120g Ammonia wont go down

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So surrently my tank is sitting at a ph of 8.0 and ammonia of 8ppm + ,,,, nitrites are high and nitrate about 10ppm ,I have adequate filtration and used ammo-lock , its been at this state for 5 weeks and wont change :/

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Josh,

How long has the tank been set up? Inhabitants? Live rock or dead? Did you already go through the initial cycle or is this still part of it?

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey its been up for about 5 weeks ,, has about 50lbs of live rock and 50lbs of sand and I'm guessing thihs is part of the cycle but the ammonia wont go down at all since day 1 but the nitrite has raised and same with nitrate, so I really don't understand ,, I used ammo lock and that did nothing

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, do you have any fish in there? Have you used a bottle of good bacteria like Dr Tims yet? It sounds like you just don't have good nitrifying bacteria built up yet. Have you tried putting some food in there, letting it break down and helping with the cycle?

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have used actually 370ml of it ,,, and still nothing ,, and yes I have a few weeks ago and still no change ,, and no there isn't ,, but they have to go in there soon , so I need ammonia gone like yesterday lol ,, I'm soo stuck here ,, ive been in saltwater for about a year now so I'm pretty new to it

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd test your test kit or try another 1st. Sounds like a bad test kit to me but I could be wrong too...

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that water has not had anything in it, it should be OK to try. If there has been any thing in it, it could have ammonia in it as well.

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because they aren't happy in my 10g lol a DF puffer and firegoby chromis and bicolor blenny lol my 45g crashed and my other tank only has old saltwater so it gotta do something fast before the puffer eats em so he has more space lol

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against putting them in the tank if there is ammonia in it. They will not survive. Could put some eggcrate in the 10 gal to separate them temporarily.

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the 10G holding tank for your fish for ammonia. Compare results to main tank that's showing high ammonia

OP
OP
joshbridges

joshbridges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I don't but I'm gonna purchase one and its not the test kit , my other ones fine ,, the ammonia is off the chart its almost blue **** ,, I'm so confused

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back