13.5 evo build

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my duetto, it's a game changer. I got tired of dumping 1/2-1g a day into my bigger tank.

That is a close second with the JBJ since it includes a cover to protect the sensor. My third option is buying a CoralVue Hydros with their ATO and leak sensor.

I feel like these new methods (electronic) are more prone to failure since my old tanks (ran for 5 years shutdown 8 now) used a tom aqua lift with old school floats. I never had an issue, but my float is just way too big for the evo.

I am curious if anyone runs something like this for redundancy?

I would feel a little better with that and the single point of failure Tunze or JBJ. Just not sure if that would work out in the 3rd chamber.

You mentioned the duetto and a larger tank. So, it sounds like that is not on the 13.5?

Last edited:
OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a close second with the JBJ since it includes a cover to protect the sensor. My third option is buying a CoralVue Hydros with their ATO and leak sensor.

I feel like these new methods (electronic) are more prone to failure since my old tanks (ran for 5 years shutdown 8 now) used a tom aqua lift with old school floats. I never had an issue, but my float is just way too big for the evo.

I would feel a little better with that and the single point of failure Tunze or JBJ. Just not sure if that would work out in the 3rd chamber.

You mentioned the duetto and a larger tank. So, it sounds like that is not on the 13.5?

Im not sure but so far so good tank has been topped off all day and no continuous running

In the instructions it does advise you to check the auto off periodically

but like i said so far so good

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use it on my 20g now. A few years ago I had a 120 with no ato and it turned me off of sw. I waited and started right this time, slow and steady building how I wanted.

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on my intank media basket should be here tomorrow! =]

So i took a ride to the LFS to get the filter media for it and since my water parameters have been stable i picked up one more zoanthid frag and my first blasto!! =]

got a little worried the blasto would be to soon but little guy looks happy

next up i want a frogspawn and a hammer but my LFS dont have any so i might try an online purchase just need to wait for when i can be home ( work schedule sucks right now)

image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the intank media basket :)
Its installed didnt want to take a pic of the tank cause i did a little water change and stirred it up hopefully it will clear up soon cant wait to see it crystal clear
1769B131-5908-4C1B-9559-B8FCF5DFCF45.jpeg

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! EVO 13.5 is my favorite. I use the same media basket. I would advise you not to overstuff the middle compartment.
It looks like you have a carbon sack and a black filter pad underneath?

I'd scrap the pad so not to inhibit flow. I use one 5.5 oz sack of Chemi-pure in there. No more. Keep the floss at the top and the bio rings where they are. You will be happy. Good luck.

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes carbon and chemi pure elite
Two stacks of carbon
Didnt have time to get those carbon cubes yet going to get some this weekend and take out some of those bio things

anything better then chemi pure elitle for nitrate and phosphate control?

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! EVO 13.5 is my favorite. I use the same media basket. I would advise you not to overstuff the middle compartment.
It looks like you have a carbon sack and a black filter pad underneath?

I'd scrap the pad so not to inhibit flow. I use one 5.5 oz sack of Chemi-pure in there. No more. Keep the floss at the top and the bio rings where they are. You will be happy. Good luck.
Ok will do its just two sheets of carbon filter and the chemipure think thats too much?

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my personal thought. I would put the 5.5oz sack of Chemi-pure Blue or Chemi- pure Elite. Nothing else in that middle compartment.

Flow is everything in a nano.

Plus, the most important upgrade I did, and I think many will agree, is to replace the Fluval pump with the Sicce 0.5 silent. Thats a perfect match.

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my personal thought. I would put the 5.5oz sack of Chemi-pure Blue or Chemi- pure Elite. Nothing else in that middle compartment.

Plus, the most important upgrade I did, and I think many will agree, is to replace the Fluval pump with the Sicce 0.5 silent. Thats a perfect match.
Thats going to be my next upgrade doing things weekly=]

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tagging along in this thread since I just put my intank chamber 1 and 2 last night. I wanted to give it a few days before adding in the Sicce 0.5, but I have concerns over flow since things are already a little slower.

