10" Cube.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up ladies and gents !!!

I was browsing Petco the other week and seen they had rimless tanks,and they were on sale. So I picked up a 10" cube. Regular glass,no low iron.

Equipment:

Lighting: DIY led with 3 channels:
CH1-390-400,410-420,405,420-430.
CH2-4x SunPlus 445-450 Royals.
CH3- WW,Mint,Cyan,True Blue.

Filtration: This is what I am still trying to figure out: make it an AIO,sump it ( I have a 2g Deep Blue betta tank,I have tons of .5" pvc and fittings. Or just run a AC30 I have. Run carbon,filter floss. What do you guys think ?

Flow: More than likely run a SW2. If I sump it,I will use a Sicce 1.0 for a return and an SW2 for main flow with a VCA RFG.

ATO: ReefBreeders Prism ATO

Coral: ACRO'S & MONTI'S !!!!
Frag's I would LOVE to get in here:

-Red Dragon
-CE Aquaman Tenuis
-BC Magicwand Tenuis
-PC Rainbow (Convexa
-BC Wonder Dud Tenuis
-BC Pink Tip Tenuis
-WD Tenuis

I would love to cover the bottom of the tank is Monti:

-Rainbow Monti
-Superman Monti
-Mystic Sunset Monti
-Vivid's Dry Ice Monti
-Sunset Monti
-Vivid's Uranus Monti
-Vivid's Hologram Monti

20200510_001340.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure how long youre planning on running system but montis can grow moderately quick and need room to expand

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For awhile.

It shouldn't be a problem. I can frag and or use small frag tiles. Usually all I keep is pico sps tanks,so I am used to being on top of things.

I would definitely only want like 2-4 monti's in this tank seeming space is limited.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a deam of mine since I saw WWC's old main display. Since there isn't THAT MUCH space,I have to be particular with which one I pick.
Yeah. I do have a suggestion for your. application. Instead of putting them on the bare bottom you can use travertine tiles on the bottom and then just pull the tiles out and replace them as needed.
I’m doing something similar for my tank. I’ll be using marble tiles that were originally for the kitchen backsplash. I had so many extra boxes so might as well put them to use

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I do have a suggestion for your. application. Instead of putting them on the bare bottom you can use travertine tiles on the bottom and then just pull the tiles out and replace them as needed.
I’m doing something similar for my tank. I’ll be using marble tiles that were originally for the kitchen backsplash. I had so many extra boxes so might as well put them to use

I was actually thinking about that,maybe 2"-3" tiles. I have about 2"-3" behind my rocks to so I may just pusj my rpcks all the way back and gain some room.

I'm thinking of 2-3 of my most favorite Monti's and the rest will be Acan's. Acan's are my favorite coral of all time and I know I can profit off of them when the time comes.

Thank you for the suggestion.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking about that,maybe 2"-3" tiles. I have about 2"-3" behind my rocks to so I may just pusj my rpcks all the way back and gain some room.

I'm thinking of 2-3 of my most favorite Monti's and the rest will be Acan's. Acan's are my favorite coral of all time and I know I can profit off of them when the time comes.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Heck ya do it! My tiles are 6x6 but obviously they need to be cut. I think I’m just going to cut just the ones that need to be cut

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck ya do it! My tiles are 6x6 but obviously they need to be cut. I think I’m just going to cut just the ones that need to be cut

Oh wow those are huge. I think for my case 2" would be ideal. But they are cheap enough to try both sizes and cut the 3" ones down if need be.

There are a few places online I would love to get some Acan's from. Locally for me,prices have gone up SO much on Acan's even just the green ones,ordering online is much more worth it.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow those are huge. I think for my case 2" would be ideal. But they are cheap enough to try both sizes and cut the 3" ones down if need be.

There are a few places online I would love to get some Acan's from. Locally for me,prices have gone up SO much on Acan's even just the green ones,ordering online is much more worth it.
Yeah. Be careful with shipping right now. Some companies stopped the guarantied delivery times

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Be careful with shipping right now. Some companies stopped the guarantied delivery times

It won't be any time soon. I need to finish my light,procrastinate,decide if I'm going to sump the tank or not,procrastinate some more,get test kits ect ect.

