deal from a local reefer on a bubble tip. Couldn’t pass up the deal even though I was trying not to add anything.
IMG_1657.jpeg
Lights look great!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I really agree all this is exactly like reef dentistry and reef exercise it directly sure is

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some day an author will use those analogies in an article/ they scraped it from here if so he he

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Rock Flower spawn. That’s 2 in the last few days. If there is a female what’s the likelihood of this resulting in a new batch. I’ve never seen this before, so I’m not sure if this is a first or if this is a regular thing I just missed.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks pretty good. Some coral that had looked just terrible are starting to show the tiniest bit of color peaking out. I’m also getting the itch to add some new colors. I did add the two shrimp and 5 astrea snails. They all appear to be doing ok, so I think I might be good to go.

I set a goal to remove at least 5 aiptasia a day. Pretty easy with how many are still just hanging out on the sand bed.

I did resort to scrubbing a few areas within the tank as there were just so many anemones. There was no way other than soaking to rock in fresh water.

I pulled a huge base rock out as it was completely covered and filled in every crevice.

Here you can see it in the bottom right. It’s so white
IMG_1668.jpeg

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks pretty good. Some coral that had looked just terrible are starting to show the tiniest bit of color peaking out. I’m also getting the itch to add some new colors. I did add the two shrimp and 5 astrea snails. They all appear to be doing ok, so I think I might be good to go.

I set a goal to remove at least 5 aiptasia a day. Pretty easy with how many are still just hanging out on the sand bed.

I did resort to scrubbing a few areas within the tank as there were just so many anemones. There was no way other than soaking to rock in fresh water.

I pulled a huge base rock out as it was completely covered and filled in every crevice.

Here you can see it in the bottom right. It’s so white
IMG_1668.jpeg
It’s looking great! I’m cheering you on!

calhoun3186

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to add other than glad to hear your daughter is doing better. Hope more things return to normal for you and your family.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking fantastic. No personal experience but I’ve heard of a few people on here getting baby rock flowers to live without issue

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun to watch the improvement, keep it up!

I’m curious as to your method of removing the aiptasia?
For the back glass I just scraped all the algae they were sitting on, and those came off nice an easy like a pile of slime. Some of the rocks that were massively infested I just pulled and replaced. For rocks that had coral and anemones, I basically just started scrubbing with a tooth brush. And for the small frag rocks I pull those and scrub outside the tank in a small bucket of salt water. And this collection from this morning these guys are just hiding in the sand bed. I gently flick them over with a baster to get them to loosen up on some of the sand and then just suck em up. I still have miles to go before this infestation is cleared up, and I have no idea how much future damage I caused by scaping them off. I guess that's a problem for tomorrow :anxious-face-with-sweat:. I also have a couple peppermints, but who knows what if anything those guys are doing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back