120g Ammonia wont go down

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hii Josh

Do you have some picuteres of the test devices and readings?
Do you have some pictures of your setup?
Was the sand alive or dry?
Was the rock alive or dry?

It think also that 50lb of stones are a little less for a 120g.

Hope you can fix this soon.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first blush, it would appear that you are a bit light on the live rock. Even so, live rock has different densities and filtration capacities and nutrient reduction timelines as a result. Valid questions to consider, as long as your test kit is accurate: What form and type of rock did you start with? Also, your test kit may be reading relatively safe ammonium but I have no idea. You might want to bring this up in Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley section of the forum. I'm sure that Randy will be able to help.

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its an api saltater master test kit and the reading is so green its blue lol I'm seriously scared I just have a toxic tank of water that would even harm myself lol

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this is applicable for saltwater, but during my freshwater days people used to say that too high of ammonia can stall a cycle. I don’t have scientific data to back it up. It was all anecdotal experiences, FYI. A water change and a bottle of bacteria may help to lower the ammonia enough to kick start that cycle again. But it sounds like that may not be an option.

I have also heard that using ammo-lock (or prime) to detox ammonia can affect ammonia test readings since it doesn’t actually remove ammonia. Just changed is chemical composition to make it non toxic.

What have you added to initially raise the ammonia? If your still adding stuff, time to stop.

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 120ml of nutrafin cycle then a week later used 250ml and its been 3 weeks since and no change , and I used ammo lock 2 weeks ago and no change ,, my lfs said since I used ammo lock its most likely ammonium which is the less toxic verson ,, theyre gonna have salt Friday so I'm gonna get some then

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it, but where does your water come from? Tap, well, RO/DI, LFS? Have you tested the source for Ammonia?

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I used too much ammo-lock would that just sit unactivated in my tank until ammonia rose up and now its converting it all to ammonium and that's why I have blue ??

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say do another water change once you have the salt water available. Don't use ammo lock again for now, test with the new water and re evaluate.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this is applicable for saltwater, but during my freshwater days people used to say that too high of ammonia can stall a cycle. I don’t have scientific data to back it up. It was all anecdotal experiences, FYI. A water change and a bottle of bacteria may help to lower the ammonia enough to kick start that cycle again. But it sounds like that may not be an option.

I have also heard that using ammo-lock (or prime) to detox ammonia can affect ammonia test readings since it doesn’t actually remove ammonia. Just changed is chemical composition to make it non toxic.

What have you added to initially raise the ammonia? If your still adding stuff, time to stop.
+1 it has always been my understanding that too high of an ammonia level will stall your cycle.

2 ppm is plenty. I believe above 4 is where things start to slow or stall altogether

Joey Merrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My api kit always reads ammonia through the roof, while my red sea reads it much lower. I don' trust the api kits at all.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five weeks is not very long. Live rock, live sand. Give everything a good blow while doing a 50% water change. Some Dr Tim’s. Time. Ammonia kills fish. Bacteria counts will get there. It always does

tr3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a dumb question but what kind of top off water? Have you tested it? I once bought bought water from a LFS that I "trusted" and they almost made me quite the hobby because I couldnt keep my parameters in line. I finally realized what was happening thank you R2R and bought my own RODI unit. I have not had the problem since.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How 'live' was the live rock? If it was out of water for very long (hours/days) then a lot of things could have died off - and now are decaying. In my first tank I brought home 'damp' live rock - out of the LFS tank, into a cooler, 3 hour drive and into my tank. Massive ammonia spike after that.
I'd suggest as large a water change as you can manage. Get clean water in there and dose beneficial bacteria again. Dr. Tim's, BioSpira, any good product.

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to get salt today , gonna preform a 20% PWC ,and leave it alone for a bit, I know where the spike came from now -.- ,, I used enough beneficial bacteria for 1000 gallons of water :s that was my mistake on that one ,, thank you to everyone who helped me out

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back