14G BioCube - Stripped Bare

BillFragnormous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first coral tank just over a month ago (Feb 19th).
I completely gutted a 14G Biocube that I had collecting dust in my storage shed that was previously used for dwarf seahorses (and that sadly was an epic fail). I removed all the back area which housed the filtration system. Removed the hood/lighting and made it rimless.

I used rock, live sand and water from my 4 y/o 60G FOWLR to get up and running quickly.

Equipment:
Sm. SunSun HW-603B 3 stage Canister Filter ($31.52 Amazon) - Using supplied filters along with Phosguard, Matrix, & Charcoal media.
Odyssa Surface Skimmer ($13.95 Amazon)
12" Aquaneat Full Spectrum LED Light ($19.99 Amazon)
18" Marineland LED Strip Light ($36.98 Amazon) - had in storage
1 SunSun JVP-110 528-GPH Wavemaker Pump (4pack @ Amazon $19.79)

Livestock:
Various Button Polyps (not sure of the specific names/types)
Hammer Euphyllia
3 sm Kenya Trees (hitchhikers)
single Mushroom coral (Not sure what specific type)
Yellow Gorgonian
Red Gorgonian
Blastomussa Merletti (3 polyps)
Green Mandarin Goby
4 red legged hermits
4 Astraea Turbo Snails
So far so good :) Everything seems to be going well and all the corals look happy.

Coral004.jpg

Coral003.jpg

Coral002.jpg

Coral001.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got an 8 gallon bio cube. I'd love some info on what you have found successful. My tank is empty and I have a heater and 1 piece of dead coral for decor. No water or anything yet.

OP
OP
BillFragnormous

BillFragnormous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an 8 gallon bio cube. I'd love some info on what you have found successful. My tank is empty and I have a heater and 1 piece of dead coral for decor. No water or anything yet.

Hi Katrina,
Welcome to the hobby. As far as what I have found successful, I don't think I can answer that just yet. I've only had my coral tank for just over 1 month, so I feel it is too soon to say if it is "successful" or not.

Since you are starting off new with only an 8 gallon tank I will suggest the following:
1. Do as much research as you possibly can. No matter if you're new or have been in the hobby for decades, there is always something new to learn. Arming yourself with as much information as you can will help in keeping a successful tank. I find this forum is GREAT for learning new information.
2. Don't always trust your local retailer. Although most are great and knowledgeable, some are just "sales people". They will try and sell you what you may not need or what may not work for your situation. What I find helpful, is to ask them questions that you already know the answer to. You'll find out pretty quick if you can trust them or not. I also like to chat up conversations with other customers and get info on what their experience is and what they are successful with.
3. Make 2 budgets: 1 for for your equipment & 1 for your livestock. This is probably the first rule that will go right out the window. Buy what you absolutely need and not necessarily what you want. Leave the "wants" for your "Wish List".
4. Equipment needs: Filtration, Lighting, Heater, and Test Kits. For an 8 gallon I think a hang on back filter will be perfectly fine (preferably one with flow adjustment). Lighting: I am trying LEDs and so far so good. a small basic heater and thermometer to keep temps level.
5. With budget in mind and being new to the hobby, find out what are the easiest & hardiest fish and corals you can keep in an 8 gallon Nano tank. With that said, don't just buy something because it is the easiest, hardiest or even the cheapest. You also really need to like it. So I would recommend getting a list of the easiest livestock that you can maintain and from that list choose the ones that you really like (Your Wish List). Now, from your wish list you need to make another list based on compatibility. Making sure all your tank inhabitants get along and live in harmony. Your fish and invertebrates not only need to be compatible but need to be reef safe as well. Look into soft corals as beginner corals.
6. Do not overstock. I would recommend 1 to 2 small fish, a couple small soft corals, maybe a couple peppermint shrimp, 1-2 hermits (to start with), 1-2 small turbo snails (to start with). In the beginning, you do not want too many crabs & snails. Even though they are considered to be an important part of your cleaner crew, you need to make sure there is enough food/algae for them to eat. Otherwise they will die of starvation. You can always add more when the tank is more established.
7. DO NOT USE TAP WATER. Buy RODI water or even invest in a RODI system if you can.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it helps. I already found out sales staff are not honest. I am patient about adding critters. I have some equipment already that I got with the tank. The test kit... Master test kit? Or is there something else I should get instead?

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry what?, you have a mandarin in that tank? Do you have a sump connected to the tank? Do you have a constant supply of pods for him?

OP
OP
BillFragnormous

BillFragnormous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry what?, you have a mandarin in that tank? Do you have a sump connected to the tank? Do you have a constant supply of pods for him?
Not sure why you're sorry.
Yes, I have a Mandarin in "that tank". No I do not have a sump. Yes I have a constant supply of pods for him (via weekly dosing of live Reef Stew from my LFS)! He is the only fish inhabitant in the tank so no completion for food.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back