10gal mix tank- filter?

ceruleanspiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What filtration would work for a 10gal with plans for mostly inverts, a few soft corals, and maybe 2 fish? I was thinking I mostly need rock, surface agitation, something to snag loose particles or detritus/food bits, and flow.

I was looking at this skimmer/filter thing, would it work? I could put 2-layer filter floss and maybe a small mesh with Rowaphos or Purigen if needed. I will also have a 1056GPH powerhead available once I upgrade my larger tank. Would I need anything else?

Lights of course, but searching for lights has a lot more hits than filters, lol. Same with lids. If we get a goby, we'll need a lid.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What filtration would work for a 10gal with plans for mostly inverts, a few soft corals, and maybe 2 fish? I was thinking I mostly need rock, surface agitation, something to snag loose particles or detritus/food bits, and flow.

I was looking at this skimmer/filter thing, would it work? I could put 2-layer filter floss and maybe a small mesh with Rowaphos or Purigen if needed. I will also have a 1056GPH powerhead available once I upgrade my larger tank. Would I need anything else?

Lights of course, but searching for lights has a lot more hits than filters, lol. Same with lids. If we get a goby, we'll need a lid.
Don’t get that thing. Get the biggest hangon back you can fit. Aquaclear are good if I recall correctly. You want a big one not only for turnover but to hold media. Use filterfloss and seachem matrix. Change filter floss every 2-3 days. Get 10-15lbs of live rock. Don’t worry about a powerhead for now. For a light I’d grab a kessil A80 with a gooseneck, AI prime’s are great too but more expensive.

OP
OP
ceruleanspiral

ceruleanspiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get that thing. Get the biggest hangon back you can fit. Aquaclear are good if I recall correctly. You want a big one not only for turnover but to hold media. Use filterfloss and seachem matrix. Change filter floss every 2-3 days. Get 10-15lbs of live rock. Don’t worry about a powerhead for now. For a light I’d grab a kessil A80 with a gooseneck, AI prime’s are great too but more expensive.
Why biggest, if the bio filtration is in the rocks?

I now have Seachem Matrix saved to my list.

I was looking at the A80s for light already, so that is good. I am going to MACNA at the end of the month, figured I'd look around there, see if there were any good deals.

Also for you or anyone else- does this external refugium look useful?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back