110 Gallon Safari Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by ETBReefer05, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05 Active Member

Hey gang,
    Been quite a while. I had a 75 that I was setting up, and that went south due to life happening haha.

Here's the stuff you guys are interested in:
    I will be setting up a 110 gallon 48x18.5x30 mixed reef in our study. Our study is going to have a Safari theme and this tank will represent the Reefs of Africa extending from the Red Sea to Madagascar (Hopefully some Red Sea fish will go in). The tank is a Marineland with black silicone and 1/4" glass (she's a beast to haul). First project will be re-painting the stand. I picked up the tank used and the stand is pretty beat up, its the classic black look. After that I will be wiring a 20A receptacle in the study to prepare for the electrical load.

This will be slow and steady as funds come in for equipment. My Goal is to be cycling by January! I will not give up this time!

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looks like a good winter product

ETBReefer05 likes this.
  3. ETBReefer05

Decided to order the 16" Synergy Reef Flow overflow and it came today! Unboxing video below, feel free to ask any questions!

4. ETBReefer05

Got the tank drilled and overflow installed yesterday.

IMG_0862.JPG
    First hole took about 90 minutes-2 hours and felt more comfortable on the second which took an hour. These clean edges are worth the time.

IMG_0863.JPG
    The Weir on these overflows have zero clearance removal, which means I only left about 1/16" from the trim to the top of the inner box, looks very clean.

IMG_0864.JPG
    Will be plumbing for Bean Animal style drain pipes tomorrow and will adapt to a PVC flex tubing to go into the sump. After the cement dries and cures, I'll move the tank and stand into place.

Vincent100 likes this.
  5. Clayton Jessup

Clayton Jessup Well-Known Member

Looks very nice , I love my Synergy ghost overflow on my 75g .. liking the 110g build , looking forward to your progress, keep up the great work;)

ETBReefer05 likes this.
  6. ETBReefer05

Thanks! Getting more and more excited as it progresses!

7. DancingShark

DancingShark Well-Known Member

What you need is a very, very good rodi unit.

8. ETBReefer05

Will be setting up a 75gpd 4 Stage RO/DI, then possibly adding a second DI canister after testing TDS

9. DancingShark

DancingShark Well-Known Member

Was the water thing blown out of proportion by the media like they always do?

10. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Purple tang ... Golden semilarvatus butterfly ... African exquisite fairy wrasse . . . . This could be a fun project!

I'll admit to some curiosity as to how you wind up aquascaping this tank - very tall, but not very deep can present a challenge. Looking at that clean overflow install, I've got a feeling you're up to it!

~Bruce

ETBReefer05 likes this.
  11. ETBReefer05

Haha I didn’t realize my profile still said Flint! I can assure you the problem was slightly under covered by the media and the lead/legionella issue is still happening in Flint. I moved out of Flint in 2011 and this summer moved to the suburbs of Detroit sorry I didn’t get the joke!

12. ETBReefer05

The beautiful thing is that this very forum has one of the best threads on aquascaping you can find. I am actually going to visit the Detroit institute of arts to look at some paintings and photography where the mountains or sky take up most of the painting. I will also reference some of the structures I saw earlier this fall when I visited pictured rocks national lakeshore. The pillars and arches there give me a good basic understanding of sea scapes and I want to do everything I can extend the aquascape high enough to get PAR for my planned SPS while still avoiding a solid wall of rock or just a giant pile. Definitely going to use dry rock so a mock-up of my aquascape can assure I do a good job

Maritimer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted