10 Gallon Mixed Reef

tyleraoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all just wanted to post up photos of my Dorm tank.
Just moved in yesterday to CSU Monterrey Bay and set it up.

Nuvo 10 tank
mp10 pump
kessil a 80
plan on running a doser, reef glass skimmer as well as a kessil 150

Hoping to move into SPS soon

IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long has it been set up? i would think the single kessil is fine but i see you have it set in a funky way. anyway to get it over the center of the tank?

OP
OP
tyleraoc

tyleraoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was just set up yesterday so things aren't looking the happiest. Yea i'm trying to get super high lighting to eventually have an acro dominated tank. @count krunk

OP
OP
tyleraoc

tyleraoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added sand and the kessil.
trying to put in the reef glass protein skimmer but its creating a bunch of micro bubbles that are going into the display. Zip tied a small filter pad to the bottom to minimize.

looking to get some refrigerated food for the tank but not sure what to get. Was looking at Reef Nutrition's food and like oyster feast but not sure yet. Any recommendations?

IMG_1859.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG

WindyCityReefer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! Glad I am not the only college student with a reef :) You will find that the tank will be a nice break/distraction from a busy course load (and good conversation starter with other students!).

As for food, it will depend on who you are trying to feed - fish, coral or both? I personally love LRS and Rod's frozen foods. They both seem to initiate a crazy feeding response not only from fish, but also coral.

Just a heads up - make sure that the tank is out of sight of intoxicated friends or friends of friends. I have read of situations where people will try and get the fish "drunk" by pouring alcoholic drinks into the tank.. Mixed drinks/beer + fish tank = nuked tank.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
very nice set up, only set up for a couple weeks? looks like you already have a nice sized wwc bounce in there.

has your tank already cycled? or you just throwing a bounce in there and hope it survives? lol corals lookin healthy tho

OP
OP
tyleraoc

tyleraoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WindyCityReefer. thanks for heads up!! I'm using a lot of pellets but I notice its adding to much nutrient's to the tank. Hopefully gonna move to some sort of feast from Reef Nutrition because I don't have a freezer

OP
OP
tyleraoc

tyleraoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bacc2bacc I cycled the rock for 3 weeks and ive had all these corals for a long time and they have been through a lot so I know my bounce can handle. I also didn't want to lose my baby. Only problem is I lost my big bubble on the bounce but a lot more are growing so no problem.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
@bacc2bacc I cycled the rock for 3 weeks and ive had all these corals for a long time and they have been through a lot so I know my bounce can handle. I also didn't want to lose my baby. Only problem is I lost my big bubble on the bounce but a lot more are growing so no problem.

the bounce looks good! what are you running in the back chambers?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the micro bubbles from the skimmer go away - they often do after a week or two once the skimmer is broken in when new or after a thorough cleaning. Regarding the best food for your tank, may Chad from @Reef Nutrition will jump into this thread with a recommendation. Good luck in school and with this tank!

OP
OP
tyleraoc

tyleraoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bacc2bacc my protein skimmer and that's about it i'm going to put some filter media this weekend and some carbon because it seems like the tank is doing a mini cycle

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for tagging me, @Peace River. It was great to meet you at MACNA!

@tyleraoc Thanks for mentioning our products. Oyster-Feast is by far our best overall product for the animals in your tank. I see that you are at CSU Monterey. I live in Santa Cruz. We have a store that carries us in Santa Cruz - License to Krill Aquatics, but they are closing in a month. You can call them to see if they can hold a bottle for you. Or you can buy direct from us and get FedEx Ground shipping (which is basically next day) since we are in the Bay area. https://reefnutrition.com/product_oyster_feast.php

I also recommend you feed our TDO Chroma BOOST to your fish and corals. Here is a link for that product: https://reefnutrition.com/product_tdo_chroma_boost.php. It's great to have a good dry food for auto-feeding on vacations and weekends. :)

If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

Best,
Chad

Last edited:
OP
OP
tyleraoc

tyleraoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looking a little dirty, going through a little cycle. Going up to San Jose this weekend for the coral farmers market.

IMG_2332.JPG IMG_2329.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back