I need:

-Prism ATO - $60
-Salifert Test Kits - $150
-Red Sea Blue Bucket- $28
-SW2 - $50 / OW10 - $55

If I sump the tank:

Return pump
Acrylic for baffles
My plumping is meant to be hung off the back,which is nice and hopefully it works lol.

The tank isn't going to be set up quickly either. I have life things that come first (bills,kids,life) so when I have the extra money is when I will get stuff. You know,typical adulting stuff lol.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be any time soon. I need to finish my light,procrastinate,decide if I'm going to sump the tank or not,procrastinate some more,get test kits ect ect.

I need:

-Prism ATO - $60
-Salifert Test Kits - $150
-Red Sea Blue Bucket- $28
-SW2 - $50 / OW10 - $55

If I sump the tank:

Return pump
Acrylic for baffles
My plumping is meant to be hung off the back,which is nice and hopefully it works lol.

The tank isn't going to be set up quickly either. I have life things that come first (bills,kids,life) so when I have the extra money is when I will get stuff. You know,typical adulting stuff lol.
Yeah I feel you. My 40b keeps getting pushed back. Full time high school junior, flight school and I’m starting my first semester of college too so it’s hard to keep money coming in lol

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel you. My 40b keeps getting pushed back. Full time high school junior, flight school and I’m starting my first semester of college too so it’s hard to keep money coming in lol

That is definitely the challenge. Shoot I had problem jugging 2 females at once in HS ;Nailbiting . I have a 1.5yr old a 1 month old,my wife isn't working due to Covid-19 so I put money into the tank when I get extra funds. Thankfully CC's give me a little wiggle room if I REALLY need to use it on tank stuff.

If we get a 2nd stimulas check,needless to say the tank will have everything it needs then :cool:

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely the challenge. Shoot I had problem jugging 2 females at once in HS ;Nailbiting . I have a 1.5yr old a 1 month old,my wife isn't working due to Covid-19 so I put money into the tank when I get extra funds. Thankfully CC's give me a little wiggle room if I REALLY need to use it on tank stuff.

If we get a 2nd stimulas check,needless to say the tank will have everything it needs then :cool:
Man if I worked my old job a month sooner last year I would be getting the stimulus checks

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the last of my leds from Steves jn today and WOW this is the happiest I have been with my own array. I do have 1 violet out I need to figure out or switch.

Full array:
20200520_180614.jpg
Violets only:
20200520_180531.jpg
Royals only :
20200520_180438.jpg
Whites only:
20200520_180522.jpg
All leds:
20200520_180421.jpg

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys,

If I decided to sump this tank,do you think 1/2" would be suffice ? I have basically everything I would need for 1/2" so that would be sweet.

I want to say I read somewhere that 1/2" would be okay up to 400gph IF I remember correctly.

I would get a internal acrylic overflow box for $25 and hide the OF and the return inside that,and hang the OF and return over the back and secure them some way.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys,

If I decided to sump this tank,do you think 1/2" would be suffice ? I have basically everything I would need for 1/2" so that would be sweet.

I want to say I read somewhere that 1/2" would be okay up to 400gph IF I remember correctly.

I would get a internal acrylic overflow box for $25 and hide the OF and the return inside that,and hang the OF and return over the back and secure them some way.
1/2” would be just fine!

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so,I mean while I was in HD getting things and thats ehen I had read the 400gph lol so thank goodness. I just need 2 check valves for reassurance oh and I need a few,maybe like 4 unions too
1/2” would be just fine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I just went to one of my local stores,and man they have some super nice Acro's ranging from $20-$40. No small boogers at least 3/4"-2" frags. So many different Tenuis it had me drooling lol.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and took advantage of the Memorial Day sales and got a :

5 pack of ChemiPure Blue Nano
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
Salifert Calc,Mag,Phos Test Kits and
BWA Quick Cycle to get things going.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back