Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, something so extraordinary, so unusual comes along that you want to share. I have been posting pictures of this in my sps thread for a while but thought it deserved a little special attention with its own thread. The colony is robust although I find the frags to be fragile, probably has to do with fine branched sps. I have two pictures, one under white lighting (metal halides-radium 250 watt 20k and ATI Blue plus t5's--taken this month) and the second with Blue Reefbrite XHO's (blue LEDS--taken six months ago). The lighting doesn't make much difference, it is a beauty under any lighting. Yellow polyps are bright and vivid. The body color is extraordinary, the base color is orangish-pink, and as you get closer to the tips it turns into beautiful bright pink color and then the actual tips get some blue in them. I don't think I have seen anything more unusual.

Last edited:

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is amazing, his pictures are spot on the way this thing looks. Mine is on the slower side of growers but the coloration is beautiful.

Mark what are the origins of this?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I bet it's even more lovely in person. What a name. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing!

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVE IT!!!!!
Thanks
Wow! If you ever want to send a frag my way much appreciated!
I have made very few frags of this guy ever, but I will keep you in mind
This thing is amazing, his pictures are spot on the way this thing looks. Mine is on the slower side of growers but the coloration is beautiful.
Mark what are the origins of this?
Keep yours growing, I want some back up for this acro.
I got a frag from a vendor whom I believe didn't have any other frags survive.
And I bet it's even more lovely in person. What a name. :)
It is extraordinary.
All" Zs" acros are unreal
Thanks
Thank you, Rev.

A couple more pictures from today of Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper

This is a metal halide lights only picture:

This is a Reefbrite XHO only picture:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot like the pacman that I sell? Just a different name?

Boom-4412_2048x2048.jpg

Looks like originally "discovered" by Hugo, and further propagated by Tyree.
http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedmrpacmanacro.htm

If it is a different coral, they are almost identical to each other!

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little different. It doesn't get the green tips and the polyps are more yellow. Pacman also grows more like dragons. If I'm wrong, Mark can correct me but this one has different growth structure.

IMO, it's more similar to WWC little red ferrari but more pink. Mine is still on the smaller size so only time will tell for a better opinion from me.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Boom-4412_2048x2048.jpg

Definitely similar looking. Wouldn't be surprised if they were the same, just morphed a bit differently.

Seems most corals that I see are the same, just a slight change from coral to coral. To me, orange passion and Walt Disney look pretty similar.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a little different. It doesn't get the green tips and the polyps are more yellow. Pacman also grows more like dragons. If I'm wrong, Mark can correct me but this one has different growth structure.

IMO, it's more similar to WWC little red ferrari but more pink. Mine is still on the smaller size so only time will tell for a better opinion from me.

Definitely similar looking. Wouldn't be surprised if they were the same, just morphed a bit differently.

Seems most corals that I see are the same, just a slight change from coral to coral. To me, orange passion and Walt Disney look pretty similar.

It’s always nice to get input but it’s not a “dragon”at all. The differences include the branch size--this is much thicker, and certainly the coral structure of this is very different, and finally these polyps are larger and longer. But I understand and appreciate how it could be confused. Plus I find the color unusual, orange to pink/orange. I have the WWW Red Ferrari and I think the Red Ferrari branch size, thickness as much more needle like. I like both the Red Ferrari and the Boom picture of the pacman.

I obviously failed to capture the structure and shape adequately of Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper in the photos. I am quite surprised that anyone would think of it as either a dragon or pacman. Which is okay, it just means I get to take a few more pictures so it is better represented. I rarely take through the front glass pictures because I have a bow front tank and that leads to fuzzy, blurry pictures because of the glass distortion but maybe this picture will add some clarity.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it's looking a lot like the TCK King Acro.

Edit- Wanted to add that I am in no way trying to take away from this coral, or trying to imply that it is more common. It's a very nice acro!

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks quite a bit different from the TCK king acro. Shape is off and the polyps are definitely a different color. This one looks great with the contrasting pink with the yellow polyps.

Gonna have to stop by one of these days when I'm down south and take a look at your tank (and possibly a frag of this piece), Mark.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good, if we don't ask we might not find out! :D

It’s always nice to get input but it’s not a “dragon”at all. The differences include the branch size--this is much thicker, and certainly the coral structure of this is very different, and finally these polyps are larger and longer. But I understand and appreciate how it could be confused. Plus I find the color unusual, orange to pink/orange. I have the WWW Red Ferrari and I think the Red Ferrari branch size, thickness as much more needle like. I like both the Red Ferrari and the Boom picture of the pacman.

I obviously failed to capture the structure and shape adequately of Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper in the photos. I am quite surprised that anyone would think of it as either a dragon or pacman. Which is okay, it just means I get to take a few more pictures so it is better represented. I rarely take through the front glass pictures because I have a bow front tank and that leads to fuzzy, blurry pictures because of the glass distortion but maybe this picture will add some clarity.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back