125gal reef setup ideas

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok would a glass holes overflow the 1500gph to a 55 gal sump were the drains would go through there own filter sock then i would hove wy suction line for the skimmer external pump plumbed over the side and i would add a baffled off are 14inch long and 13inch high area ( 1-12 1/2L by 13inch H pane of glass ) were ther would be a fuge with 5 inch DSB and claurpa and cheato. i would like to plumb the skimmer drain to fill this area intell if overflows back to the sumpwitch would be about 33'' L and 12''W(the remaing area of the 55 lol) i would say about half full. with a heater and a mag 12 return with a sea swirl on the oposite side from the overflow. i will be ordering 50lbs marco dry rock unless i can get cheaper dry rock from my LFS and picking up around 20-30 pounds cured live rock for the main tank and a 3'' sand bed for the main tank. Lighting 3x250watt MH 20k 4x24 watt T5HO 24inch in a retro hanging canopy. this will be a mixed reef with sps at the top, some monti's, assorted zoa's and palys at the bottom and som acan's and micro's and chalice's to fill in the open areas, and i will be getting a suncoral for the main cave of the aqauscape. the only livestock ive desided on is a pistal shrimp and watchman goby( might have to add 5 inch sand bed to DT tank as well) and 2 clowns unsure what type, a six line wrass, a firefish goby, and a powder blue tang, and maybe a couple others im sure a blenny or 2 and of corse a good clean up crew of course. this tank will not be filled untill all equipment and rock and plumbing is done it will go through a cycle im sure with alot of dry rock so i will wait a little while befor any sps frags are added but i will try to use alot of my old water but i will have to leave some because i plan on just moving my current 75 into another room lol i dont want to get rid of the lion. any suggestions would be great it will be a little while but i will take pics as the equipment gathers and things start to get put together and if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know too much about the plumming side of things but Just wanted to say congrats on the new tank, and good luck with the set up. Ofcourse there will need to be a pic posted as soon as it gets in place. And I know where you can get a nice suncoral frag if you are interested?

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i should be getting the tank either sunday or sometime next week so not so exiting yet but i wanted to start a thred with my plan for it i will post pic by pic build thread. and will start as soon as we bring it inside the house lol just trying to get some thoughts from everyone.

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was bringing in a 125 I prolly wouldn't sleep all weekend! BTW, I saw a guy said he was your uncle at Donny's the other day. He was lookin for turtle food cause his little daughter caught a turtle in the back yard or somethin. He hung out for a minute and then continued his search elseware I guess. Seriously tho, if you don't have a sun coral, the one I got at the frag swap is gonna be up for sale or trade soon, so if you might want it let me know. It eats like crazy and will even feed during the day if you put some mysis in the water for him to smell. I just have neither the time or the patience for him.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a deep sand bed is a BAD idea or a display as it can cause a tank crash! u cant keep a DSB clean in a display i would not do 3 inches but more of 1 inch or less

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will the watchmen goby be able to build a tunnel of some sort i realy like thos guys lol and the tank will be here sunday im excited time to start building and planing the plumbing out a little better

Big D

Master of my Domain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW... I'd really need a pic of the plumbing to figure out what you've got in mind. As far as the glass holes overflow, it's a good choice. I plan on puting their Dart overflow on my 300gal when I get it. There's many options when it comes to sump design. A lot will depend on skimmer size (in sump or external), fuge size, desired return chamber capacity, etc. I will say this, you want the return chamber (chamber that the return pump sits in) as big as possible so it doesn't get too low as water evaporates off. I've had 2 different styled sumps under my 180 so far (one of them was a 55gal), both had their pros and cons. Here's a link to my thread on our local forums, it's got them both pictured... might help you out.

Link <<----

Oh yeah, here's my thoughts on the T5 retro's... my tank has been all T5's since the day I started it up a year and a half ago, I'd definately recommend IceCap 660 retro's. I changed my tank over to IceCaps about a year into it and couldn't believe the difference! :eek: My wife even said the tank looked a lot better, and she usually won't even look at the tank. :rolleyes:

D

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its an external skimmer and i have an upside down u tube made of pvc pulling water and a drain pipe returning to the sump from the gate vavle. its plumbed through a wall ( no room in stand and i wanted to just add on piec of glass to one side of the 55 i have sitting around so i could add a DSB there and some macro algea and have the water supplied to this area from the return of the skimmer and it would just overflow back into the main sump area no baffles just the intak for external pump heater and filter socks lol

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hadnt but i just want enough for the goby and shrimp and honestly i like the look but dont want allot of issues lol tommy what do you think so far on the plan and do you think that my idea will work for my refug?

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have to see it to say for sure, i think the dsb issue is for people that dont have anything stirring up their sand some, i dont think its a problem if you keep sand stirrers in there.

Back