100 gal stock question

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 100 gal cube with a 17 gal sump. I recently stopped running chemi pure as I believe it was stripping my phos/nit levels to 0. Since removing they have at least been detectable phosphate .25 nit is between 5 and 10. Im wondering if I should or could add more fish. Currently I have a pair of clowns, a purple fire fish, Tomeni tang, coral Beauty, pair of benghai cardinals and a war paint goby. I'd like to keep my skimmer running full time and right now I'm taking it offline at night and just running a little longer then lights on. Just curious if anyone thinks I still have space for more fish or if I should increase feeding. Currently they get pellets in the morning and frozen at night. Occasionally a second round of pellets mid day on the weekend.

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank fish only? If so, your levels are acceptable and you can try adding more fish. If you are also keeping (LPS/SPS) coral, though, I'd want to get the phosphate levels down asap.

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok time for a new phos test kit then. .25 is the lowest it reads. I was happy just to see color after I removed the chemi pure. I'm running a sps Dom tank.

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, they are not in danger from your current level of phosphates. It just inhibits their growth. But presumably you want them to grow, yes? :)

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Not looking for an ultra low level tank and the Cyno headache that can bring. Seeing as most my frags are a month old been happy just seeing PE and them starting to encrust. My green slimmer is probably the oldest sps in the tank and was encrusting till I knocked it down doing a water change. I did it again 2 days ago and changed its position to avoid in the future. It's not happy atm. Growth is what I'm looking for as I've mostly given the frags lots of space to grow into.

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, they are not in danger from your current level of phosphates. It just inhibits their growth. But presumably you want them to grow, yes? :)
Without saying it, I bought a gfo reactor tonight just because of this. My wallet hates you (ok brs reactor so not that much) but ill feel better knowing I'm doing what I can to make my little sticks happier and grow better. I think to often newbies like me forget these are animals not plants and treat with a to much throw away attitude about it. Don't get me wrong proud omnivore here but we should strive to take the best care of our pets possible. Got the duel reactor so no more bags of carbon in the sump let's see if my tank looks even better next month.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's probably room for some smaller fish. Really, you can add as much as you want as long as there aren't issues with water quality or compatibility among the fishes.

What fish are you looking at?

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red scooter blenie maybe an Anthea. Nothing to crazy. Was thinking about a file fish but I think I found the last of the aptasia this weekend hideing out in a little nook at the back of my rock work. I seem to find one about once a month so I'm hopeing that one was the one I kept missing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back