OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, the Stien museum in Bay area, have new video,on propagation of corals, still using mh. May want to have provision set, in case need mh. For new tanks. Just talking.
Yes I've seen that video. Great stuff. Really wish we had the time to do some similar experiments. I've followed Jamie Craggs work in the U.K. the last years, breeding a couple of Acropora species and urchins all the way.
But I don't think it's necessary with metal halides to do it. J. Craggs uses Radion LED I think.
I have to admit that I like metal halides better than LED for coral tanks. But I'll have to let them go when we rebuild:)

/ David

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day vacation

IMG_20180628_081955.jpg

Celebrating 3-0

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Lasse, 30 years married? How she put up with you all those years. Bet you were something else, when younger.

If I met your wife, I would tell her, "don't you want to trade him in. Like trading in an old car." You know what she would say?
"I can't do that, I have him well train now. I would have to start all over again. No can't do that." Heehee good one. No?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - it was 3-0 yesterday:) You forget? :) I have lived together with my wife since 1972 and been married for 41 years :). Now we can take a beer 08:00 (local time) saying that is probably Happy Hours in New Zeeland :)

Different worlds - certainly

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you!!

We're about to continue north, maybe we'll reach Fjällbacka archipelago this evening.

IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5764.JPG
Absolutely beautiful! Is there much in the way of wildlife, like whales, to see sailing there?

And those aren't exactly pristine white sand, isn't it uncomfortable for the Swedish Bikini Team members to lay out on those beaches? :p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful! Is there much in the way of wildlife, like whales, to see sailing there?

And those aren't exactly pristine white sand, isn't it uncomfortable for the Swedish Bikini Team members to lay out on those beaches? :p

Very rarely a whale is spotted in Swedish waters, killer whales maybe a couple of times a year. But we have beautiful rocky island, and a lot of them. Beaches is in the south of Sweden, and Denmark (just sand everywhere..) ;)
Wildlife is not like say US west coast.. But you can see seals and fish for mackerel :)

Here some more:
https://www.google.se/amp/s/relay.n...2014/08/07/best-of-the-west-sweden-by-the-sea

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet back at work, so no news about the reef tanks. But we did sail over our Swedish reef yesterday! (No Acropora reef, but the stony coral Lophelia pertusa)
IMG_5788.PNG

Korallrev(Swedish) = coral reef (English)

And this is me excited:
IMG_5819.JPG

(It's a deep water reef, I didn't see any corals)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the Maritime museum & Aquarium celebrates its 85 birthday! The building that we are in now opened 14 of July 1933. Got this photo from our Facebook page, the Swedish king Gustav V is the tall guy in the middle:)
IMG_5844.JPG

The Aquarium first started 1923 during the 300 year jubilee of the city of Gothenburg but moved into the museum building 1933. So the Aquarium is 95 years this year :)

Updates on the reef tanks will come next week when I'm back from my vacation.

/ David

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here comes some more :)

IMG_3847.JPG
Snapseed.jpeg
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_20170814_150031.jpg
IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3855.JPG

Following. Did not intend to comment until I read the last page of the thread, but when I saw the diver in a wet suit framed against viewing window, I had to comment.

As a Marine Engineer, I enjoy the technical part of this hobby. My recent interest in biochemistry is best summarized with a conversation that I had with Randy Homes Farley. His answer to my question opened my eyes to the complexity of Dynamic Equilibrium when he said with respect to biochemistry, “We sent a :an to the moon 50 years ago, yet we can not cure Cancer today”. The first time I meet Martin Moe at a MACNA conference, he said it this way about the hobby, “Reefkeeping is not rocket science, it is more complicated”.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm just going to say this as nice as I can. No matter how pretty your scleronephthya photos will be, they will wither slowly. With time. Our little secret, I know a friend of a friend. They have a non-profit organization for scleronephthya . It's called Kaplan foundation for the scleronephthya. I hear their very loving organization for scleronephthya and dendronephthya. So when your ready, just pm me and I'll provide you with all their info. Just say swoof. That's yes in Swedish. New word I learned. It more a sound than pronounced. Just say swoof, when your ready .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at work after three weeks vacation. No disasters what I can see(I got great colleagues :)).
The 10000L reef tank looks okey, a large Seriatopora colony has fallen and one of the large Tunze masterstream hasn't been able to fix. So not the best circulation and a 1 meter coral colony that's upside down. That gives me something to do this week :)

A FTS (not cleaned the window). The colony of Seriatopora is down to the right.
IMG_5865.JPG

Looked through the last ICP test from Triton lab and in this tank we got all greens!! First time ever for me :D So that made my day. Will attach the PDF for proof.

The Scleronephthya are looking okey in the frag tank. Pretty much the same as three weeks ago. Hard to say if they have grown or shrieked. I could see the polyps on four of five this morning, so they are filtering.

IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back