110 Gallon Safari Reef

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,
Been quite a while. I had a 75 that I was setting up, and that went south due to life happening haha.

Here's the stuff you guys are interested in:
I will be setting up a 110 gallon 48x18.5x30 mixed reef in our study. Our study is going to have a Safari theme and this tank will represent the Reefs of Africa extending from the Red Sea to Madagascar (Hopefully some Red Sea fish will go in). The tank is a Marineland with black silicone and 1/4" glass (she's a beast to haul). First project will be re-painting the stand. I picked up the tank used and the stand is pretty beat up, its the classic black look. After that I will be wiring a 20A receptacle in the study to prepare for the electrical load.

This will be slow and steady as funds come in for equipment. My Goal is to be cycling by January! I will not give up this time!

oUNWy0V.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good winter product

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to order the 16" Synergy Reef Flow overflow and it came today! Unboxing video below, feel free to ask any questions!

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank drilled and overflow installed yesterday.

IMG_0862.JPG
First hole took about 90 minutes-2 hours and felt more comfortable on the second which took an hour. These clean edges are worth the time.

IMG_0863.JPG
The Weir on these overflows have zero clearance removal, which means I only left about 1/16" from the trim to the top of the inner box, looks very clean.

IMG_0864.JPG
Will be plumbing for Bean Animal style drain pipes tomorrow and will adapt to a PVC flex tubing to go into the sump. After the cement dries and cures, I'll move the tank and stand into place.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the water thing blown out of proportion by the media like they always do?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tang ... Golden semilarvatus butterfly ... African exquisite fairy wrasse . . . . This could be a fun project!

I'll admit to some curiosity as to how you wind up aquascaping this tank - very tall, but not very deep can present a challenge. Looking at that clean overflow install, I've got a feeling you're up to it!

~Bruce

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the water thing blown out of proportion by the media like they always do?

Haha I didn’t realize my profile still said Flint! I can assure you the problem was slightly under covered by the media and the lead/legionella issue is still happening in Flint. I moved out of Flint in 2011 and this summer moved to the suburbs of Detroit [emoji23] sorry I didn’t get the joke!

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tang ... Golden semilarvatus butterfly ... African exquisite fairy wrasse . . . . This could be a fun project!

I'll admit to some curiosity as to how you wind up aquascaping this tank - very tall, but not very deep can present a challenge. Looking at that clean overflow install, I've got a feeling you're up to it!

~Bruce

The beautiful thing is that this very forum has one of the best threads on aquascaping you can find. I am actually going to visit the Detroit institute of arts to look at some paintings and photography where the mountains or sky take up most of the painting. I will also reference some of the structures I saw earlier this fall when I visited pictured rocks national lakeshore. The pillars and arches there give me a good basic understanding of sea scapes and I want to do everything I can extend the aquascape high enough to get PAR for my planned SPS while still avoiding a solid wall of rock or just a giant pile. Definitely going to use dry rock so a mock-up of my aquascape can assure I do a good job [emoji16]

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. My brother stayed with me over Thanksgiving and we got the tank and stand in place. Installed a 20amp GFCI circuit and wall plug and will be purchasing a skimmer and return pump hopefully before New Years (we’ll see what “Santa” brings!)
83861339c36baaa096ce7f9018a80b60.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Excited to see it up and running :)

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing fits like it was grown in place.

Awesome!

~Bruce

Thanks! My thoughts exactly, I measured that closet four or five times. When I picked up the tank my Fiancée and Father in Law thought there was no way. I told them it would fit AND I could get an overflow box behind it too. Showed them [emoji16]

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Excited to see it up and running :)

Thanks! Me too! I am still hoping to get water in it by January but I had a minor setback as none of the Marineland LED fixtures that came with the tank work. I think it’s the power cords. If I can find some stop gap to start cycling the tank just to have a photo period I will, but then I’m going with the Kessil A700 and the Aquatic life hybrid t5 unit or two A360s and the hybrid T5 once tax returns come in. Watching BRS investigates gave me real world proof that this will provide coral growth for a mixed reef in a 30 inch deep tank

OP
OP
ETBReefer05

ETBReefer05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, sorry for the long delay without an update. Been dealing with some other pets health issues and then the holidays hit. Just wanted to give an update. I have been researching the Triton method of reef keeping and will be going that route. Right off its going to raise the build cost with the specific sump I'm looking at (TS-34 by @SynergyReef), which is $100 cheaper than the Filter Sock style I was looking at. Due to the stand size on this tank, there's no room for the 40 breeder style sump I'd like to make custom, so, I'm going to trust one of the best in the biz. The $100 lower sump cost, however will be quickly eaten up by the $50-$60 in Triton dosing elements to start the system, the $50 IEP test to initiate and the $150 needed to set up dosing. I am still debating on lighting and have sent some requests to manufacturers. I am looking to go all LED and may supplement them later with the Aquatic Life t5 hybrid or DIY my own hybrid T5. If anyone has some honest opinions on LEDs over a 30 inch deep tank, I'd love to hear an argument for the Hydra 26 vs Hydra 52 in particular. However, I'm still open to any "premium" brand (Ecotech, Kessil, Giesmann..etc.)

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on making it fit. T5 Hybrid are nice, and Im happy with my ReefBreeder Photon V2. Good lights

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good already! Following!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back