I went with pad, chemi-pure elite 6.5, pad, and then the bio that came with the Evo. I plan on buying some seachem matrix in a few weeks.

Then on the 2nd chamber, pad on the bottom, and chem-pure (I see it's not blue) 1/2 container @ 5oz. Looks like I might want to switch over to blue or is BRS ROX 0.8 better?

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along in this thread since I just put my intank chamber 1 and 2 last night. I wanted to give it a few days before adding in the Sicce 0.5, but I have concerns over flow since things are already a little slower.

I went with pad, chemi-pure elite 6.5, pad, and then the bio that came with the Evo. I plan on buying some seachem matrix in a few weeks.

Then on the 2nd chamber, pad on the bottom, and chem-pure (I see it's not blue) 1/2 container @ 5oz. Looks like I might want to switch over to blue or is BRS ROX 0.8 better?
Sicce 1 seems better i think it would be a little over 20x gph tank movent where the .5 would be under that at about 15x gph

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 1 seems better i think it would be a little over 20x gph tank movent where the .5 would be under that at about 15x gph

I was torn myself between the 0.5 and 1.0, but I picked up the 0.5 used (only saved $7) with my inTank purchase. Also, it seemed like many users (here) reported that they dialed back the 1.0 to 50% and felt it was similar to a full blown 0.5.

Anyway, since I was already purchasing stuff from the person I also picked up the random flow generator nozzle as well, but after looking it seems like the 0.5 is really on the low end. That said, if my chamber is already running low I would imagine the 0.5 or 1.0 is going to make things worse.

Before I got fish I was running a Aqueon Circulation Pump 500 GPH to add flow and it was great for what I had - xenia, shrooms, zoa, and two monti. Then some inverts - shrimp, snails, hermits. The tiny clowns cannot tolerate the flow of the Aqueon.

I just started playing with using the Aqueon during the day for 5 minutes every 2 hours to clean up the crud since the flow was way to little. This is controlled with a Kasa HS300.

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was torn myself between the 0.5 and 1.0, but I picked up the 0.5 used (only saved $7) with my inTank purchase. Also, it seemed like many users (here) reported that they dialed back the 1.0 to 50% and felt it was similar to a full blown 0.5.

Anyway, since I was already purchasing stuff from the person I also picked up the random flow generator nozzle as well, but after looking it seems like the 0.5 is really on the low end. That said, if my chamber is already running low I would imagine the 0.5 or 1.0 is going to make things worse.

Before I got fish I was running a Aqueon Circulation Pump 500 GPH to add flow and it was great for what I had - xenia, shrooms, zoa, and two monti. Then some inverts - shrimp, snails, hermits. The tiny clowns cannot tolerate the flow of the Aqueon.

I just started playing with using the Aqueon during the day for 5 minutes every 2 hours to clean up the crud since the flow was way to little. This is controlled with a Kasa HS300.
I hear you things always can be changed try the .5 and see how it does

in theory running a 1 at half speed shouldnt put as much stress on the equipment rather than a .5 full blast(but like i said “in theory” sometimes just doesn’t work like you would think)

just experiment and have fun=]

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seachem Matrix is a great choice. I have a liter of it in an onion bag in my second chamber. It is the only thing in that chamber and his works perfectly for me for a year-and-a-half.

I don't know much about other forms of carbon. I am however a huge fan of Boyd's chemi pure. I have tried the blue and the elite and had great results with both. That being said I would limit it to the 5.5 Oz or 6 oz sac in the Middle of the first chamber.

I would also caution that people who say that the Sicce 0.5 silent is too small are probably overstuffed in there filter area which limits the flow getting to the pump.

Overstuffing your Chambers will work against you.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don't forget to plug the hole can you chamber two in the false wall. It will change the amount of flow coming into the first chamber

OP
OP
lazy josh

lazy josh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don't forget to plug the hole can you chamber two in the false wall. It will change the amount of flow coming into the first chamber
Yes sir the plug came with the media basket

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back