120g Ammonia wont go down

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a new aquarium autothrops need time to install, they do not grow that fast. At least 2 weeks to install a basic carying capacity. based on the ammonia introduced .Till then only a very limited ammount of heterothrops are installed to handle the organics. Introducing live rock will start up heterothropic gr0wth and mineralisation , ammonia is produced but if a lot of rock is introduced it will take two to four weeks before the autothrops can follow the heterotropic growth and mineralisation which includes ammonia production and reduction, As most organic carbon wille become inorganic during mineralisation heterotropic growth will be limited, not able to take up all ammonia produced, Introducing organic carbon may help to bring the ammonia level below the critical value but first of all I would remove most live rock immediately and leave only one peace untill the ammonia is controlled, Hopefully it is not to late for the fish. A level this high may also limit bactererial growth and inhibit nitrification, Change water after removal of most of the live rock if you want to try save the fish.

Last edited:

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my first tank I brought home 'damp' live rock -.
I had the same issue.... my "live rock" was out of the water for about 24 hours and I was assured by the store it would be fine.
My ammonia was off the chart for almost two weeks. I added multiple BB products during that time... Tims, Spira, Seed & Fosters and Smith house brand. Nothing helped. I started doing massive water changes..... in excess of 80%. it took 3 or 4 water changes before ammonia dropped enough for the cycle to start.
Once the cycle started, everything went text book.

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrites are sky high atm and my ammonia is readable between 5ppm and 8ppm so its getting there ,, and what should I used ,, vinegar , vodka , or sugar ?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't really need to add anything. The bacteria in a bottle is a nice jump start usually but not essential. If you get down to zero ammonia and still zero nitrite then you might try dosing ammonia to 2ppm - I only trust the stuff from Dr. Tim's - just to be sure it disappears again within 24 hours and still no nitrite spike. Then I'd call it safe for some HARDY fish.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do an 50-80% water change and then add some food and maybe a bit of bacteria starter and leave it be for about a week. Also add some circulation...what kinda pumps are you using? HOB filter? Sump? You need to get the live bacteria nice and happy in colony to jump start your aquarium and complete the cycle. Stay away from Ammo-lock for now. If I try anything for elevated Nitrate and Amonia its PRIME. Works well and have saved many a tank!

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do an 50-80% water change and then add some food and maybe a bit of bacteria starter and leave it be for about a week. Also add some circulation...what kinda pumps are you using? HOB filter? Sump? You need to get the live bacteria nice and happy in colony to jump start your aquarium and complete the cycle. Stay away from Ammo-lock for now. If I try anything for elevated Nitrate and Amonia its PRIME. Works well and have saved many a tank!
1 hydor korilla 850ghp and a marineland maxi jet 900 in circulation mode doing 1000gph ,, also 2 hob rated for 50 g each 1 fluval f4 rated for 80g and a fluval 405 canister,, no sump

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a new aquarium autothrops need time to install, they do not grow that fast. At least 2 weeks to install a basic carying capacity. based on the ammonia introduced .Till then only a very limited ammount of heterothrops are installed to handle the organics. Introducing live rock will start up heterothropic gr0wth and mineralisation , ammonia is produced but if a lot of rock is introduced it will take two to four weeks before the autothrops can follow the heterotropic growth and mineralisation which includes ammonia production and reduction, As most organic carbon wille become inorganic during mineralisation heterotropic growth will be limited, not able to take up all ammonia produced, Introducing organic carbon may help to bring the ammonia level below the critical value but first of all I would remove most live rock immediately and leave only one peace untill the ammonia is controlled, Hopefully it is not to late for the fish. A level this high may also limit bactererial growth and inhibit nitrification, Change water after removal of most of the live rock if you want to try save the fish.
if you read the whole post you will see my tank has been up for 5 weeks , please read the whole post and responses before commenting useless info

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back