1 or 2 clowns

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about my clowns I’d like to add once I get my tank set up and all sorted, but I’ve been thinking, is it really necessary to add two clowns? Could I downsize my tank from 120L, 30 gallon, to something a lil smaller and only have 1 clownfish?

or would the clown not be as happy with being the only clown? If it’d be perfectly happy it’s all good, but if the clown wouldn’t be as happy I’d hate to do that to it :((

I will be adding a nem as well down the track, as well as a small shrimp and maybe a goby or something

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah
1 is fine but I have noticed that theyre not as active. Theyre much more active in pairs/harems
Ah I see. So 1 will be fine, but they tend to be on average more adventurous and active with a friend?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no idea if they are happier when in a pair or more. I can say that in my experience they certainly seem happier when more than one(behavior and activity level much better)

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clowns pair up and lay eggs that can be a very cool experience to observe. The night or two before the eggs hatch the eggs turn a silvery color, which is actually the eyes of the fishies forming. The downside is they do become even more aggressive when breeding towards any other tank mates.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If
If your clowns pair up and lay eggs that can be a very cool experience to observe. The night or two before the eggs hatch the eggs turn a silvery color, which is actually the eyes of the fishies forming. The downside is they do become even more aggressive when breeding towards any other tank mates.
If the clowns lay eggs, and say I don’t want to raise them, what do I do? I heard some people will take them into a refugium with phytoplankton to eat if they want them to grow, but people who don’t just leave the eggs in the tank, and the parents eat the fry??

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If

If the clowns lay eggs, and say I don’t want to raise them, what do I do? I heard some people will take them into a refugium with phytoplankton to eat if they want them to grow, but people who don’t just leave the eggs in the tank, and the parents eat the fry??

One word: caviar! ;) My paired Maroons laid eggs for over a decade, and their tank mates just got a bi-monthly treat. I had no desire to have a tank load of aggressive maroons to take care of, so I never attempted to rear the fry.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eggs won't survive without being moved to a separate tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are very entertaining together. I've had just one in the past years ago, and now I have 2 this time. I can say that 2 is better, they buddy up and swim together and play together in a way that no other fish does

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware that some species can be difficult to pair: Maroons, Tomatos come to mind especially. (Death can result to the weaker fish). Need to get sufficiently young specimens so that you don't have two females. Two males, ok (one will change sex). One female, one male, ok (if the female doesn't kill the male). Two females, forget it.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
Just be aware that some species can be difficult to pair: Maroons, Tomatos come to mind especially. (Death can result to the weaker fish). Need to get sufficiently young specimens so that you don't have two females. Two males, ok (one will change sex). One female, one male, ok (if the female doesn't kill the male). Two females, forget it.
Yeah, was going to get two ocellaris I think

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are very entertaining together. I've had just one in the past years ago, and now I have 2 this time. I can say that 2 is better, they buddy up and swim together and play together in a way that no other fish does
Aww okay that’s convinced me

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mated clowns also become territorial. my true percula had to be banished to a 15g because of their aggressive behavior

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have aggressive clowns, the one species I have found that they seem to just ignore are all of the tiny gobies (truly the tiny ones, not the sand sifting medium sized ones). See my build thread for examples.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have aggressive clowns, the one species I have found that they seem to just ignore are all of the tiny gobies (truly the tiny ones, not the sand sifting medium sized ones). See my build thread for examples.
Will check it out. Was thinking only a pair of mated clowns hopefully, a few gobys, and maybe a shrimp. What are they like towards shrimp?

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will check it out. Was thinking only a pair of mated clowns hopefully, a few gobys, and maybe a shrimp. What are they like towards shrimp?

I have a medium sized aggressive Fire Clown (same family as Tomatos/Cinnamons), and while she attacks and bites my hand every chance she gets, she shows no interest in the 3 tiny Sexy shrimp I have in the tank. Occasionally she will come near them, and it is hysterical to watch them violently shake their tails at the clown as if shaking their fists in defiance in some Monty Python montage.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a medium sized aggressive Fire Clown (same family as Tomatos/Cinnamons), and while she attacks and bites my hand every chance she gets, she shows no interest in the 3 tiny Sexy shrimp I have in the tank. Occasionally she will come near them, and it is hysterical to watch them violently shake their tails at the clown as if shaking their fists in defiance in some Monty Python montage.
Bahaha, the funny & interesting traits these animals possess is awesome

Gunnyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely 2!!! Clowns are very social and affectionate towards there mate. I can watch my clowns playing all day long. A single clown always appears lost to me. I don’t think ide be happy by myself in a tank. They are even better with nems!!

Back