00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trochus snails / they can upright themselves and are great cleaners. And hermit crabs and Nasarius. I also have two tuxedo urchins that lawnmower through the tank eating algae! I did, however, buy very little ones since most of my corals are small frags. If they do get ahold of something, I just gently lift off with tweezers. Worth the effort!

As you saw in my post last week, I just got a Diamond Goby. My tank is also new - 5 months, but it had enough detritus and GHA clumps in sand to keep him fed. I also have a very healthy population of copepods, but that’s not his diet I believe. He actually devours everything I feed the fish! He jumps right in front of wrasse and grabs a mysis. And he has already cleaned my entire sandbed!
I've got 2 trochus and they do a good job but I've never seen them on the sand; always on either the rocks or glass.

Maybe I could try to find a smaller urchin. With the diamond goby part of my concern is tank size as well. My display footprint is only 24"x16" and my sand bed is 1-1.5" deep.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 trochus and they do a good job but I've never seen them on the sand; always on either the rocks or glass.

Maybe I could try to find a smaller urchin. With the diamond goby part of my concern is tank size as well. My display footprint is only 24"x16" and my sand bed is 1-1.5" deep.
Oh, so no on goby for size. If you need sand help, it’s the hermit crabs and the nasarius for sure. Sorry as you did ask specifically about sand.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, since beginning I have an issue with phosphate way too high between 0.5 to 1. The only way to reduce is something like chemi pure blue? I am doing 10% weekly water change and don't seem to have too much food waste. Also it seems magnesium depletes fast (1100 to 1200). It could be Coraline as I can see quite a bit on pink glow on rock? Or salt problem? Rest is ok temperature 77, alkalinity 8.45, ph 8.2, salinity 35, nitrate 10 and calcium 410. I dose also all for reef 15ml for 55gallon per
What snail/other do you recommend that will consume diatoms on my sand bed? I've got nassarius snails that churn the sand bed some but they don't actually eat the algae.

Been leaning towards trying a conch but don't know whether fighting or tiger is better.

I've thought about a diamond goby before but worry that there wouldn't be enough detritus to sustain him.

Also considered an urchin but am hesitant as I have nothing secured in my tank and feel like it would just knock stuff over constantly.
I have a couple tigers that are workhorses. Copepods will help as well.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on best place to order pods from?

I really like Algae Barn! They are always running deals and their Eco or Galaxy jars give a wide-range of types. I also love their Ocean Magik Phyto, priced right for regular dosing. The ONLY reason I switched this week is trying to reduce shipping costs when I can and the fact my LFS has the other brand I really liked Reef Nutrition. My LFS honors all deals I would have gotten online. Plus, I’m really trying to support them. Had they not carried RN, I would have gone with Reef Legends. You see them here on R2R and they have a contest right now!

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size container of them would you recommend for tank? I'm guessing the reef mix would be good?
For your 125 g I would probably do the gallon, ar least initially of pods and a gallon of phytoplankton to dose for them.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What snail/other do you recommend that will consume diatoms on my sand bed? I've got nassarius snails that churn the sand bed some but they don't actually eat the algae.

Been leaning towards trying a conch but don't know whether fighting or tiger is better.

I've thought about a diamond goby before but worry that there wouldn't be enough detritus to sustain him.

Also considered an urchin but am hesitant as I have nothing secured in my tank and feel like it would just knock stuff over constantly.
Ceriths, Nassarius, and Strawberry Conch. Most snails don't frequent the sand bed. Those 3 spend more time in/on the sand bed. Nassarius eat leftover food mostly and not much algae. Ceriths eat diatoms I believe.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both lol it came with the tank and isn't working and the guy said it might just need a good cleaning.
take apart carefully make sure impeller is not seized in pump before bothering to clean, pics ?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back